Is My Integral Correct for Finding the Enclosed Area of a Polar Equation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter celeramo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration Polar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
celeramo
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the area enclosed by r=2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex])

I'm fairly confident how to do this but for some reason I am getting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rather than 1[tex]\pi[/tex], which the book claims is the answer. There is the possibility the book is wrong, but I want to make sure how to do this.

I have the area=(1/2)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex] (2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex]))^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]

is this integral incorrect for the enclosed area?

Please and thank you very much :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
celeramo said:

Homework Statement


Find the area enclosed by r=2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex])

I'm fairly confident how to do this but for some reason I am getting 2[tex]\pi[/tex] rather than 1[tex]\pi[/tex], which the book claims is the answer. There is the possibility the book is wrong, but I want to make sure how to do this.

I have the area=(1/2)[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/tex] (2cos(3[tex]\theta[/tex]))^2 d[tex]\theta[/tex]

is this integral incorrect for the enclosed area?
No; sketch the curve. Beginning at theta=0, it returns to itself at theta=pi. Hence your integral is going around the curve twice.
 
Therefore, Unco, your answer to his question "Is this integral incorrect", is "Yes"!