Is majoring in physics reserved only for the brightest of minds?

• Programs
  • Thread starter skwissgaar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, transferring to a reputable university to pursue a bachelor's in astrophysics, a student has done well in lower division calc-physics and math courses, but feels average compared to other physics majors. They question if getting a physics degree is only for naturally gifted individuals. However, most practicing physicists and physics graduates are ordinary people, and success in the field depends on interest and hard work rather than innate intelligence. Mental disability may be a barrier, but with determination and effort, anyone can major in physics. Graduating with a physics degree may require additional sacrifices and time, but it is achievable for those who are willing to put in the work.
skwissgaar
Question might be a little vague, so here is some background. I'm transferring from a California CC to a large, reputable university after this semester to pursue a bachelor's in astrophysics. For the most part, I've done, to my standards at least, acceptable in all of my coursework, averaging A-/B+ range through all of the lower division calc-physics (mechanics, E&M, waves, vibrations, and modern physics) and math (calculus 1-3, differential equations and linear algebra). I tend to do better in my physics courses as I can visual the application of theory better than the abstractness of math.

The thing is, however, I just don't feel smart enough at times. It seems that most, if not all, physics majors who end up getting their degrees in the subject were naturally inclined at it. I've always finished out in the upper-middle tier of my physics and math classes, and have never been in jeopardy of failing. I've also never been in the top 3% either. I feel average. It feels like the students who go on to complete their degrees are the students that never had any trouble whatsoever with lower division coursework (or upper division for that matter) and were able to ace any test thrown at them or understand any concept the first time seeing it with little studying.

While I do feel like I might be able to complete my degree since I've already come this far, there's part of me that has a lingering feeling that I might just be in over my head.

tl;dr I'm not a genius, I'm a slightly above average student that's completed all the lower division math/physics coursework. Is getting a degree in physics reserved only for the genius' that are naturally good at physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
skwissgaar said:
It feels like the students who go on to complete their degrees are the students that never had any trouble whatsoever with lower division coursework (or upper division for that matter) and were able to ace any test thrown at them or understand any concept the first time seeing it with little studying.

tl;dr I'm not a genius, I'm a slightly above average student that's completed all the lower division math/physics coursework. Is getting a degree in physics reserved only for the genius' that are naturally good at physics?

If you speak to enough practicing physicists and physics graduates, you will find out that most are ordinary people and some have even had embarrassing pasts in academics, not an easy path.

A good portion of students in physics work hard. There are also bright people who don't need to work as hard to get the same results (and those that work harder than anyone else), but why should you care?

Simple answer: no.

Majoring in physics is for people who are interested in it.

That's pretty much it.

wukunlin said:
Majoring in physics is for people who are interested in it.

That's pretty much it.

That was my thought too. Anybody can major in physics. Well, you have to be accepted to the university first...

But of course you mean graduating with a physics degree. Certainly the lower tail of minds cannot do it. But anybody a bit below average or above can get the degree if they work hard enough. Becoming a professional physicist is an entirely different matter...

ModusPwnd said:
Certainly the lower tail of minds cannot do it.
You mean I won't be able to finish? Will my heart stop beating before I take my 3 remaining final exams?

Depends how low down on the tail of "mind brightness" you are. :tongue:

I don't think a real life Forrest Gump could do it, but maybe he could. There are people out there that are lower on the tail than Forrest Gump though. In the movie his IQ was two std. dev. below the mean IIRC.

Being a little insane helps a bit also in my experience.

ModusPwnd said:
Depends how low down on the tail of "mind brightness" you are. :tongue:

I don't think a real life Forrest Gump could do it, but maybe he could. There are people out there that are lower on the tail than Forrest Gump though. In the movie his IQ was two std. dev. below the mean IIRC.

Barring mental disability, I don't think the ability to solve problems based on coursework on an exam boils down to performance on an IQ test. Physics and math are subjects to be learned, what an IQ test tests for cannot be taught(although there are ways to cram for this to get a better score, which probably negates it as a serious metric of capability of any sort if the system can be cheated).

I remember having lots trouble learning my multiplication table and learning trigonometry. Work and repeated exposure fixed that.

If you got accepted to a good university, you can probably handle it.

The most likely source of failure, I imagine, is psyching yourself out before even getting there.

Lavabug said:
Barring mental disability, I don't think the ability to solve problems based on coursework on an exam boils down to performance on an IQ test.

No, it doesn't boil down to that. But a low IQ is sufficient to being classified as mentally disabled. Let's not kid ourselves with high school platitudes, it does take more than hard work.

ModusPwnd said:
No, it doesn't boil down to that. But a low IQ is sufficient to being classified as mentally disabled. Let's not kid ourselves with high school platitudes, it does take more than hard work.

I strongly disagree. It really doesn't. Just more work, time and in many cases sacrifices than most people are willing to devote to it. Most want an easy life and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's be honest about it.

I've seen people take 10-12 years to get their degree, but they got it done. I've also seen complete morons some with addiction problems make it through quite far into the degree, but they still can't get an intuitive grasp on Galilean relativity (the person was baffled how an insect flying into a moving bus didn't suddenly become a part of the bus' and immediately move along with it at the same speed, and no the person was not high). There's always a way to "cheat" the system (if one could call it that) and learn things just to pass most exams in a physics degree, irrespective of natural talent. Believing otherwise IMO invokes a magical quality to getting a physics degree, that's not terribly rational.

Last edited:
skwissgaar said:
Question might be a little vague, so here is some background. I'm transferring from a California CC to a large, reputable university after this semester to pursue a bachelor's in astrophysics. For the most part, I've done, to my standards at least, acceptable in all of my coursework, averaging A-/B+ range through all of the lower division calc-physics (mechanics, E&M, waves, vibrations, and modern physics) and math (calculus 1-3, differential equations and linear algebra). I tend to do better in my physics courses as I can visual the application of theory better than the abstractness of math.

The thing is, however, I just don't feel smart enough at times. It seems that most, if not all, physics majors who end up getting their degrees in the subject were naturally inclined at it. I've always finished out in the upper-middle tier of my physics and math classes, and have never been in jeopardy of failing. I've also never been in the top 3% either. I feel average. It feels like the students who go on to complete their degrees are the students that never had any trouble whatsoever with lower division coursework (or upper division for that matter) and were able to ace any test thrown at them or understand any concept the first time seeing it with little studying.

While I do feel like I might be able to complete my degree since I've already come this far, there's part of me that has a lingering feeling that I might just be in over my head.

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: like others have said, if you've made it this far, you have what it takes to finish. As someone who transferred to a large, reputable university from a CC I will say this: it will be harder there. Not *too* hard but there is a good step up.

Don't get too involved in extra-curriculars, and get plenty of sleep. You'll do fine.

bp_psy said:
Being a little insane helps a bit also in my experience.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

All you need is love to be a physics major. Love is all you need.

1. What skills are required to major in physics?

Majoring in physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. Some other important skills include problem-solving, analytical thinking, and the ability to work with abstract concepts.

2. Is it true that only the smartest students can excel in physics?

While intelligence can certainly be an advantage in studying physics, it is not the only factor that determines success. Hard work, determination, and a passion for the subject are equally important in excelling in physics.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for majoring in physics?

Most physics programs require students to have a strong background in math, including calculus and algebra. Some programs may also require courses in physics, chemistry, and/or computer science.

4. Can someone with no prior experience in physics still major in it?

Yes, it is possible for someone with no prior experience in physics to major in it. However, it may require a lot of hard work and dedication to catch up with students who have a stronger background in the subject.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who major in physics?

There are many career paths available for those who major in physics, including research, engineering, teaching, and even finance. A degree in physics can also open doors to graduate studies in various fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and materials science.