Is having a genius IQ a prerequisite to be the next Einstein

In summary, the individual is concerned about their IQ level and its potential impact on their chances of achieving a Nobel Prize in Physics. They also express a desire to become the next Einstein and Newton, but feel that their low IQ may hinder this goal. They mention struggling with all subjects, including math and physics, and describe feeling depressed and hopeless. They plan to have their IQ tested and express frustration with previous results. They also seek advice on how to cope with their situation and consider alternative career paths.
BlunderingGod said:
Caltech students get drunk?
I'm aware that I'm not special whatsoever.

Yes. Note: you didn't get the invite...

BlunderingGod said:
Though, it will be hard for the elite colleges to reject me in grad admissions since I will be godlike. I was thinking of trying to transfer to Caltech after two years, but I think that the better idea would be to stay at UCLA and become a god here by winning lots of prestigious awards with a high GPA (probably will be a 3.94 in the end) and make the elite colleges believe that they had made a big mistake overlooking me in undergrad admissions. I will make sure that this happens.

Look, you're already the BlunderingGod. I'd drop this whole payback mantra and focus on the underlined part. Getting a high GPA and deep understanding/ learning at UCLA will do you a startling amount of good. Maybe you'll even stop blundering...

Physics news on Phys.org
StoneTemplePython said:
Yes. Note: you didn't get the invite...
Look, you're already the BlunderingGod. I'd drop this whole payback mantra and focus on the underlined part. Getting a high GPA and deep understanding/ learning at UCLA will do you a startling amount of good. Maybe you'll even stop blundering...

Lol. I wonder how they got in when they are drunk-heads.

"Maybe" and making fun of my username... I guess you were trying to insult me there by reminding me of all of my undeserved blunders. That is some great help in times of depression like this. I'm still going to go with payback and have my revenge.

You want this thread closed? Is that what you want?

BlunderingGod said:
"Maybe" and making fun of my username... I guess you were trying to insult me there by reminding me of all of my undeserved blunders. That is some great help in times of depression like this. I'm still going to go with payback and have my revenge.

well no, I was having fun with wordplay, as always. My hope was that you'd be able to laugh and step back a bit: i.e. drop the revenge MO, focus on learning a few things deeply, and maybe remember that UCLA is an outstanding school. Your idea of focusing on excellent grades at UCLA struck me as quite smart.

BlunderingGod said:
Lol. I wonder how they got in when they are drunk-heads.

to be clear, in post 33 I did say grads from there. I.e. they are no longer in an undergrad program. Some recent, some not so much.
Also, occasionally pairing alcohol and math doesn't make you a drunk head. (Sticking with the grunge heritage of my name, your comment does sound like an AIC song called Junkhead though.)

StoneTemplePython said:
well no, I was having fun with wordplay, as always. My hope was that you'd be able to laugh and step back a bit: i.e. drop the revenge MO, focus on learning a few things deeply, and maybe remember that UCLA is an outstanding school. Your idea of focusing on excellent grades at UCLA struck me as quite smart.
to be clear, in post 33 I did say grads from there. I.e. they are no longer in an undergrad program. Some recent, some not so much.
Also, occasionally pairing alcohol and math doesn't make you a drunk head. (Sticking with the grunge heritage of my name, your comment does sound like an AIC song called Junkhead though.)
Right, I won't make an embarrassing mistake again.

BlunderingGod said:
I'm aware that I'm not special whatsoever.

Though, it will be hard for the elite colleges to reject me in grad admissions since I will be godlike. I was thinking of trying to transfer to Caltech after two years, but I think that the better idea would be to stay at UCLA and become a god here by winning lots of prestigious awards with a high GPA (probably will be a 3.94 in the end) and make the elite colleges believe that they had made a big mistake overlooking me in undergrad admissions. I will make sure that this happens.
This can no longer be taken as a student genuinely interested in getting admission to an elite school for Math, Physics, or the related.

(POST ADD: Still following along and trying, in contrast to that comment)

Last edited:
BlunderingGod said:
Are you saying that John von Neumann the polymath was not a genius? Some people have said that he was on a different level from Einstein in terms of intellectual ability.
You really missed the point.

symbolipoint said:
Tell me the point then. I would love to know.

This thread isn't really about gaining admission to colleges, but it is about the importance of talent and giftedness in becoming a genius like Einstein. I'm holding conflicting views on this. Does talent exist? If it does, can pure hard work beat talent and giftedness all the time even when it works hard? I also do not even know if I have a talent in anything.

BlunderingGod said:
Astronomy, physics, math. I am doing well in all of them. All As, where I should be. Studying is not much of a big deal since they are easy. They are needed for my major. I guess I'm fully capable of becoming the next Einstein; I haven't realized it.

BlunderingGod said:
I do not believe that an ordinary guy can become the next Einstein like Feynman had said. John von Neumann... I have lost a substantial bit of confidence in myself after learning about him.

symbolipoint said:
You are trying too hard to compare yourself to others who may or may not have been geniuses.

symbolipoint said:

BlunderingGod said:
Tell me the point then. I would love to know.

This thread isn't really about gaining admission to colleges, but it is about the importance of talent and giftedness in becoming a genius like Einstein. I'm holding conflicting views on this. Does talent exist? If it does, can pure hard work beat talent and giftedness all the time even when it works hard? I also do not even know if I have a talent in anything.
(Note I am having some trouble with the multiquote part of the system.)

The point is that you are YOU! You are not Einstein; and you are not Feynman; and you are not Von Neumann, nor any other highly accomplished scientist. You are overly proud of your earnings of high course grades and you believe you will always be able to earn them. Courses become, usually harder, as you progress to successive ones. Maybe you will need to struggle, soon (sooner or later) to stay above grade of C in one or more courses. You also seem to ignore the very limited slots for students admitted tof MIT or CalTech compared to the very numerous quantities of extremely qualified potential students who also want to attend there. ... But back to the point: You must put in your own effort to learn, and if both lucky and talented, you might learn to do some research, as LEARNING experience. You need some good grades and some lab practice through course work FIRST. Then, based on those, and how your skills meet some professors's research interests, you may find some academic research to do. You need to feel fortunate to have found it - not proud to have found it. Do well in it or at least give your honest effort to do well. (Think this: What can you show to a professor right now to convince him/her that you would be useful in helping in his/her research area? This is not a sales task; it is a "what is your evidence" task).

Likes Wrichik Basu
BlunderingGod said:
I refuse to believe that I do not belong at Caltech.

Obviously something in your application package wasn't impressive and I agree with @symbolipoint , your attitude is not something I would want to have around and you accused my co-worker of being an arrogant brat (I'd look in the mirror if I were you to see the definition of that).

Likes Nik_2213 and weirdoguy
Dr Transport said:
Obviously something in your application package wasn't impressive and I agree with @symbolipoint , your attitude is not something I would want to have around and you accused my co-worker of being an arrogant brat (I'd look in the mirror if I were you to see the definition of that).
Well, that was exactly how you wanted to portray him.

Of course, my application wasn't impressive at all and I will make myself 10000000x more impressive in college. You obviously do not know how it feels to be a miserable loser.

How wonderful. Even more uncalled-for insults.

I guess I'm too genius or too mentally retarded for people to understand me. I'm taking the former.

Last edited by a moderator:
symbolipoint said:
(Note I am having some trouble with the multiquote part of the system.)

The point is that you are YOU! You are not Einstein; and you are not Feynman; and you are not Von Neumann, nor any other highly accomplished scientist. You are overly proud of your earnings of high course grades and you believe you will always be able to earn them. Courses become, usually harder, as you progress to successive ones. Maybe you will need to struggle, soon (sooner or later) to stay above grade of C in one or more courses. You also seem to ignore the very limited slots for students admitted tof MIT or CalTech compared to the very numerous quantities of extremely qualified potential students who also want to attend there. ... But back to the point: You must put in your own effort to learn, and if both lucky and talented, you might learn to do some research, as LEARNING experience. You need some good grades and some lab practice through course work FIRST. Then, based on those, and how your skills meet some professors's research interests, you may find some academic research to do. You need to feel fortunate to have found it - not proud to have found it. Do well in it or at least give your honest effort to do well. (Think this: What can you show to a professor right now to convince him/her that you would be useful in helping in his/her research area? This is not a sales task; it is a "what is your evidence" task).
Yes, but I feel total envy that these guys have it much easier than I do at life. They probably had high IQs since birth while I probably have a mediocre IQ due to stupid genetics and environment. I'll do whatever to get all As; it shouldn't be a problem as long as I study.

BlunderingGod said:
That graduate you spoke of sounds like an arrogant brat, the worst kind of individual I have ever encountered in high school.

Judge not, let ye be judged.

BlunderingGod said:
Astronomy, physics, math. I am doing well in all of them. All As, where I should be

That's not what you said before, in the late, un-lamented thread.

I'm prepared to believe you got all A's. I'm prepared to believe you got a 2.5 average. I'm not prepared to believe both simultaneously.

Just to answer the question - no you do not have to have a genius IQ. Feynman had an IQ of 128 but was still a genius. Why? Because IQ measures not only ability at math etc, but also language and similar skills. In his Princeton admissions exam Feynman got 100% in math and physics - a feat never achieved before - but the lowest scores ever seen in Humanities. IQ measures something - but not necessarily if you have the kind of genius Einstein had which was the ability to penetrate a problem perhaps better than anyone else of his time.

With my mentor hat on some of the posts here border on, how to put it, getting off topic and personal. This is an interesting topic and it would be a pity if it was closed.

Thanks
Bill

Vanadium 50 said:
Judge not, let ye be judged.
That's not what you said before, in the late, un-lamented thread.

I'm prepared to believe you got all A's. I'm prepared to believe you got a 2.5 average. I'm not prepared to believe both simultaneously.
No, I have a 4.0 average. I don't know what you are talking about.

We are obviously not capable of giving any advice that passes the test. I'll abstain from deducing how incredibly ridiculous this is.
BlunderingGod said:
I guess I'm too genius or too mentally retarded for people to understand me. I'm taking the former.
If you are what you think you are, we will hear from you. I'm not convinced that this will happen. I think enough has been said.

Thread closed.

Likes Nik_2213, bhobba, hmmm27 and 3 others
Good catch on an internet TROLL fresh.

Likes bhobba and Dr Transport