Is it safe to loop the inverter's output neutral to loop with the mains neutal?

In summary, the person is seeking help regarding their decision to loop the inverter's output terminal with the mains supply in order to avoid the need for extra neutral wiring. However, when they plugged in the inverter, it caused damage and sparked at the output terminal, leading to confusion about what went wrong. It is suggested that providing a figure of how the connections were made could help clarify the issue.
rozan977
Is it safe to loop the inverter's output neutral to loop with the mains neutal??

Guys, I need a help on this. I thought that it is rather safe to loop one of the output terminal of the inverter to loop with the mains supply inverter, so that there doesn't arise the need of extra neutral wiring for the appliance. I did the same, but something went wrong and as soon as I plug into charge the battery for inverter the, inverter got damaged with a fire spark on its output terminal. I am really confused on what went wrong?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I couldn't understand exactly how you connected things (what is "mains supply inverter"?). A figure could help.
When you plugged in the inverter to the mains, I guess, one of the output terminal of the inverter was connected to the system neutral; what about the other terminal?
Perhaps you you connected it to the system phase; hence the sparking.

1. Is it safe to connect the inverter's output neutral to the mains neutral?

It is generally not recommended to loop the inverter's output neutral with the mains neutral. This can cause a short circuit and potentially damage the inverter and other electrical equipment.

2. Can I connect the inverter's output neutral to the mains neutral for backup power?

No, it is not safe to connect the inverter's output neutral to the mains neutral for backup power. This can cause a hazardous situation and should only be done by a licensed electrician.

3. What are the risks of looping the inverter's output neutral with the mains neutral?

The main risk is the potential for a short circuit which can lead to electrical fires and damage to electrical equipment. It can also pose a safety hazard to individuals in the vicinity.

4. Are there any situations where it is safe to loop the inverter's output neutral with the mains neutral?

In some cases, it may be safe to loop the inverter's output neutral with the mains neutral, but this should only be done by a qualified electrician who can properly assess the setup and ensure all safety precautions are taken.

5. What are some alternative solutions to looping the inverter's output neutral with the mains neutral?

One alternative solution is to use a transfer switch, which allows for safe switching between the inverter and the mains power source. Another option is to have a separate neutral bus for the inverter's output. It is always best to consult a professional electrician for the safest and most appropriate solution for your specific setup.