Is my justification acceptable?

• I
  • Thread starter Tio Barnabe
  • Start date
In summary, the derivative ##\frac{d}{d \cos \theta} \sin \theta## can be calculated using the chain rule and is equal to ##\pm \text{cot}(\theta)##. The argument that it should be ignored because of a divergent integral is not valid, as differentiation and integration are different operations and something cannot be ignored simply because it is divergent.
Tio Barnabe
I wanted to argue that $$\frac{d}{d \cos \theta} \sin \theta, \ \theta \in [0, \pi]$$ should be ignored in the given interval, because integration of it leads to a divergent integral. Is this acceptable as a reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
I wanted to argue that $$\frac{d}{d \cos \theta} \sin \theta, \ \theta \in [0, \pi]$$ should be ignored in the given interval, because integration of it leads to a divergent integral. Is this acceptable as a reason?
First off, ##\frac{d}{d \cos \theta} \sin \theta## is pretty unwieldy, as ##\sin(\theta)## isn't a function of ##\cos(\theta)## at first glance. However, you could write the derivative as ##\frac d {d(\cos(\theta))} (\pm \sqrt{1 - \cos^2{\theta}})##, and then use the chain rule. So, no, I don't see that it's reasonable to ignore it.

Second, integration and differentiation are different operations, so the fact that the integral of some function on some interval is divergent doesn't have any bearing here.

Likes Tio Barnabe, NFuller, FactChecker and 1 other person
In addition to what @Mark44 said, the idea that something can be ignored because it is divergent is wrong. If it was very small compared to other terms, that would be different, but being too large makes it impossible to ignore.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Just to further elaborate @Mark44's point, it isn't very hard to actually calculate the derivative and show that it does exist. So to drive home the point, here is the result.

Using the transformation ##\xi(\theta)=\text{cos}(\theta)##
$$\text{sin}(\theta)=\pm\sqrt{1-\xi^{2}}$$
so
$$\frac{d}{d\text{cos}(\theta)}\text{sin}(\theta)=\pm\frac{d}{d\xi}\sqrt{1-\xi^{2}}=\pm\frac{\xi}{\sqrt{1-\xi^{2}}}=\pm\frac{\text{cos}(\theta)}{\text{sin}(\theta)}=\pm\text{cot}(\theta)$$

Likes Tio Barnabe
Thank you to everyone

1. What is the criteria for an acceptable justification?

The criteria for an acceptable justification may vary depending on the specific context or field of study, but generally it should be logical, supported by evidence, and relevant to the research question or hypothesis being tested.

2. How do I know if my justification is strong enough?

The strength of a justification can be evaluated by considering the quality and quantity of evidence used to support it, as well as its coherence and consistency with previous research. It is also important to consider alternative explanations and address potential limitations of the justification.

3. Can I use personal opinions or beliefs as a justification?

No, personal opinions or beliefs should not be used as a justification in scientific research. Justifications should be based on objective evidence and reasoning, rather than subjective viewpoints.

4. What if my justification contradicts previous research?

If your justification contradicts previous research, it is important to carefully evaluate and address the reasons for the contradiction. This may involve considering different methods, populations, or interpretations of the evidence. If the contradiction cannot be resolved, it is important to acknowledge this in your research and discuss possible implications.

5. Is there a specific format for presenting justifications in scientific research?

There is no specific format for presenting justifications in scientific research, as it may vary depending on the discipline or journal requirements. However, it is important to clearly state your justification and provide evidence to support it, whether it is in the form of data, literature review, or logical reasoning.