Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to work in the aerospace department without studying ae

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Hi my name is ABD EL HAMEED,I'm an 18 year old guy from Cairo,Egypt
    I registered here because I was interested in the aerospace forum here which brings me to to my question
    Can I work in designing planes without studying aeronautics at Uni?
    I wanted to study aeronautics here but the thing is there's only 1 University in Egypt where you can do that,sadly though I was unable to score high enough in high school to get accepted there so instead I'm now a computer science student,but I still do intend to teach myself aeronautics through the internet and by any other possible ways
    So is it still possible?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure you can. Aircraft have many different systems. Someone has to write the control software an logic, for example, so there are CS guys who do that. There are also many, many mechanical engineers involved in much the same role as aeronautical engineers, so you may want to consider that route. Other than that, there are a lot of electrical engineers and materials scientists working on aircraft and even a civil engineer or two.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks
    I also wanted to know if you may get involved in the aircraft designing process itself?

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said, that is a huge topic and no one type of engineer does it. Which part of the design process most interests you?

6. Sep 17, 2013 #5
    Drawing the design of the plane itself
    I know it's a bit silly since I won't have the degree in aeronautics but IG there's even a tiny little ray of hope then I won't give up...

7. Sep 17, 2013 #6

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your best bet is mechanical engineering then. Just focus your electives on aerodynamics courses.

8. Sep 18, 2013 #7
    OK thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook