Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #1,891
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1y0pVhIMAAPm0T.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Medicol, nuuskur and collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,892
that is so genius :D

• #1,893
lisab said:
Note to the squeamish: move along, nothing to see here.

On my last backpacking trip several weeks ago, I got a pretty bad blister coming down the mountain. It was under my left toenail! I've never seen (or even heard of) that before. It hurt pretty bad. It got infected, I went to the doc and got some antibiotics. By now, as you would expect, the infection is all cleared.

Meanwhile that toenail is, erm...detaching, checking out, separating, paring ways with the rest of my body. No pain at all, though.

I remember many years ago jtbell had this happen in a sudden incident. I have to think that's the preferable way for it to go, if it has to go...sigh.
Wow, I posted that 10 days ago?! Didn't think it would take so long, but I'm happy to announce my toenail and I have amicably parted ways.

Likes Borek
  • #1,894
lisab said:
Wow, I posted that 10 days ago?! Didn't think it would take so long, but I'm happy to announce my toenail and I have amicably parted ways.
Good to hear:) hope a new pretty one comes back:cool:

• #1,895
RonL said:
Good to hear:) hope a new pretty one comes back:cool:
If it's anything like mine, it will look a little "different" for the first 20 years.
But that's ok. It's kind of like your own personal micro-plate tectonics experiment.

Year 1: Oh look! It's shorter than the other one. And look at those weird ridge formations.
Year 2: The ridges are changing!
Year 20: Darn. Looks just like my other toenail again.​

• #1,896
DiracPool said:
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1y0pVhIMAAPm0T.jpg

I wonder if I can use this method for my nemesis math problem: y=x-sin(x) [solve for x]
y=x(1-sin(1))
x=y/(1-sin(1))​

Eureka!

hmmm... but is "1" in degrees or radians?

Drats!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,897
OmCheeto said:
If it's anything like mine, it will look a little "different" for the first 20 years.
But that's ok. It's kind of like your own personal micro-plate tectonics experiment.

Year 1: Oh look! It's shorter than the other one. And look at those weird ridge formations.
Well, everyone should have a hobby. :rolleyes:

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,898
Borg said:
Well, everyone should have a hobby. :rolleyes:
I have just recently determined that I have ADD, and now understand why I have ~300 hobbies.

My toenail, was just another squirrel.

:)

• #1,899
OmCheeto said:

8c00640596dc62d4_IMG_0766.preview.JPG

Ridges for lisa's toe:eek:...20 years:(
Never on a woman of perfection:nb)
:D

• #1,900
RonL said:
8c00640596dc62d4_IMG_0766.preview.JPG

Ridges for lisa's toe:eek:...20 years:(
Never on a woman of perfection:nb)
:D
Meh, ridges on nails don't bother me...OMG those chips look sooooo yummy :w!

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,901
Looks so goody, maybe best with chilli sauce.

• #1,902
Hey, I just noticed that there are no mentors or admin logged in right now. When the mentors are away, the members will play...:D

Likes collinsmark and Lisa!
  • #1,903
DiracPool said:
Hey, I just noticed that there are no mentors or admin logged in right now. When the mentors are away, the members will play...:D
...Rainbows are really an ancient weapon developed by an alien race.

These beams of light allowed for them to travel through time to vanquish their foes before they were even foes. I have not done the math or research yet but I know this is true because I applied the fundamental principals of quantum blahblahology I learned from a documentary I watched on the History channel.

Once they start controlling minds…

Likes lisab
  • #1,904
Did you know that ban-guns work retroactively just as well as in real-time?

• #1,905
collinsmark said:
No

• #1,906
collinsmark said:

I did not know you were a gun control enthusiast. It would seem that you would want to ban guns before you had a reason to, instead of retroactively or in real-time.

• #1,907
Well, I've been the target of a "random ban," which has happened, from time to time (although those were mostly during Sunday chat sessions, so you might be safe for the moment regarding the "random" variety of ban.) Fortunately for me it was quite temporary. And maybe once I accidentally used "math" and "philosophy" in the same sentence which resulted in an immediate ban from micromass (again, temporary, thank goodness [I'll never do that again.]*). Hair trigger, that one.

My point is the mentors' ban guns are far reaching and transcend time. Do not underestimate them! :eek: :nb)

Borek's ban gun is always nearby, and Evo's aim is clear and precise. Lisab has become one with the trigger. And other mentors, wonderful mentors, are there sitting in waiting. Waiting to strike. They may strike now, they may strike in retrospect.

*(Did I just do it again now? Uh, oh.)

[I need to partake in Sunday chat sessions again more often. Those are the best of times.]

[In case you didn't realize, ban guns do not shoot bullets. They shoot bans.]

Last edited:
Likes DiracPool, Enigman and RonL
  • #1,908
collinsmark said:
Well, I've been the target of a "random ban," which has happened, from time to time (although those were mostly during Sunday chat sessions, so you might be safe for the moment regarding the "random" variety of ban.) Fortunately for me it was quite temporary. And maybe once I accidentally used "math" and "philosophy" in the same sentence which resulted in an immediate ban from micromass (again, temporary, thank goodness [I'll never do that again.]*).

My point is the mentors' ban guns are far reaching and transcend time. Do not underestimate them! :eek: :nb)

Borek's ban gun is always nearby, and Evo's aim is clear and precise. And other mentors, wonderful mentors, are there sitting in waiting. Waiting to strike. They may strike now, or may even strike in retrospect.

WOW!...that's information I really need:nb):nb):nb)

• #1,909
collinsmark said:
Well, I've been the target of a "random ban," which has happened, from time to time (although those were mostly during Sunday chat sessions, so you might be safe for the moment regarding the "random" variety of ban.) Fortunately for me it was quite temporary. And maybe once I accidentally used "math" and "philosophy" in the same sentence which resulted in an immediate ban from micromass (again, temporary, thank goodness [I'll never do that again.]*). Hair trigger, that one.

Borek's ban gun is always nearby, and Evo's aim is clear and precise. Lisab has become one with the trigger. And other mentors, wonderful mentors, are there sitting in waiting. Waiting to strike. They may strike now, they may strike in retrospect.

[I need to partake in Sunday chat sessions again more often. Those are the best of times.]

[In case you didn't realize, ban guns do not shoot bullets. They shoot bans.]
Did they give you some of those GOOBF cards to say these stuff and scare us? :D

Likes RonL
  • #1,910
Lisa! said:
Did they give you some of those GOOBF cards to say these stuff and scare us? :D
So that's what that card was all about. :w I was scratching my head trying to figure out what that was for. :confused:

• #1,911
It looks like I'm safe for awhile.
With all 22 mentors and admin pulling their ban gun triggers once a second, it will take them 144,000 years before I run out.
Yay!

I did the math.

Likes RonL
  • #1,912
OmCheeto said:
It looks like I'm safe for awhile.
With all 22 mentors and admin pulling their ban gun triggers once a second, it will take them 144,000 years before I run out.
Yay!

I did the math.
Yet another baited rabbit hole..."I'm safe"...I clicked on it and couldn't get out for over half an hour, just skimming over the information that was there.:))
My hat's off to you, for being able to produce so much information at any given time?:):rolleyes::D

Likes OmCheeto
  • #1,913
I was thinking MS was so cruel that they inserted an update that could almost have disabled my whole computer (win8.1). Right after I logged in, nothing was loaded except an empty task bar (it's usually full of icons) and the whole screen flickered. I booted into safe mode to see a popup that said "Unknown hard error" which didn't appear in the normal boot mode after computer login. :( I am safe anyway.

• #1,914
RonL said:
Yet another baited rabbit hole..."I'm safe"...I clicked on it and couldn't get out for over half an hour, just skimming over the information that was there.:))
My hat's off to you, for being able to produce so much information at any given time?:):rolleyes::D
That was another fun thread.
I didn't bother reading the whole thing until you commented.

ps. Spreadsheets are your friend. And, it helps to be able to count. Perhaps I should file a complaint in the "Feedback" forum; "Will you please list the number of mentors and admin, so I don't have to count you! It consumed 15 seconds of my life! I want a pro-rated refund, from my lifetime membership fee..."

pf.2014.11.13.0941.pf.is.stupid.png

Likes RonL
  • #1,915
I'll take that in small bills, btw.

• #1,917
dkotschessaa said:
From the department of redundant devices department: http://www.trustedreviews.com/htc-mini-review

I'll take that as a personal, um...

"the HTC Mini is really a less intelligent device"

I am, OFFENDED!

• #1,918
Who wouldn't want one of these?

nixie-selfie-drone.jpg

Likes Borg and RonL
  • #1,919
Likes dlgoff
  • #1,920
Borg said:
One of Intel's Make it Wearable Challenge winners. Some really great entries this year.
Wow. Makes me proud to be alive here and now.

• #1,921
dlgoff said:
Wow. Makes me proud to be alive here and now.
So many toys. So little time.

Likes dlgoff
  • #1,922
Borg said:
So many toys. So little time.
I hear ya'.

Likes Borg
  • #1,923
dlgoff said:
Who wouldn't want one of these?

Interesting, I was waiting for the promo video to actually show a picture of it flying. I wonder why they didn't, seems suspicious...

Either it looks goofy or something when it flies, or they need to have a talk with their ad agency

• #1,924
DiracPool said:
Interesting, I was waiting for the promo video to actually show a picture of it flying. I wonder why they didn't, seems suspicious...

Either it looks goofy or something when it flies, or they need to have a talk with their ad agency
For the curious:

• #1,925
collinsmark said:
Borek's ban gun is always nearby

Yep. I sleep with a ban gun under my pillow.

Likes collinsmark and RonL