Is it possible to simplify equations like the following

• Thread starter gokuls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
These expressions can't be simplified further as the base is not a perfect power of the power. However, they can be approximated using Taylor series or other numerical methods. In summary, these expressions can be simplified by factoring out the greatest common denominator, but cannot be simplified further as the base is not a perfect power of the power. They can be approximated using numerical methods.
gokuls
These are just some example equations:

60^x-36^x
or
30^x-25^x

where the x is raised to the power. How can (if possible) I simplify these equations?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gokuls said:

60^x-36^x
or
30^x-25^x

where the x is raised to the power. How can (if possible) I simplify these equations?

I don't see any equations. An equation should have an "=" sign somewhere.

If you treat it as an expression (and not an equation like micromass pointed out), you might want to consider that for x > 0, y > 0,

(SQRT(x))^(2a) - (SQRT(y))^(2b)

= (SQRT(x)^a + SQRT(y)^b)*(SQRT(x)^a - SQRT(y)^b)

gokuls said:

60^x-36^x
or
30^x-25^x

So generally, you're looking at expressions of the form [itex]a^x-b^x[/itex] for positive a and b.
Sadly, no. That is the simplest form you can have it in.

You can factorise them, using the ordinary rules of numbers raised to powers, e.g. the first would be
12x(5x - 3x) . Whether you call that a simplification and whether and when it is of any usefulness are other questions, but it shouldn't be a difficulty to see.

Merci beaucoup à tout! I suspected that it wouldn't be able to reducible, but I just wanted to make sure.

gokuls said:

60^x-36^x
[tex](6(10))^x- (6(6))^x= 6^x10^x- 6^x6^x= 6^x(10^x- 6^x)[/tex]

or
30^x-25^x
[tex](6(5))^x- (5(5))^x= 5^x6^x- 5^x5^x= 5^x(6^x- 5^x)[/tex]

However, neither [itex]10^x- 6^x[/itex] nor [itex]6^x- 5^x[/itex] can be further simplified.

where the x is raised to the power.
You mean "where the x is the power."

How can (if possible) I simplify these equations?

gokuls said:

60^x-36^x
or
30^x-25^x

If you wanted to solve an equation in this form (e.g. set it equal to something like a constant) you could solve it with the Lambert W function.

HallsofIvy said:
However, neither [itex]10^x- 6^x[/itex] nor [itex]6^x- 5^x[/itex] can be further simplified.
The first one can. The gcd of 10 and 6 is 2.

gokuls said:

60^x-36^x
or
30^x-25^x

where the x is raised to the power. How can (if possible) I simplify these [strike]equations[/strike] expressions?

Previous posts have simplified these by factoring out the greatest common denominators of 60, 36 and of 30, 25.

Another way is to take advantage of the fact that 1x=1:

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
60^x-36^x
=& 36^x \left( (60/36)^x - (36/36)^x \right)
= 36^x \left( (5/3)^x - 1\right) \\
30^x-25^x
=& 25^x \left( (30/25)^x - (25/25)^x \right)
= 25^x \left( (6/5)^x - 1\right)
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

1. Can all equations be simplified?

Not all equations can be simplified. Some equations are already simplified and cannot be further reduced.

2. What are the benefits of simplifying equations?

Simplifying equations can make them easier to solve and understand. It can also help identify patterns and relationships within the equation.

3. How do you simplify equations?

To simplify an equation, you can combine like terms, use the distributive property, and apply rules of exponents and logarithms.

4. Is it necessary to simplify equations?

It is not always necessary to simplify equations, but it can make them easier to work with and help in finding the solution.

5. Can simplifying equations change the solution?

Yes, simplifying equations can change the solution. This is because simplification involves manipulating the terms and operations within the equation, which can lead to a different solution.