Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,751
Enigman said:
So...rip my textbook apart and punch through my laptop screen?
You are so full of violence :(

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,752
Psinter said:
Just randomly wondering why you smile like a blockhead when you are in love. Not that I'm in love. Just remembering; and realizing how silly one looked like and acted. :rolleyes:

*robotic voice* Initiating teen love sequence. Deactivating intelligence and a few other functions.
A guy's brain shuts down when anticipating conversation with a female.

funny-whats-it-like-to-be-in-love-comic-pics.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Evo
  • #1,753
nuuskur said:
You are so full of violence :(
Oh, believe me...I am burning with it.
asDg.jpg

• #1,754
I emailed this to my wife today.
It's on our refrigerator now.
Yes, she has done that to me. :)

tumblr_ne4r6iJM0Q1r6q44to1_r1_500.png

Likes dlgoff, Medicol, lisab and 1 other person
  • #1,755
Kind of strange. There was a person here at school I was always fighting with almost every time we met. We have become pretty good friends after all. I guess the key has been that we stick to arguments during our fights, and we then are able to comeback next day without holding grudges. It is a relief to know you can disagree without it being the end of the world. It seems the real test of any relationship ( romantic, friendly, etc.) is to be able to survive a discussion.

• #1,756
Borg said:
I emailed this to my wife today.
It's on our refrigerator now.
Yes, she has done that to me. :)
That's so sweet!

• #1,757
WWGD said:
Kind of strange. There was a person here at school I was always fighting with almost every time we met. We have become pretty good friends after all. I guess the key has been that we stick to arguments during our fights, and we then are able to comeback next day without holding grudges. It is a relief to know you can disagree without it being the end of the world. It seems the real test of any relationship ( romantic, friendly, etc.) is to be able to survive a discussion.
Most definitely. Some of the people I end up liking the most are ones I thought were jerks at first.

On further consideration, some are truly jerks. I guess I sometimes can like a jerk.

• #1,758
Not sure if simply down with cold or burning out.
Or it could be Ebola...
:rolleyes:

Anyhoo... time for some chicken soup.

• #1,759
Enigman said:
Or it could be Ebola...

Yikes! Folks, if you need me - I'll be in a cave for the next 21 days.

• #1,760
Borg said:
... :)

tumblr_ne4r6iJM0Q1r6q44to1_r1_500.png
He has a screechy hairstyle! :D

• #1,761
lisab said:
Yikes!

Ebola is not something you can catch by using the same forum.

• #1,762
Borek said:
Ebola is not something you can catch by using the same forum.

Sure? Not even if someone with Ebola sneezes just as they submit a post?

• #1,763
I finally found the trick to the Phrygian mode: The 4th always resolves to the 3rd, never to the 5th. That sounds awful. Working on lyrics now: all I got is "Her legs were as long as the words she used". What else?

• #1,764
Enigman said:
Or it could be Ebola...

Makes me wonder, can one be sick with more than 1 virus at a time? Like having two kinds of influenza at the same time? What about Ebola and Flu at the same time?

And what about getting 3 viruses at the same time?!
134050906.gGpxX80d.Smiliesohmygoshsmiley2.jpg

• #1,765
I like music too, I am always amazed as to how a melody in modern concerts could be played by multiple musical instruments, each of which produces different sounds and is played with a unique musical manuscript for the same song (cellists look at their own scripts, violinists play their own scripts too, so do pianists, guitarists, etc )

• #1,766
Psinter said:
Makes me wonder, can one be sick with more than 1 virus at a time? Like having two kinds of influenza at the same time? What about Ebola and Flu at the same time?

And what about getting 3 viruses at the same time?!
134050906.gGpxX80d.Smiliesohmygoshsmiley2.jpg
For example, HIV infected patients may also be easily infected with all other types of viruses.

• #1,767
Psinter said:
Makes me wonder, can one be sick with more than 1 virus at a time?

There are plenty of virus infections like hepatitis C or herpes, that are lifetime conditions - and they don't stop you from getting other infections.

• #1,768
Medicol said:
I like music too, I am always amazed as to how a melody in modern concerts could be played by multiple musical instruments, each of which produces different sounds and is played with a unique musical manuscript for the same song (cellists look at their own scripts, violinists play their own scripts too, so do pianists, guitarists, etc )

I played the cornet in Middle School. It's only been recently that I found out that all that time the sheets I used were off by 3 semitones! Cuz the cornet has to be corrected for B flat.

• #1,769
Correction: two semi-tones...one tone.

• #1,770
I am not well versed on the music theory at all :(. Sorry about that.
But if I have for example, cellists, trumpeters, guitarists, and a singer
Each will have their own sheet to play the same song. How can each make a harmonious melody without hurting the listeners' musical enjoyability ?
By off-some-tones, do you mean one has to delay their play at some points in the song, I think this will prolong the song unnecessarily.

• #1,771
I mean where C should be seen on the sheet, you see a B-flat instead.

Well, it takes a lot of discipline...and tuning.

• #1,772
Medicol said:

You'd think that an orchestral conductor has it easy, not actually having to play anything. But having to read a full score and knowing what to expect from all those different instruments during rehearsal can be extremely challenging. (I've done a bit of conducting over the years, and my own worst headaches come from trying to identify unexpected notes in the French Horns, which are frequently written with different transpositions for different parts; quite often the player's part is transposed at a different pitch from the part in the score, and even the publishers sometimes get it wrong when they transpose the part to a more commonly encountered instrument pitch). Fortunately, by the time of the concert the players usually know what to expect and conducting in concert is mostly a matter of reminding the players about timing, tempi and other stuff previously prepared in rehearsal.

Likes Medicol and dlgoff
  • #1,773
The mail just came and I thought I'd gotten an actual, old fashioned letter from someone: my name and address were handwritten on the front and there was no return address. On closer inspection it was just a particularly realistic 'handwritten' font some advertiser was using.

• #1,774
zoobyshoe said:
The mail just came and I thought I'd gotten an actual, old fashioned letter from someone: my name and address were handwritten on the front and there was no return address. On closer inspection it was just a particularly realistic 'handwritten' font some advertiser was using.

Oh, gawwwwwd! Boo hiss.

• #1,775
David Carroll said:
Oh, gawwwwwd! Boo hiss.
They'll stoop to anything.

• #1,776
Got a mail with the details of medical screening in spring. Probably have to serve time in the military from next autumn :< Do. Not. Want. Boo Hissssss

• #1,777
Where are you from, nuuskur? Estonia?

• #1,778
David Carroll said:
Where are you from, nuuskur? Estonia?
Correct you are.

• #1,779
I got it right!

• #1,780
Wisconsin High School Runner Carries Competitor to the Finish Line
https://gma.yahoo.com/wisconsin-high-school-runner-carries-competitor-finish-line-192034046.html

True sportsmanship! More power to her!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,781
My friend used to work as a senior web engineer, now he wants to work as an iOS mobile application developer. If you have a mobile development company, at what seniority level will you agree to hire him ?
My answer is simply don't hire anyone like him. Because I am serious about my contracts with customers although I am a greedy businessman. It takes a lot of time for such people to learn objective-C and usage of related applications or IDEs to handle the assigned tasks and the whole development process in general. Such a duration will reduce my business profit and their produced code might not be as optimized and bug-free as those written by experienced developers. Coaching or mentoring them is a pain in the neck especially when most of them are no longer as young as fresh college graduates; they always have ideas and act stubbornly; sometimes they may attack us back. :D Any more ideas can be enlisted to fill up my imagination.

• #1,782
Yesterday, I saw a series of three random posts on Facebook, which kind of fit together:

The first was just an article about an illegal pot growing farm in an old abandoned train station in North Wales. I was sorry I wasted my time reading that.

The second, was a video of some people laughing on a train. I decided that they'd all just pulled out of the above train station. But the laughing all started with one lady looking at her smart phone. I was curious what it was she had just seen.

The third post, was just a sciencey looking kind of meme.

pf.2014.10.31.0758.did.you.know.earth.helium.jpg

Which had me laughing for 15 minutes. I like to imagine that that is what the lady on the train had seen.

After I shared the sciencey looking meme, someone said I shouldn't do that, because people would believe it.
I then laughed for another 15 minutes, because I knew it was true.

Likes DennisN, RonL and collinsmark
  • #1,783
Human imagination knows no bounds :D

• #1,784
nuuskur said:
Human imagination knows no bounds :D
Yeah, it does. Its called the writer's block.

• #1,785
clever :D