Is it possible to use cathodic protection on metal kitchen sinks?

In summary, galvanic corrosion can be prevented by using cathodic protection, which is a sacrificial electrode that is used with a DC voltage. This is usually done with zinc-coated grounding rods.
theycallmevirgo
Or is that an electrocution hazard?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aren't "universal building codes" written around an assumption/assertion that water supply/plumbing can be/is regarded as "universal ground/zero" electrical potential? Ground is tied to water supply in my house.

Likes theycallmevirgo and russ_watters
Yes you can do it. But it helps only if you are getting galvanic corrosion in your sink. That's certainly possible, but I've never heard of it in real life.

What makes you think your sink suffers from galvanic corrosion?

Cathodic protection can be active or passive. Active protection uses a DC voltage, on the order of 1v (be sure to get the sign right, the sink must be more negative in voltage). Passive protection uses a sacrificial anode such as zinc, or aluminum, instead of a DC voltage. Passive protection can not be installed backward, and it has no battery that might die.

Read more about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes theycallmevirgo, russ_watters and berkeman
Cathodic protection on metal kitchen sinks?
The electrode would rapidly become coated with detergent or hydroxide sludge, which would insulate the sink surface.

If it worked, a sacrificial electrode would be consumed and need to be replaced.

Likes theycallmevirgo
Any half-decent kitchen sink should be free of visible corrosion within its expected (average kitchen) usage. If there is corrosion, then something is not OK either with the material of the sink or with the usage. Neither of that can be patched up by such external means like cathodic protection: not easily, at least.

So while it is possible, I suggest to save the effort.

By the way, I had to read it thrice to get 'cathodic' right :sorry: Some quirks in my brain circuits went on 'catholic' instead :woot:
Almost wrote something about 'prayers won't save sinks' or so:doh:

• Haha
Likes theycallmevirgo, russ_watters and anorlunda
Yeah, thanks again, but Rive has it right - I didn't do enough digging. It seems that "rust" on stainless steel actually comes from other sources and can be cleaned.

Likes berkeman
theycallmevirgo said:
"rust" on stainless steel actually comes from other sources and can be cleaned.
Yup. Cleansers with Oxalic Acid work fine. There are a couple here in the US available in the grocery stores, 'Barkeepers Friend' and 'Bon Ami' are the two I can remember.

theycallmevirgo said:
Or is that an electrocution hazard?
Passive cathodic protection (i.e. zinc-coated grounding rods) was sometimes used together with enameled iron kitchen sinks, with good results. Nowadays, kitchen sinks are usually made of SUS303 stainless alloy, and do not need cathodic protection at all.

Well, metal kitchen sinks are always critical and its very important to use the right protection for them.

If you are going to take my opinion, I would say Cathodic protection prevents corrosion by converting all of the anodic (active) sites on the metal surface( for ex- the metal kitchen sink just like you mentioned) to cathodic (passive) sites by supplying electrical current (or free electrons) from an alternate source which is dedicated too. Usually this takes the form of galvanic anodes, which are more active than steel. So the answer is yes it can be used however that depends on the preference of every individual, I do use it

1. Can cathodic protection be used on all types of metal kitchen sinks?

Yes, cathodic protection can be used on all types of metal kitchen sinks, including stainless steel, cast iron, and copper sinks.

2. How does cathodic protection work on metal kitchen sinks?

Cathodic protection works by creating an electrical current that flows from a more reactive metal (anode) to the metal sink (cathode). This current prevents the sink from corroding by sacrificing the anode instead.

3. Is cathodic protection a permanent solution for preventing corrosion on metal kitchen sinks?

No, cathodic protection is not a permanent solution. It requires regular maintenance and monitoring to ensure that the anode is still functioning properly and to replace it when necessary.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using cathodic protection on metal kitchen sinks?

One potential risk of using cathodic protection on metal sinks is the possibility of overprotection, which can lead to hydrogen embrittlement and damage to the sink. Additionally, cathodic protection may not be effective in high chloride environments, such as near the ocean.

5. Can cathodic protection be used on already corroded metal kitchen sinks?

Yes, cathodic protection can be used on already corroded metal sinks. However, the corrosion should be addressed and repaired before implementing cathodic protection to ensure its effectiveness.