Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving

• Thread starter PatternSeeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is about a proof that aims to show that angle Beta decreases at a quadratic rate as the length of AB increases. However, it is noted that the proof does not reflect this increase in length and that there may be a more efficient method using Taylor series or a geometric approach.
PatternSeeker
Hi,

I am working on a proof . Could you kindly check my work in the attachment?
Am I addressing the problem correctly? Also, am I missing any steps?

The problem is stated in the attachment. My work in progress and a relevant diagram are also included.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• MathForumJune2012.jpg
    MathForumJune2012.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "proof" doesn't mean anything. You list 7 fairly straight forward statements and then add the conclusion at the end. But it doesn't follow from the previous statement.

In fact, exactly what is it you are trying to prove? "Show that angle [itex]\beta[/itex] will approximate [itex]1/(AB)^2[/itex] as AB increases in length". Are you saying that in the limit as AB goes to infinity? If so then [itex]1/(AB)^2[/itex] will go to 0. Is that what you are saying? That the angle goes to 0? Your "proof" cannot be right because it says nothing about AB "increasing". It is purely static.

Hi,

Thank you for answering. I see your point. A proof should reflect an increase in the length of "AB". What I would like to show is that angle Beta decreases (towards zero) at a quadratic rate. Apparently the decrease in that angle should be inversely proportional to (AB)^2. Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

Something is going wrong with your proof. When AB grows, you have [itex] \cos(\alpha + \beta) \rightarrow 1 + \mathcal{O}(\beta) [/itex], [itex] \sin^2(\beta) \rightarrow \beta^2 [/itex], so you wouldn't get the scaling you're asked for. This problem is very easy to do using Taylor series: all you need to do is to write [itex] \beta = \theta-\alpha [/itex]and then expand the angles into series -- you should get something like [itex] \beta \sim \frac{AC}{AB} - \frac{AC}{AF} [/itex]. Perhaps there is some geometric way of getting a similar relation?

Related to Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving

What is "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving"?

"Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving" is an online platform that provides assistance with problem solving and checking mathematical proofs. It allows users to submit their work and receive feedback from experts in their field.

How does "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving" work?

Users can submit their mathematical proofs or problem solving questions through the website. The submissions are then reviewed by a team of experts who provide feedback and suggestions for improvement. Users can also interact with the experts to ask further questions and clarify any doubts.

Who are the experts on "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving"?

The experts on "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving" are highly qualified professionals with expertise in various fields of mathematics. They have a strong understanding of problem solving techniques and mathematical proofs, and are committed to helping users improve their skills in these areas.

Is "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving" only for students?

No, "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving" is open to anyone who needs assistance with problem solving or checking mathematical proofs. It can be useful for students, researchers, and professionals who want to improve their problem solving skills or receive feedback on their work.

How can I get started with "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving"?

To get started with "Check My Proof - Get Help w/ Problem Solving", simply visit the website and create an account. From there, you can submit your work and start receiving feedback from experts. You can also browse through previously answered questions to see examples of the type of assistance provided on the platform.