Is it possible to get a Mentor for personal mentorship?

• Thread starter jordi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mentor
In summary: There is a local chapter of the American Physical Society, but I'm not sure if they have any meetings currently scheduled.
jordi
I am a person working in the private sector. I studied physics, up to MSc level (QFT, string theory). But then I moved towards the private sector, raising a family, etc.

My wish is to try and understand QFT at the non-perturbative level. I do not need to write any paper on that subject, just to feel I understand well the subject (in other words, to internally feel that I understand the main stumbling blocks that prevent professional physicists to be able to define Yang-Mills as a non-perturbative theory, and to mix General Relativity and QFT/SM into a quantum gravity theory).

When I have some time, I try to read books that interest me. But (probably for some psychological failure I have) my attention span does not last enough to finish a given book. My personal experience (in other fields, different from physics) is that when I recurrently speak with somebody else about a given subject, then my attention span improves dramatically.

So, what I would like is to have a mentor that guides me for the following say 30 years of my life, in this path. I do not know if this is possible (especially, a mentor with no physical meetings, as a PhD advisor would be, for example), or if anybody would be interested in being my mentor at all.

Have there been previous experiences on this endeavor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a good candidate for AI. I don't think it's developed to that point yet, though.

Likes preddy and jordi
berkeman said:
Sounds like a good candidate for AI. I don't think it's developed to that point yet, though.

AI? Artificial intelligence?

I think I need more like a "human intelligence", more on the "emotional" side ... :)

Likes berkeman
Are you near any universities with Physics departments? Are there societies that have local chapters near you who have/had meetings and presentations? Hopefully such in-person get-togethers can resume soon after the COVID vaccine becomes available.

I used to belong to the Society for Information Display, and we had monthly meetings where members and guests presented about their work on display development. It was very interesting and valuable for me, and a great way to meet people who were interested in many of the same things I was.

Would some group in APS be a good place to start? Is there a local chapter near you that is active?

Likes bhobba and jordi

1. Can anyone get a personal mentor?

Yes, anyone can get a personal mentor. It is important to find someone who is willing to take on the role of a mentor and who has the knowledge and experience in the area you are seeking mentorship in.

2. How do I find a suitable mentor?

There are many ways to find a suitable mentor. You can reach out to your network, attend networking events, or join mentorship programs. It is important to find someone who has the experience and expertise in the area you are seeking mentorship in.

3. What are the benefits of having a personal mentor?

Having a personal mentor can provide guidance, support, and valuable insights from someone who has been through similar experiences. They can also help you set goals and hold you accountable, as well as introduce you to new opportunities and connections.

4. How often should I meet with my mentor?

The frequency of meetings with your mentor depends on your individual needs and the availability of your mentor. It is important to establish a schedule that works for both of you, whether it is weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.

5. What should I look for in a mentor?

When looking for a mentor, it is important to find someone who has the experience, knowledge, and skills in the area you are seeking mentorship in. They should also be someone you feel comfortable with and who is willing to invest their time and energy in your development.