1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is it possible to read higher temperatures than mediums?

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    I know it sounds nonsense but our lab research assistant said today we could read higher temperature of a metal inside a bath than that of water when it was immersed. For example water is steady and 50 degrees and we read a 90 degrees of an immersed metal. And we observed that. How can it be possible?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2
    He said because its atoms are closer to each other. But that explains the speed of heating not the temperature.

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless there is some kind of chemical reaction taking place, that doesn't seem reasonable to me.

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It makes sense only if the metal was initially hotter and equilibrium has not been reached yet. Otherwise, it is a clear violation of the second law.

6. Oct 24, 2016 #5
    No metal was at room temperature and I am sure the room was not 90 celsius degrees.

Then our instructor was high or something...

7. Oct 24, 2016 #6

DrClaude

If you just knew some of the silly things lab instructors told me when I was a student...

8. Oct 24, 2016 #7
    Hahaha yea only logical expression and also thermometer-thermocouple was possibly broken.

9. Oct 24, 2016 #8

berkeman

What did it read when you pointed it at the palm of your hand? :smile:

10. Oct 24, 2016 #9
    Don't know exactly. I didn't touch it some other students did. But it was at 24 degrees which was the room temperature before it was immersed into bath. Water in bath was at 80 btw.

11. Oct 24, 2016 #10

berkeman

Oh, it was a contact thermometer. I had assumed it was an IR imaging thermometer.

12. Oct 24, 2016 #11
    It was a thermocouple connected inside the metallic cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted