Is mechanical engineering a good career path in Canada ?

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is currently studying civil engineering in Canada and is considering switching to mechanical engineering. They are unsure about the career opportunities in Canada for mechanical engineering, as the country is not known for technology and lacks big companies in the field. The student also mentions their interest in electronic devices and asks for opinions on whether transferring to mechanical engineering is a good idea.
a_man
I attend Canadian university and in civil engineering program(I finished up my 2nd year).

I am thinking of transferring into mechanical engineering. However, I do not know what kind of career path I can expect in Canada with mechanical engineering. There is not any big company in Canada and Canada is not know for any techology. I heard good career path for mechanical, mechtronics or electrical is in US.

I would have went into mechanical even electrical engineering if I were in US, but I thought it was better to be in civil eng, since I live in Canada. To me there, seems to be more of contruction and development of land than development of techology in Canada.

Please let hear your opinion, and see if it is worthy transferring into mechanical eng.
BTW: I am not really enjoying or looking forward with CE at this moment.

Physics news on Phys.org
a_man said:
I am thinking of transferring into mechanical engineering. However, I do not know what kind of career path I can expect in Canada with mechanical engineering. There is not any big company in Canada and Canada is not know for any techology.QUOTE]

What about Bombardier?

I think I want to work in electronic devices field.

1. Is mechanical engineering a lucrative career in Canada?

Yes, mechanical engineering is a highly lucrative career in Canada. According to statistics, the average salary for a mechanical engineer in Canada is around $80,000 per year, and with experience and specialization, this can go up to $120,000 per year.

2. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers in Canada?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers in Canada are quite promising. There is a growing demand for skilled mechanical engineers in various industries such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation. The Canadian government also lists mechanical engineering as one of the top 10 in-demand occupations in the country.

3. What qualifications do I need to become a mechanical engineer in Canada?

To become a mechanical engineer in Canada, you will need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from a recognized university. Some employers may also require a master's degree or relevant work experience. You will also need to obtain a license from the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO) to practice as a mechanical engineer in Canada.

4. Are there opportunities for career growth in mechanical engineering in Canada?

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for career growth in mechanical engineering in Canada. With experience and continuous learning, mechanical engineers can advance to higher positions such as project managers, senior engineers, or even start their own consulting firms.

5. What skills are important for success in the field of mechanical engineering in Canada?

Some essential skills for success in the field of mechanical engineering in Canada include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, creativity, teamwork, and communication skills. In addition, knowledge of industry-specific software and staying updated with new technologies is also crucial for success in this field.