Is it possible to read higher temperatures than mediums?

• Thread starter Thermo
  • Start date
In summary, the lab research assistant observed a higher temperature reading for a metal immersed in a bath than for water in the same bath, which goes against the second law of thermodynamics. This could only make sense if the metal was initially at a higher temperature and had not reached equilibrium yet. However, the possibility of a chemical reaction or faulty equipment, such as a broken thermometer, cannot be ruled out. The instructor's explanation that the atoms in the metal were closer together does not fully explain the temperature difference.
Thermo
I know it sounds nonsense but our lab research assistant said today we could read higher temperature of a metal inside a bath than that of water when it was immersed. For example water is steady and 50 degrees and we read a 90 degrees of an immersed metal. And we observed that. How can it be possible?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
He said because its atoms are closer to each other. But that explains the speed of heating not the temperature.

Unless there is some kind of chemical reaction taking place, that doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Likes Thermo
It makes sense only if the metal was initially hotter and equilibrium has not been reached yet. Otherwise, it is a clear violation of the second law.

Likes Thermo
DrClaude said:
It makes sense only if the metal was initially hotter and equilibrium has not been reached yet. Otherwise, it is a clear violation of the second law.
No metal was at room temperature and I am sure the room was not 90 celsius degrees.

Then our instructor was high or something...

Thermo said:
Then our instructor was high or something...
If you just knew some of the silly things lab instructors told me when I was a student...

Likes Thermo
Hahaha yea only logical expression and also thermometer-thermocouple was possibly broken.

Thermo said:
Hahaha yea only logical expression and also thermometer-thermocouple was possibly broken.
What did it read when you pointed it at the palm of your hand? :smile:

Don't know exactly. I didn't touch it some other students did. But it was at 24 degrees which was the room temperature before it was immersed into bath. Water in bath was at 80 btw.

Oh, it was a contact thermometer. I had assumed it was an IR imaging thermometer.

It was a thermocouple connected inside the metallic cylinder.

1. Can we read higher temperatures than mediums?

Yes, it is possible to read higher temperatures than mediums. This is because there are various methods and instruments that can accurately measure temperatures at extremely high levels.

2. How high of a temperature can be accurately measured?

The highest temperature that can be accurately measured depends on the type of instrument being used. Some instruments can measure temperatures up to 3000°C, while others can measure up to 200,000,000°C.

3. What are some methods used for measuring high temperatures?

Some common methods for measuring high temperatures include thermocouples, radiation pyrometers, and optical pyrometers. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different temperature ranges.

4. Are there any challenges in measuring high temperatures?

Yes, there are some challenges in measuring high temperatures. For example, at extremely high temperatures, materials may start to melt or vaporize, making it difficult to get an accurate measurement. Additionally, extreme temperatures can also affect the accuracy of the measuring instrument.

5. How is the accuracy of high temperature measurements ensured?

The accuracy of high temperature measurements is ensured through regular calibration and maintenance of the measuring instruments. It is also important to use the appropriate instrument for the specific temperature range being measured and to follow proper measurement techniques.