Is it Worth It to Automate Job Applications? Pros & Cons

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter Hercuflea
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the consequences of using a python script to automate the process of applying for jobs on major job board sites. It is mentioned that this could potentially lead to more responses from recruiters and HR people, but there are concerns about keeping track of the positions applied to and whether this approach will land a desired job. The poster also shares their personal experience with job hunting and the challenges they have faced.
Hercuflea
What would be the consequences of writing a python script to go on the major job board sites and blast my resume to every single "quick apply using linkedin/indeed/etc" job? I basically do this everyday by hand. The only thing would be that I'd be applying to tons of jobs I'm not qualified for, and my personal info would be blasted to all of them. However, I might get a job. Has anyone thought of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very bad idea. You would be persona non grata squared

Hercuflea said:
What would be the consequences of writing a python script to go on the major job board sites and blast my resume to every single "quick apply using linkedin/indeed/etc" job? I basically do this everyday by hand. The only thing would be that I'd be applying to tons of jobs I'm not qualified for, and my personal info would be blasted to all of them. However, I might get a job. Has anyone thought of doing this?
Recruiters most often use staggeringly crappy algorithms to scan on-line resumes and then blast out job descriptions to hundreds or thousands of people, most of whom are not qualified for the position. Turnabout is fair play so I say go for it.

I once made the mistake of putting into my resume something along the lines of "I am familiar with, usually through directly personal experience but if not that then by way of managing teams which have used, every programming language in significant use today with the single exception of JAVA.

I got TONS of emails offering me jobs programming in JAVA, with cover lead-ins extolling my qualifications for the positions, and similar phone calls wherein I was hard pressed to even be polite to the idiot recruiters who could not be bothered to even do a quick browse of my resume before calling me.

I also continued to get emails and phone calls for programming jobs 20 years after I had stopped doing any programming and had moved into project management.

DrSteve said:
A very bad idea. You would be persona non grata squared
I disagree. Most of the jobs posted on the job boards are put there by recruiters, not by corporate HR people. They deal in volume and repetition of their seeing your name could well work to your advantage.

If you're not generating any success in doing it by hand, why would you think that automating the process would make you any more successful?

Statistics may land you "a" job, but is it going to land you a job that you actually want?

Choppy said:
If you're not generating any success in doing it by hand, why would you think that automating the process would make you any more successful?

Statistics may land you "a" job, but is it going to land you a job that you actually want?

From what the OP has posted before, the key issue is that he is not seeing any responses to the number of resumes (which he may think is large, but in perspective may be too few). So automating the process may potentially generate more "hits" (i.e. recruiters/HR people giving him a callback), while also freeing up more time for the OP to focus on doing more research on specific jobs he may be looking for, or self-teaching himself critical skills that would be useful.

The one concern I would have though about the OP's approach is in being able to keep track of what jobs he's applied to, especially once he actually gets a call back from one of the positions he's applied for. (Hercuflea, does your Python script generate a list of companies where your resume has been sent?) Because one of the challenges will then involve learning about the said company & the position once an interview has been scheduled.

I'm sorry if I'm posting too much about my unemployment lifestyle...I just don't know anywhere else to find relevant info/help for unemployed physicists.
Choppy said:

At this point I don't really care whether I want the job or not. I just want a job so that I can have some real world experience on my resume. Sure there are jobs that I would prefer, and I have manually applied on those companies websites, but haven't received anything yet. I feel like writing a script to send out resumes might help with the quantity aspect.
StatGuy2000 said:
From what the OP has posted before, the key issue is that he is not seeing any responses to the number of resumes (which he may think is large, but in perspective may be too few). So automating the process may potentially generate more "hits" (i.e. recruiters/HR people giving him a callback), while also freeing up more time for the OP to focus on doing more research on specific jobs he may be looking for, or self-teaching himself critical skills that would be useful.

The one concern I would have though about the OP's approach is in being able to keep track of what jobs he's applied to, especially once he actually gets a call back from one of the positions he's applied for. (Hercuflea, does your Python script generate a list of companies where your resume has been sent?) Because one of the challenges will then involve learning about the said company & the position once an interview has been scheduled.
I have sent out about 1000 resumes/applications through indeed, linkedin, and directly applying to companies' websites. I guess that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I've had 2 interviews. One of which I blew because I didn't have time to research the company well. The other interview was for a job I really wanted, and even the interviewer said the interview went well and I answered one question better than most physics majors he interviews. But after that I never heard back.

I have written a Web scraper before, and I think it would be relatively easy to write a script auto-apply to the quick apply button on some of these websites. I'll have to see what I can do about saving all the companies' info.

I'm kind of at my wits end right now. I considered medical physics too, but due to my grades in my previous phd program, I doubt I will be able to get into any programs. I'm living on my savings right now, but when that runs out I guess I'll just have to settle for a job at mcdonalds.

Hercuflea said:
I'm sorry if I'm posting too much about my unemployment lifestyle...I just don't know anywhere else to find relevant info/help for unemployed physicists.

At this point I don't really care whether I want the job or not. I just want a job so that I can have some real world experience on my resume. Sure there are jobs that I would prefer, and I have manually applied on those companies websites, but haven't received anything yet. I feel like writing a script to send out resumes might help with the quantity aspect.

I have sent out about 1000 resumes/applications through indeed, linkedin, and directly applying to companies' websites. I guess that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I've had 2 interviews. One of which I blew because I didn't have time to research the company well. The other interview was for a job I really wanted, and even the interviewer said the interview went well and I answered one question better than most physics majors he interviews. But after that I never heard back.

I have written a Web scraper before, and I think it would be relatively easy to write a script auto-apply to the quick apply button on some of these websites. I'll have to see what I can do about saving all the companies' info.

I'm kind of at my wits end right now. I considered medical physics too, but due to my grades in my previous phd program, I doubt I will be able to get into any programs. I'm living on my savings right now, but when that runs out I guess I'll just have to settle for a job at mcdonalds.

You're in pretty much the exact same position at ModusPwnd was in long ago, where he had "washed out" of a physics program, sustained himself by delivering pizza, and then eventually took engineering courses and is now working for an engineering firm.

If you are going to take that route, my suggestion would be to not live on your savings but settle for that job at McDonalds or other service type work (bartending, waiting tables, construction, etc.) as soon as possible, and then while you are working build on or self-teach critical skills that are in demand (whether that would be software development, coding, or in data science).

If you are considering data science, look at the following thread posted yesterday, in particular, look at MarneMath's post #2, as he gives some excellent advice on the kinds of things you need to do break into the field.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/career-advice-wanting-to-become-a-data-scientist.878122/

Related to Is it Worth It to Automate Job Applications? Pros & Cons

What is automation in job applications?

Automation in job applications refers to the use of technology and software to streamline and expedite the process of submitting job applications. This can include the use of resume parsing software, automated email responses, and online application forms.

What are the pros of automating job applications?

Some potential benefits of automating job applications include increased efficiency, reduced human error, and the ability to easily track and manage a large number of applications. Automation can also save time and resources for both the job applicant and the hiring company.

What are the cons of automating job applications?

One potential downside of automating job applications is the potential for technical glitches or errors that could result in a loss of important information or missed opportunities. Additionally, some job seekers may find the automated process impersonal and prefer more traditional methods of applying for jobs.

How does automation affect the hiring process?

Automation can greatly impact the hiring process by streamlining and expediting the application and selection process. It can also help to reduce bias and increase objectivity in the hiring process by removing human involvement in the initial screening stages.

Is it worth it to automate job applications?

The answer to this question ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the hiring company. For some companies, automation may greatly benefit their hiring process, while for others it may not be as necessary. It is important for companies to carefully consider the pros and cons before deciding if automating job applications is the right choice for them.