Is my view of the world economy too simplistic?

• News
  • Thread starter Ian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economy
In summary, inflation in the world economy is influenced by the amount of money available and the demand for products and services. The recent loss of billions in the world banking system has not caused the money to vanish, but rather has changed hands within the system. This has led to an imbalance in the global economy, with too much money chasing too few goods and services, resulting in inflation. Additionally, the recession has further exacerbated this issue as the economy shrinks and there is an even greater shortage of goods and services. The concept of projecting net worth, as seen in the ENRON scandal, can also contribute to these issues. However, it is important to note that illegal activities, such as the actions of Mr. Madoff, are separate from
Ian
Inflation in our world economy is determined by the amount of money chasing the available products and services. This is not the same as 'pricing' which is set by the demand for products and services.
Now, recently the world banking system lost billions. The money has not vanished into thin air but has only changed hands and is still within the system. Since the banks operate the system our goverments have had to prop them up with a massive billions strong cash injection from out of public coffers (money on the outside of the economic system).
This is going to leave us in the unfortunate position of having way, way too much money within the global economy chasing too few goods and inflation must rise as a result.
There is a recession coming, if not in some places already, so the economy shrinks and we have even less goods and services which makes the imbalance all the worse.
I am an engineer not an economist, but I was taught this precept in uni and it does worry me - is this too simplistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's my understanding that ENRON caused so much trouble because they were allowed to 'project' their net worth based on what they thought they would do in sales for the next quarter. So their worth really did vanish into thin air -because it was never there to begin with!

I don't know how true this is in other places, or if this was particular illegal thing that caused their demise.

Ian said:
Now, recently the world banking system lost billions. The money has not vanished into thin air but has only changed hands and is still within the system.

I'm also not an economist at all, and my understanding of world economy is probably even more naive than yours, but I don't think that "money was conserved" during the recent crash. After all, a large amount of "money" was in stock and worse, derived products, which is nothing else but a collective guess of what a company is worth (or is going to be worth, or...). Well, we now collectively guess that all those companies are worth way way less than we thought before. So that "money" has simply vanished in smoke from the moment we changed our minds.
You could say that we didn't really have it back then (the company *wasn't* worth it, but we thought so), but then that money didn't exist in the first place.

I thought the same at first, but Mr Madoff took from peter to pay paul, in other words, he simply gave away the banks money and lived on the semblance of being the world 'money guru'.
The money was actually physically there to begin with, it is not a question of what Enron did, which was 'false accounting'. Madoff hid paul from peter, but the money really was there to begin with. That is what makes this crisis so dangerous to the world system.

Ian said:
Now, recently the world banking system lost billions. The money has not vanished into thin air but has only changed hands and is still within the system.
That isn't quite correct.

When you buy something like a house, it has a value that it set by market forces. Later, you try to sell it, and the value has changed. Is the house any different from when you bought it? No. But market forces make the value different. If the house is worth 10% more than when you bought it, then you have gained 10% of the value of the house from nothing. If market forces dictate that the house is worth 10% less, then that value really has vanished into thin air. But money doesn't change hands unless money changes hands.

vanesch said:
I'm also not an economist at all, and my understanding of world economy is probably even more naive than yours, but I don't think that "money was conserved" during the recent crash.
You are correct: money is not conserved.

Ian said:
I thought the same at first, but Mr Madoff took from peter to pay paul, in other words, he simply gave away the banks money and lived on the semblance of being the world 'money guru'.
The money was actually physically there to begin with, it is not a question of what Enron did, which was 'false accounting'. Madoff hid paul from peter, but the money really was there to begin with. That is what makes this crisis so dangerous to the world system.
You're describing a crime, whith doesn't have much of anything to do with how the economy works.

As far as money being destroyed and burned at the financial market, picture a situation with say ten people siting on a table and passing around a card. The first one sells it to the second one for 10 dollars, the second one to the third one for 20 dollars and so on.
The last one buys the card for 100 dollars, but now no one wants to buy it because they found out (or some of the other nine other guys knew before) that the card is worthless.

To expand the model, think that there are other tables in the room with cards being passed around. Now information is collected at what prices the cards are passed over on each individual table at each moment. One market price for all tables gets established. So one buys a card for 40 dollars and suddenly it is worth 100 dollars because on other tables some are willingly to pay and actually do pay 100 dollars. But after the crash, when no ones wants to buy, is worthless, too.

Last edited:

Related to Is my view of the world economy too simplistic?

What is the world economy?

The world economy refers to the global system of production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. It includes all countries, markets, and transactions that make up the global economic landscape.

How does the world economy function?

The world economy functions through the interaction of various factors such as governments, businesses, financial institutions, and individuals. These actors engage in economic activities such as trade, investment, and consumption, which contribute to the overall functioning of the global economy.

Is the world economy a complex system?

Yes, the world economy is a highly complex system with many interconnected parts. It involves numerous variables, such as political systems, natural resources, technological advancements, and cultural differences, which make it challenging to fully understand and predict.

What factors influence the world economy?

Some of the main factors that influence the world economy include economic policies, natural disasters, political stability, trade agreements, and technological advancements. These factors can have significant impacts on the global economy and can shape its direction and performance.

How does my view of the world economy affect my decisions?

As a scientist, your view of the world economy is likely based on data and evidence. This view can influence your decisions, as it helps you understand the complexities of the global economy and make informed choices. However, it is essential to continuously update and revise your view as the world economy is constantly changing.