Is it realistic to go from an undeclared major to a comp sci major?

In summary: If you go to UCSD, and if you are not accepted into comp sci, there are many other engineering fields you would be happy with. If you are not accepted into any engineering field at all, it is possible to pursue another major.
Hamiltonian
I have been accepted into the comp sci program at the University of California Santa Cruz(UCSC) and as an undeclared major at the University of California San Diego(UCSD). UCSD is ranked higher than UCSC, but UCSC is known for having a pretty good computer science department. If I had gotten the major of my choice at UCSD, I'd choose it in a heartbeat.

Further research showed that only around 10% of all students are able to enter into engineering majors and computer science is usually the hardest and most competitive to get into. I heard if one is able to maintain a GPA of 4 and above then it isn't too difficult (is a GPA of 4+ really difficult to obtain?) to switch into any major, apparently some colleges also have a lottery system to obtain comp sci!(relying on luck sounds a little risky)

Some folks are recommending me to take the better ranking college but others say that it's wiser to pick a college which is offering the major of my choice and not to think too much about rankings. I have around a month to pick one, both colleges have their pro's and con's but the undeclared major is quite a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Joshy
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't offer any advice on this matter, but massive props to you for achieving both of those offers! 🎉

Likes FuzzySphere and Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
Further research showed that only around 10% of all students are able to enter into engineering majors and computer science is usually the hardest and most competitive to get into. I heard if one is able to maintain a GPA of 4 and above then it isn't too difficult (is a GPA of 4+ really difficult to obtain?) to switch into any major, apparently some colleges also have a lottery system to obtain comp sci!(relying on luck sounds a little risky)
<<Emphasis added.>> I wouldn't gamble my future on hearsay. Is there a written policy concerning criteria for acceptance into a specific major? I mean, you don't want to end up spending 4 yrs and $$$ to become an art history major by default, if your target major is comp sci.

Likes Hamiltonian
CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added.>> I wouldn't gamble my future on hearsay. Is there a written policy concerning criteria for acceptance into a specific major?
The official FAQ says that about 60% overall of students who have applied through the engineering Major change process have been accepted in. But these numbers differ substantially from one year to another and from one major to another. It ends by saying something rather bleak, "The process is highly competitive and you cannot count on getting in" :(

The CSE major in particular requires a good gpa(3.5+) and then there is a lottery system to choose from eligible candidates. In 2019 out of the 126 eligible students 80 were able to make it, but they have only 55 open seats now.

would you advice for or against taking these chances in order to get CSE at a better ranked college? or is it wiser to stick with the fixed major in a lower ranking college.

I'm going to send you a DM :) I recommend UCSC though.

Likes Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
The official FAQ says that about 60% overall of students who have applied through the engineering Major change process have been accepted in. But these numbers differ substantially from one year to another and from one major to another. It ends by saying something rather bleak, "The process is highly competitive and you cannot count on getting in" :(

The CSE major in particular requires a good gpa(3.5+) and then there is a lottery system to choose from eligible candidates. In 2019 out of the 126 eligible students 80 were able to make it, but they have only 55 open seats now.

would you advice for or against taking these chances in order to get CSE at a better ranked college? or is it wiser to stick with the fixed major in a lower ranking college.
OK, so it sounds like even if you meet the GPA criteria, there's an element of luck in gaining acceptance to your target major. I'm not familiar with either school, so I can't make a recommendation. But I personally prefer a path in which I'm in better control of the outcome. My question to you: If you go to UCSD, and if you are not accepted into comp sci, what is your Plan B (e.g., are there other engineering fields you would be happy with?)? And if you are not accepted into any engineering field at all, what is your Plan C?

Last edited:
CrysPhys said:
My question to you: If you go to UCSD, and if you are not accepted into comp sci, what is your Plan B (e.g., is there some engineering field you would be happy with?)? And if you are not accepted into any engineering field at all, what is your Plan C?
I don't really have a plan B, I would be ok with taking physics or math(as I enjoy both the subjects).
But after further consideration I think I will have to accept that UCSC is probably the better choice here.
I spoke with someone who has studied from both the UC's and actually liked UCSC much more, also none of his friends who joined as undeclard majors were able to get the major of their choice. I wasn't completely sure as to how hard it actually is to enter into CSE but after asking people with first hand experience, I think the undeclared major at UCSD is not for me.

Likes Joshy, berkeman and Klystron
Hamiltonian said:
I don't really have a plan B, I would be ok with taking physics or math(as I enjoy both the subjects).
But after further consideration I think I will have to accept that UCSC is probably the better choice here.
I spoke with someone who has studied from both the UC's and actually liked UCSC much more, also none of his friends who joined as undeclard majors were able to get the major of their choice. I wasn't completely sure as to how hard it actually is to enter into CSE but after asking people with first hand experience, I think the undeclared major at UCSD is not for me.
Good luck to you, and much success in your future studies and career! Yeah, I personally wouldn't stake my future on a roll of the dice (or pick out of a basket).

Likes berkeman and Hamiltonian
I did a double major in math and computer science. I worked in IT for over 30 years, with over 20 as a team leader. I interviewed many applicants for programmer and senior programmer positions. The 'prestige' of where you studied made no difference. What did was if you did a master's - it is considered as worth 2 years experience where I worked. My advice for what it's worth is to use your undergrad to explore your interests. Then if you still want a career in CS do a master's. Most programmers with masters became senior programmers rather quickly. A few years later a team leader. Progression beyond that to Director level depends on how you are perceived as a manager which includes more 'soft' skills like political acumen, instinct and people skills. You learn that from experience and also on how your superiors view you, which to some extent is subjective. Also, I have to tell you it varies from organisation to organisation how technical vs managerial ability is viewed.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Joshy and Hamiltonian
Joshy said:
I recommend UCSC though.
I hear you'll have to get a weird haircut though.

• Haha
Likes Joshy, bhobba and berkeman
While my experiences are dated and atypical, Santa Cruz and the Monterey and San Francisco Bay areas are incredibly fun places to study, live and work. Look at the numerous CS related businesses 'over the hill' in Los Gatos, Santa Clara, San Jose and my old hometown, Cupertino.

I earned degrees in CS / Math when infant computer science was still within the Math department in the UC system. I found my early education in Electronics and applied Physics very helpful working as a scientific programmer, senior software engineer and director of engineering.

Concepts such as synchronization, telecommunications, multiprocessing and module integration causing difficulty for some software oriented students, become almost second nature when understanding underlying electronics and physics. I am still amused when beginners expect to find actual ones and zeroes inside a computer or digital device. UCSC appears to offer a fine program.

Likes Joshy, bhobba, Hamiltonian and 1 other person
vela said:
And learn to surf, and kayak, and free dive for abalone. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Joshy, bhobba, Hamiltonian and 2 others
berkeman said:
vela said:
Joshy said:
I recommend UCSC though.
And learn to surf, and kayak, and free dive for abalone. :)

No no no! You're suppose to not cut your hair at all not even a trim! Eh UCSD has all the surfing classes too and students make small trips to mission bay to kayak all the time. I see your trick question with free diving for abalone :P real UCSC students would do the right thing by calling that animal cruelty and protest (free vegan mayo sandwiches provided).

Just having a bit of fun on that topic. To clarify: I have no negative comments towards previous the posts.

Lets not forget that while some of us are rank aware regarding UCSD... I would not be surprised if most UCSD students are mistaken for nearby SDSU or USD. SDSU has a freakin' bowling alley on their campus (which I honestly think is super cool).

I think the main "negatives" I hear about UCSC are related to being less selective than their most prominent UC counterparts. It's still a very reputable and respected university, and there are a lot of benefits to being near Silicon Valley; also a few really great research opportunities at nearby National Laboratories (quite a few of them including SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Sandia and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory) and even a NASA (Ames) location (maybe not relevant to OP's CS goals, but I mean all the big tech companies are 30-40 minutes away). Quality of the education looks comparable to me and UCSC has a good reputation for their CS program too. Good students do well no matter where they go, and fundamentals do not change just because of university name. Both universities have great resources. Why risk not getting the major you want? Culture at UCSD... there's a good reason people joke about it being "UC Socially Dead", and a lot of the students there at least the ones I ran into seem to be kind of UCB and UCLA rejects (maybe even UCSB too) they just didn't get into their top choice.

Likes bhobba, berkeman, Hamiltonian and 2 others
I'd recommend UCSC.

Math100 said:
I'd recommend UCSC.
You need to say why, dude. :wink:

Likes Math100
berkeman said:
You need to say why, dude. :wink:
As the asker who asked this question already mentioned above from the first post, UCSC has a decent computer science program. So why not just go to UCSC instead of choosing UCSD?

If I were in this situation, then I'd definitely go with the school that has the best program in my major.

Math100 said:
If I were in this situation, then I'd definitely go with the school that has the best program in my major.
But the OP's situation is more nuanced. Suppose, merely for the sake of argument, that UCSD has a stronger program in the target major (CS). The OP has been accepted into a CS major at UCSC; whereas, he has been accepted as an undeclared major at UCSD. Now, if the path to converting from undeclared to CS major at UCSD were entirely under the OP's control (e.g., he would be guaranteed conversion if he received a minimum grade of X in Courses A, B, and C and was nominated by at least one CS prof), then it might be worth considering going to UCSD if the CS program there were substantially stronger than that at UCSC. But as it stands, the number of applicants for conversion substantially exceeds the number of available slots, and the OP, even if he meets the requirements for conversion, would still need to enter a lottery. So his success is not entirely under his control, but subject to the luck of the draw (literally). Not worth it.

I've done a lot of hiring in my 50 year engineering career, and I have to say I wouldn't notice the difference between UCSC and UCSD. I suppose one school might be better than another, but that's not what I am interested in at all when making a hiring decision. It's the candidate that has to impress me in an interview, not the school.

Likes bhobba, Joshy and Hamiltonian
B.C. said:
I've done a lot of hiring in my 50 year engineering career, and I have to say I wouldn't notice the difference between UCSC and UCSD. I suppose one school might be better than another, but that's not what I am interested in at all when making a hiring decision. It's the candidate that has to impress me in an interview, not the school.

Having done countless computing interviews, school prestige is nowhere near the importance many students think.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Klystron
To the OP:

The question I would ask for you is do you know with certainty that you want to major in computer science.

If so, then since you have already been accepted into the computer science program at UCSC, then I would recommend you accept that offer there, rather than try to transfer into the program at UCSD as an undeclared major. It just seems to me like a much less risky proposition.

Last edited:
Likes jtbell, Klystron, vanhees71 and 2 others

1. Can I switch my major to computer science if I am currently undeclared?

Yes, it is possible to switch your major from undeclared to computer science. However, it may depend on your school's policies and requirements for declaring a major. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for more information.

2. Will I have to start over if I switch to a computer science major?

In most cases, you will not have to start over completely. You may have to take some prerequisite courses before officially declaring your major, but your previous coursework may still count towards your degree requirements.

3. Is it difficult to switch to a computer science major?

This will vary depending on your individual circumstances and the requirements of your school. Some schools may have limited spots for computer science majors and have strict requirements for admission into the program. It is important to research and plan ahead if you are considering switching to a computer science major.

4. Will I need a strong background in math and programming to switch to a computer science major?

While having a background in math and programming can be helpful, it is not always necessary to switch to a computer science major. Many schools offer introductory courses for students with little or no experience in these subjects. It is important to have a strong interest and willingness to learn in order to succeed in a computer science major.

5. Can I still graduate on time if I switch to a computer science major?

It is possible to graduate on time after switching to a computer science major, but it may require careful planning and possibly taking summer courses or extra classes. It is important to meet with your academic advisor to create a plan that works for you and your academic goals.