Is GPA the Only Measure of Success in Engineering School?

In summary: I never said that the lack of technical abilities would be overlooked if one were a fantastic writer and speaker. All I said was that, while important, it is by far not the sole thing employers look at. It is the communication ability that really allows for a person to move up the corporate ladder and to management so communication skill is as important if not ore so than technical skills (even though both are still damn important.)
YYaaSSeeRR
Hi

what would you think about an engineering school where many students are getting high GPA like 3.5 and above?? and the major is Electrical Engineering ! (which is sometimes considered as one of the hardest majors).

a student in the school I am talking about got 4.0 GPA >>his major is electrical engineering!
p.s: this student has part-time job too

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it is a school with high caliber, dedicated students. The example student you mentioned is clearly focusing all his/her energy in his/her studies, and doing what they can to stay in school (the reason for the part time job).

YYaaSSeeRR said:
Hi

what would you think about an engineering school where many students are getting high GPA like 3.5 and above?? and the major is Electrical Engineering ! (which is sometimes considered as one of the hardest majors).

a student in the school I am talking about got 4.0 GPA >>his major is electrical engineering!

Why do you care? What's your point?

YYaaSSeeRR said:
Hi

I keep telling people high GPAs don't necessarily mean they actually know anything. Anyone can get a high GPA but he's an engineer so it's more important for him to understand engineering concepts. I've seen people that are good students but are just terrible engineers. Plus why do you care what GPA other students have

GPA isn't all that matters. From what I've read, hiring managers rank technical knowledge and abilities lower thn stuff like teamwork, communication, writing, etc.

Just because one guy is faster at working out problem doesn't necessarily mean he's more valuable than a slower working engineer who is capable of keeping a team on task and running efficiently.

As I've read, engineering is not a field for the lone wolf. Yes, technical abilities is important, but it is by far not the most important thing and only thing it takes to be an engineer.

WK95 said:
As I've read, engineering is not a field for the lone wolf. Yes, technical abilities is important, but it is by far not the most important thing and only thing it takes to be an engineer.

it looks to me slightly wrong.If you do not have the technical abilities, simply you are not hired...they first look at your resume if you have the job skills and then the rest.At least that is my experience up to now.

and for the post itself: why do you care about others' GPA? he might be an honest hardworking student or a smart cheater who never got caught.You should care only for your own performance :)

mynick said:
it looks to me slightly wrong.If you do not have the technical abilities, simply you are not hired...they first look at your resume if you have the job skills and then the rest.At least that is my experience up to now.

and for the post itself: why do you care about others' GPA? he might be an honest hardworking student or a smart cheater who never got caught.You should care only for your own performance :)

I never said that the lack of technical abilities would be overlooked if one were a fantastic writer and speaker. All I said was that, while important, it is by far not the sole thing employers look at. It is the communication ability that really allows for a person to move up the corporate ladder and to management so communication skill is as important if not ore so than technical skills (even though both are still damn important.)

Related to Is GPA the Only Measure of Success in Engineering School?

What is a 4.0 GPA in engineering school?

A 4.0 GPA in engineering school refers to a perfect grade point average, which is the highest possible score a student can achieve. This means that the student has received an A grade in all of their classes.

Is it difficult to maintain a 4.0 GPA in engineering school?

Maintaining a 4.0 GPA in engineering school can be challenging as engineering courses are typically rigorous and require a lot of time and effort. It also depends on the individual's study habits and dedication to their coursework.

What are the benefits of having a 4.0 GPA in engineering school?

Having a 4.0 GPA in engineering school can open up many opportunities for a student. It can make them stand out to potential employers, increase their chances of receiving scholarships, and give them a competitive edge in graduate school applications.

Is it necessary to have a 4.0 GPA in engineering school to be successful?

No, a 4.0 GPA is not necessary to be successful in engineering. While it can be an impressive achievement, success in the field also depends on practical skills, problem-solving abilities, and networking.

How can I maintain a 4.0 GPA in engineering school?

To maintain a 4.0 GPA in engineering school, it is important to stay organized, manage your time effectively, attend classes regularly, actively participate in discussions, and seek help when needed. It is also crucial to have a strong understanding of the concepts and continuously review and practice them.