Is it possible to see Newton rings in CT (xray) images?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ireland01
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I have seen what looks like Newtons rings interference pattern in transverse CT images of 2 solid water block on
top of each other. My understanding is that Newtons rings occur in visible light eg photography or scanners. Can anyone shed some light on this? :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly possible for Newton's rings to form from any kind of light - including x-rays. The trick it to work out what sort of lens to use to demonstrate this.
You get the rings from light passing through a spherical lens on a reflective plane surface ... would the geometry of the "two blocks of water" be consistent with this?

We need more information to work out what is causing the pattern you see - there are lots of possible causes of ripple effects in an image.
You may like to look at:
http://www.x-ray-optics.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=63&lang=en
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ireland01 said:
I have seen what looks like Newtons rings interference pattern in transverse CT images of 2 solid water block on
top of each other. My understanding is that Newtons rings occur in visible light eg photography or scanners. Can anyone shed some light on this? :)

If I understand you correctly, those are artifacts produced by breathing (motion) during a scan:
http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/3234993/142d6c6760890cec00173fad02b622_gallery.png
http://images.radiopaedia.org/images/6109236/da8a628b604924c56bb5a7b2ba84d8_big_gallery.JPG

If I am misunderstanding, can you post/link to an image?