Start University Education in Mid Twenties: EU Handicaps & Career Impact

• Thread starter Feymar
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking if it is uncommon for people to start their university education in their mid-twenties in the EU and if it comes with any additional fees or paperwork. They are also wondering how this may affect their career prospects if they do exceptionally well but started later, not fresh out of high school. They provide some context about their own situation and express hope that their age will not be a handicap in pursuing their passion for physics. They thank others for their time and ask for any insights.
Feymar
Hello folks,

-Is it unusual that people start their university education in their mid twenties in the EU, and does it come with any handicaps, like additional fees , additional papperwork and similar?

-Also, in your opinion, how does it affect carreers, given that the student did excepionally well, but started later, and not fresh out of high school? (In other words, will it look bad on my CV or cripple me totally despite (possible) exceptional results).

The following is some information about the situation i found myself in, to give context and justification for my questions, but are of no real importance to answering my above stated questions.:

Out of High School, I enrolled in the nearest university , in my non-EU european country, for a physics degree in experimental physics. I did exceptionally well, but i was not able to find a scholarship in my country that would finance me during my bachelor studies. And being from a poor family, with a scarce part time job market in my country, and obligatorry attendance in 60% of my courses, i had no other choice then to find some full time job and drop out of college for the time being. Witch I did. Because of luck and devotion I got a shinning career in mere years, and now, with 25 years, I financially secured my mother and have enough money saved to be able to leave my current job, and go to study physics abroad, hopefully in Germany. Through my working years i never lost my interest for physics and math, and i actively read and studied various fields in a semi-academical manner, since my free time was VERY limited, and i had other interests as well. I do hope that i won't get handicapped for what life brought me, and that i will get a fair chance of working hard in a field that responds to my passions and interests. I thank everybody in advance for the time i took of them to read this, and for their answers. May you have a productive and nice rest of the day. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
My GUESS is that the extra age will not be a large handicap. You do need to know that the majority of those who study math or physics do not find work in those fields. Engineering is more practical.

1. What are the main challenges for starting university education in the mid-twenties in the EU?

Some of the main challenges for starting university education in the mid-twenties in the EU include financial constraints, lack of academic preparedness, and difficulty adjusting to a new learning environment. Additionally, there may be societal pressures to enter the workforce or start a family at this age.

2. How does starting university education in the mid-twenties affect career opportunities?

Starting university education in the mid-twenties can have a significant impact on career opportunities. It may delay entry into the job market, resulting in a later career start and potentially lower earning potential. However, it can also provide individuals with valuable skills and knowledge that can make them more competitive in the job market.

3. Are there any benefits to starting university education in the mid-twenties?

Yes, there are several benefits to starting university education in the mid-twenties. Firstly, individuals may have a better understanding of their interests and career goals at this age, allowing them to choose a degree that aligns with their passions. Additionally, they may bring a different perspective and life experience to their studies, enhancing their learning and critical thinking abilities.

4. How can EU countries support individuals starting university education in the mid-twenties?

EU countries can support individuals starting university education in the mid-twenties by providing financial aid and scholarships specifically for this age group. They can also offer academic support programs to help students catch up on any missed academic preparation and offer career counseling services to assist in choosing a degree and planning for the future.

5. Is there a stigma associated with starting university education in the mid-twenties?

There may be a stigma associated with starting university education in the mid-twenties, as it is not the traditional path for higher education. However, this stigma is slowly changing as more individuals are choosing to pursue higher education later in life. It is important to remember that everyone's journey is unique, and there is no right or wrong time to start university education.