Is Glass Really More Scratchable Than Plastic? Exploring the Mohs Hardness Scale

• Thread starter darknumbers
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of glass tables being easily scratchable despite having a higher hardness than normal plastics. The use of different formulations and types of glass, such as Flint and Crown glasses, may affect the scratch resistance. The speaker also suggests using polycarbonate lenses for children due to their shatter-resistant properties.
darknumbers
Glass tables can be easily found in many dining areas. But people always complain that they are easily scratchable. Here my friend has tried to use normal plastic (which has very low hardness) to scratch the glass top, what I can observe is it actually give small damages to the surface...

If according to Mohs Hardness Scale (Or some other theoretical tables), glass has higher hardness than normal plastics. But what are the reason behind this?

I'm not an expert nor student in material science. Any explanation will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might look into the differences between Flint and Crown glasses. All glass is not
created equal... There are lots of different formulations. Good luck.

As an optician, I advised parents of young or very active children to opt for polycarbonate lenses instead of conventional plastic or glass, because the poly is very shatter-resistant. It scratches very easily, but is as tough as can be.

What causes glasses to scratch?

Glasses can scratch due to a variety of factors, including contact with rough surfaces, exposure to harsh chemicals, and mishandling. The type of material used for the lenses and the coating on the glasses can also affect their scratch resistance.

Can all glasses be scratched?

While some glasses may be more resistant to scratches than others, all glasses have the potential to be scratched. However, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the likelihood of scratches, such as using a protective case and cleaning the glasses with a microfiber cloth.

How can I prevent scratches on my glasses?

In addition to using a protective case and cleaning them with a microfiber cloth, you can also avoid setting your glasses on rough surfaces and avoid using harsh chemicals near your glasses. It is also important to handle your glasses with care and avoid dropping or mishandling them.

Can scratched glasses be repaired?

In some cases, minor scratches on glasses can be buffed out by a professional. However, deep scratches or scratches on the coating of the glasses may not be repairable. It is best to consult with an optician for advice on repairing scratched glasses.

Are there any ways to make glasses more scratch-resistant?

Yes, there are several options for making glasses more scratch-resistant. Some glasses come with a special scratch-resistant coating that can be added to the lenses. You can also choose to purchase glasses made with a more durable material, such as polycarbonate or trivex, which are known for their scratch-resistant properties.