Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it safe to loop the inverter's output neutral to loop with the mains neutal?

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    Is it safe to loop the inverter's output neutral to loop with the mains neutal??

Guys, I need a help on this. I thought that it is rather safe to loop one of the output terminal of the inverter to loop with the mains supply inverter, so that there doesn't arise the need of extra neutral wiring for the appliance. I did the same, but something went wrong and as soon as I plug in to charge the battery for inverter the, inverter got damaged with a fire spark on its output terminal. I am really confused on what went wrong????

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    Re: Is it safe to loop the inverter's output neutral to loop with the mains neutal??

I couldn't understand exactly how you connected things (what is "mains supply inverter"?). A figure could help.
    When you plugged in the inverter to the mains, I guess, one of the output terminal of the inverter was connected to the system neutral; what about the other terminal?
    Perhaps you you connected it to the system phase; hence the sparking.:surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook