Is in the one-way current have selfinduction? and if yes why, if no why?

• Thread starter scientist91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation involves discussing the importance of presenting clear and unambiguous questions in order to receive well-informed answers. The concept of self-inductance is also mentioned, with examples given for calculating it in different scenarios. The conversation also addresses language barriers and the importance of being polite when communicating with others.
scientist91
Answer please

Physics news on Phys.org
scientist91 said:
Answer please

If you wish someone to put some EFFORT in answer your question, you should at least put in the same amount of effort in present a clear and unambiguous question. This will not cut it. The geometry of the current make a heck of a difference here. The self-inductance of a straight line current will be different than a coil. Your question gives no such clarification.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
If you wish someone to put some EFFORT in answer your question, you should at least put in the same amount of effort in present a clear and unambiguous question. This will not cut it. The geometry of the current make a heck of a difference here. The self-inductance of a straight line current will be different than a coil. Your question gives no such clarification.

Zz.
But isn't it that the electrons which are going across conductor have magnetic field, so they are moving and the magnetic field is moving so there is some electromagnetic induction? Logically.

Please, before discussing anything, start by translating this sentense:

is in the one-way current have selfinduction? and if yes why, if no why?

in an intelligible language.

lalbatros said:
Please, before discussing anything, start by translating this sentense:

in an intelligible language.
If u are from Mars u will not understand for sure.:smile:

scientist91 said:
If u are from Mars u will not understand for sure.:smile:
I must be martian.

I think the best way to express this problem unambiguously is to imagine two widely separated oppositely charged spheres connected through a switch by a straight wire. Then the question is:
When the switch is thrown will the spheres once discharged, recharge somewhat with opposite polarity due to the self induction of the current through the wire. In short is this an LC circuit.

The answer I am certain is: Yes. My well trained intuition tells me this must be the case else electromagnetic waves could not propagate. Even the virtual Maxwell current due to a changing E field must have a component of "self induction" in order for the E-M wave to propagate. However there is a slight chance I am wrong. So do the math or better yet do the physical experiment.

Further I think the calculation of the self inductance per unit length will be the same as if you take the limit on a square loop of wire as the size goes to infinity.

Also try working out the self-inductance per unit length of a coaxial cable as the radius goes to infinity.

Regards,
James Baugh

jambaugh said:
I think the best way to express this problem unambiguously is to imagine two widely separated oppositely charged spheres connected through a switch by a straight wire. Then the question is:
When the switch is thrown will the spheres once discharged, recharge somewhat with opposite polarity due to the self induction of the current through the wire. In short is this an LC circuit.

The answer I am certain is: Yes. My well trained intuition tells me this must be the case else electromagnetic waves could not propagate. Even the virtual Maxwell current due to a changing E field must have a component of "self induction" in order for the E-M wave to propagate. However there is a slight chance I am wrong. So do the math or better yet do the physical experiment.

Further I think the calculation of the self inductance per unit length will be the same as if you take the limit on a square loop of wire as the size goes to infinity.

Also try working out the self-inductance per unit length of a coaxial cable as the radius goes to infinity.

Regards,
James Baugh
Can u explain simpler please. Thank u.

If you are asking whether a wire, by itself, has any self-inductance, then yes.

If you are asking whether a constant current flowing in that wire is at all affected by that self-inductance, then no, because inductance doesn't "do" anything unless you have time-varying voltages/currents.

If you are asking anything else, I'm afraid you'll need to spend a little more time working out the English grammar of your sentences. We can't really understand you. Sorry! :frown:

scientist91 said:
Can u explain simpler please. Thank u.
Hard to make simpler than this. If u are from Mars u will not understand for sure.

I totally agree with jambaugh.
The self-inductance per unit length in a coaxial cable is:
[tex]{L\over\ell}={\mu\over2\pi}\ln{R_2\over R_1}[/tex]
R1 and R2 are the radius of the internal and external conductor. When the external radius goes to infinity, self-inductance per unit length tends also to infinity.

is in the direct current have selfinduction (electromagnet induction)? and if yes why, if no why? Anybody from here have studied physics?

OK, I'm pretty sure I already answered your question. Is there some part of my response you are having trouble understanding?

Also, it's irritating that you keep asking the question exactly the same way, after you've been told that your English is completely incomprehensible. Please rephrase if you are not satisfied with any of these answers.

Last edited:
Xezlec said:
OK, I'm pretty sure I already answered your question. Is there some part of my response you are having trouble understanding?

Also, it's irritating that you keep asking the question exactly the same way, after you've been told that your English is completely incomprehensible. Please rephrase if you are not satisfied with any of these answers.
What you can't understand in the question? btw- I didn't understand nothing.

The problem is that your sentence makes no grammatical sense.

For example, if you said "Is there self-inductance by a direct current in a cable?", that would be much clearer. It appears to be approximately what you're asking, but since that question was already answered, you must not mean that.

scientist91 said:
Anybody from here have studied physics?
Yes. Longtime and better than you.

We have also learned from our parents to be polite.

English is not my mother tongue.
But I am quigte sure that this sentense:
is in the one-way current have selfinduction
- is gramatically incorrect
- cannot be understood, even approximately, by a majority of people
- could not describe a real question in physics, even if corrected for its poor grammar​
If physicsits are martians, then I am one for sure, I have a complete pedigree in physics and engineering as well.

I like precision.

lalbatros said:
English is not my mother tongue.
But I am quigte sure that this sentense:

- is gramatically incorrect
- cannot be understood, even approximately, by a majority of people
- could not describe a real question in physics, even if corrected for its poor grammar​
If physicsits are martians, then I am one for sure, I have a complete pedigree in physics and engineering as well.

I like precision.
what is incorrect?
self-induction?
ANSWER ON MY QUESTION IF U KNOW THE ANSWER, DON't TRY TO IMPROVE MY ENGLISH THERE IS ANOTHER TOPIC FOR THAT. SO BE POLITE PLEASE, IF U WANT THE SAME FROM ME>

The problem with this sentense is that there are two verbs.

If you were polite, you would at least try to understand why nobody answers your question and you would not assume people here are not physicists, which is really laughable.

I told you about your sentense because I was willing to give an answer.
All you gave in return is insults.
You are not a gentlemen, nor a physicist.
Or show us if you are.

Last edited:
I support totally lalbatros.
I think that a moderator should close this thread.

I cannot understand your question.
But the key word in this ill-formed sentense is obviously "self-induction".
The Lenz law is qualitively very clear to answer ANY question regarding self-induction.
Quantitative results can be obtained by many different ways for this type of question.
The methods go from circuits theory up to retarded potential, all confirming quantitatively the Lenz law and all being consequences of the Maxwell's equations.

For the lenz law, just go on wiki where you will read this simple fact:
For a current induced in a conductor, the current is in such a direction that its own magnetic field opposes the change that produced it.

Last edited:
scientist91 said:
What you can't understand in the question?

I am so glad you asked that.

"Is in the one-way current have selfinduction?"

Based on the fact that this is a question beginning with "is", I first thought the grammatical form you intended was "Is (Noun phrase) (Noun phrase)?" But since there is another verb later, that can't be right. I decided to assume the word "is" was an error and should have been "does", and that you actually intended the form "Does (Noun phrase) (Verb phrase)". I'm really not sure though.

However, the next word is "in", which is a preposition. It is not obvious to me how to interpret a prepositional phrase when it occurs where a noun phrase should be. Further, it isn't obvious how something can be "in" a "current", or what it is that is in the current. I assumed the word "in" was an accident and shouldn't be there, but I'm still not really certain.

The first noun phrase I see is "the one-way current". Your use of the definite article "the" indicates that there is some particular one-way current you are taking about, but you haven't referred to it elsewhere, so I am confused. I assumed the word "the" was an accident and should be "a".

"one-way current" sounds like it means either current which does not ever reverse direction, or current which does not contain any streams of current heading the other direction. I assumed you didn't mean either of these, but instead that you were trying to talk about constant current (DC).

"current" can mean many things. I assumed you meant electric current because you mentioned induction.

"have" is the plural third-person case of the verb indicating ownership. Since there is no plural noun phrase in the sentence, it isn't necessarily clear what the subject is. I assumed "have" was an error and should be "has".

"selfinduction" is not an English word. I assumed it was an error and should be "self-inductance", but there are other possiblities. "Self-induction" might mean something too, but it's a little unclear exactly what in this context.

Semantically, then, you seem to be asking if it is true that "the one-way current" has the property "selfinduction". However (and this is the most important part), self-inductance is not a property of current, so the question, as far I can tell, is completely meaningless. It doesn't even make sense to ask if a "current" has self-inductance.

Furthermore, the context is totally absent. Is this current just a stream of charged particles in free space? Is it a current in a wire? A current in an inductor? What are the dimensions, geometry, and construction of the environment? These are the things that determine self-inductance, and you haven't even mentioned them, so even if the question made semantic sense, it is still an incomplete problem.

In summary, then, each of the 8 words in the question is wrong in its own way, and some of them are wrong in more than one way. And what's more, it isn't obvious that there is a sensible or complete question buried within, even if the grammar could be corrected.

The final thing that is wrong is your attitude. You seem to think you are more likely to get people to spend their time helping you if you are rude to them. That is unlikely to hold true.

You said you don't understand any part of my answer, in which case you need to study English and/or physics. My answer was phrased very clearly, and I don't think anyone could put it more clearly.

Last edited:
This thread is going nowhere.

OP: We reserve the right to ignore poorly worded questions. If you want a good answer you must post a good question. Yours, as has been pointed out, is unintelligible. Please try again with a better translation.

1. Is self-induction present in a one-way current?

Yes, self-induction can still occur in a one-way current. Self-induction is a phenomenon where a changing current in a circuit induces a voltage in the same circuit, which can happen even in a one-way current.

2. What causes self-induction in a one-way current?

Self-induction in a one-way current is caused by the changing magnetic field created by the current. As the current changes, the magnetic field also changes, inducing a voltage in the same circuit.

3. How does self-induction affect a one-way current?

Self-induction can create an opposing voltage in a one-way current, which can cause a delay in the current flow. This can also lead to energy loss and disturbances in the circuit.

4. Can self-induction be eliminated in a one-way current?

No, self-induction cannot be completely eliminated in a one-way current. However, measures such as adding inductors or capacitors in the circuit can help reduce its effects.

5. Are there any benefits of self-induction in a one-way current?

Yes, self-induction can be beneficial in certain cases. It can be used to create transformers, which are essential in power distribution systems. It can also be used to store energy in devices like inductors and motors.