1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to create a SINGLE circular wave?

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    Just thinking, when you drop a single drop of water into a body of water you get ripples, not a single ripple. That's because the water at the contact point goes up and down. Is it possible to create a single circular wave? That will make it easier to observe the behavior of a single wave in a ripple tank, without being confused by interference.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. But almost. It would be very complicated to make since it would have to be a combinations of a very large number of frequencies. But you could, technically, create a wave that had one very large peak followed by very, very small peaks.

AM

4. May 13, 2012 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

Here is what comes to me as a possible way.

Take a circular disk with a little ring attached to it at the center, so you can pull the disk by the ring.

Now put the disk on a still water. Pull the disk a little bit so it lifts slightly, while still being in contact with the water (due to surface tension). Now release the disk suddenly. The rim of the disk will initiate a circular wave and it is possible that its front would be thin, as the water under disk can't wave afterwards.

I haven't tried it, it's just a guess, but I think up to 75% it may work.

One problem is, that even if this method worked, unless one created a really big splash like tsunami, the wave would have thin front only in the first instant, and will spread afterwards into broad waves afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook