Is My Op Amp Burned Out? Voltage Check

In summary, it seems that the output voltage of the op amp is greater than the power supply voltage (+/- 5V). This might be a sign that the op amp is burned out, and it might be a good idea to replace it.
bphui
The output voltage of op amp is greater than the power supply voltage (+/- 5V). Is Op amp burned out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably. Have you tried replacing it?
Is it of the order of one of your input voltages?
Is your volt-meter or sensor hooked up to v out and not to your inputs?
Do you possibly have it set up as +10/0V as opposed to +/-5V?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Probably. Have you tried replacing it?
Is it of the order of one of your input voltages?
Is your volt-meter or sensor hooked up to v out and not to your inputs?
Do you possibly have it set up as +10/0V as opposed to +/-5V?
Yes, I have replaced it and the result is still the same.
I also set the power supply to +5/0V, the output has negative voltage too.
I am connecting charge amplifier with pvdf film.

What are you referencing as ground on your voltmeter? Is it the ground off of the power supply?

Also, check the difference between your high and ground with a voltmeter.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
What are you referencing as ground on your voltmeter? Is it the ground off of the power supply?
Ground the negative terminal of op amp.

bphui said:
The output voltage of op amp is greater than the power supply voltage (+/- 5V). Is Op amp burned out?
What other voltage is connected to the output. The output of the circuit cannot be outside of the power rails without some other power source pulling that point up.

Can you post your schematic?

If the negative lead of the voltmeter is hooked to the negative supply when using a split supply setup I can see why you could get readings like this.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
What other voltage is connected to the output. The output of the circuit cannot be outside of the power rails without some other power source pulling that point up.

Can you post your schematic?
This is the circuit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-04-07 10.49.25.png
    Screenshot 2016-04-07 10.49.25.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 430
Your schematic does not show which pins you use to connect to the power supply.

p
Svein said:
Your schematic does not show which pins you use to connect to the power supply.
pin 4 connect to -5v
pin 7 connect to +5v

Using 100MΩ feedback with a 0.22μF input capacitor is a recipe for trouble. The time constant is 22 seconds - so it will take forever to stabilize.

Likes bphui
Svein said:
Using 100MΩ feedback with a 0.22μF input capacitor is a recipe for trouble. The time constant is 22 seconds - so it will take forever to stabilize.
I noticed this too. The whole things looks a bit odd. Wondering what is connected to the header?

Averagesupernova said:
I noticed this too. The whole things looks a bit odd. Wondering what is connected to the header?
The header connects with pvdf film.

Svein said:
Is 100M feedback with 0.22uF and 1000pF?

What causes an op amp to burn out?

An op amp can burn out due to excessive current, voltage spikes, overheating, or incorrect circuit connections.

How can I tell if my op amp is burned out?

You can check for a burned out op amp by performing a voltage check using a multimeter. If the output voltage is significantly lower than the input voltage, it may indicate a burned out op amp.

Can a burned out op amp be fixed?

In most cases, a burned out op amp cannot be fixed and will need to be replaced. However, if the cause of the burnout was a temporary overload or voltage spike, the op amp may return to normal functioning once the issue is resolved.

Can a burned out op amp damage other components in my circuit?

Yes, a burned out op amp can potentially damage other components in the circuit if it is not detected and replaced. It is important to check for a burned out op amp if you suspect any issues with your circuit.

How can I prevent my op amp from burning out?

To prevent an op amp from burning out, make sure to follow the recommended operating conditions and circuit connections specified in the datasheet. Also, use proper power supply and decoupling techniques to avoid voltage spikes. Regularly checking for any issues or overloads in the circuit can also prevent op amp burnout.