Is non-emergency appendectomy still ok?

• Medical
  • Thread starter JordanN
  • Start date
In summary, the removal of a non-inflammed appendix is still recommended due to its potential to become a lymphatic organ. However, recent studies have shown that the appendix does have non-vital functions. People with a removed appendix may have a higher chance of developing Crohn's disease, but the risk of dying from appendicitis is very low in non-3rd world countries. It is generally advised to hold on to any non-vital body parts and not undergo surgery unless absolutely necessary.
JordanN
Is removal of a non-inflammed appendix still reccommended due to its potential nature of being a lymphatic organ? Also, is it true people with a removed appendix have a higher chance of getting chron's disease?

I don't want to face the risk of my appendix bursting in the future so I rather have it out then be paranoid my whole life.

Biology news on Phys.org
That is ridiculous. You should not get your appendix removed because you're worried about it sometime becoming inflamed. People in non-3rd world countries (virtually) never die of appendicitis.

Recent studies are showing that the appendix does have functions, although non-vital ones. Generally, you should hold on to any part of your body that you don't imminently need to remove.

maybe talk to someone about the paranoia. even if the appendix were gone, some other fear might replace it.

Don't have an appendectomy unless you actually have to, the appendix, even if not vital, is still present for a reason.
Being Internal and not surgical, I am as a rule opposed to any surgical procedures that are not strictly necesary.

Christopher Jespersen
MD

I understand your concerns about the potential risks of having a non-inflamed appendix. However, it is important to note that an appendectomy, or removal of the appendix, is typically only recommended if there is evidence of inflammation or infection. This is because the appendix serves as a reservoir for beneficial bacteria, and removing it unnecessarily can disrupt the balance of bacteria in the gut and potentially lead to other health issues.

Furthermore, while the appendix does have some lymphatic tissue, it is not considered a major lymphatic organ and its removal does not significantly impact the immune system. Therefore, the potential benefits of removing a non-inflamed appendix must be weighed against the potential risks and complications of surgery.

As for the link between appendectomy and Crohn's disease, there is some evidence that suggests a correlation, but it is not fully understood. It is important to note that correlation does not necessarily equal causation, and there could be other factors at play. More research is needed to fully understand the relationship between the two.

Ultimately, the decision to undergo a non-emergency appendectomy should be made in consultation with a medical professional, weighing the individual's specific health situation and potential risks and benefits.

1. What is a non-emergency appendectomy?

A non-emergency appendectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the appendix when it is not immediately life-threatening. This can be done if the patient has a chronic or recurrent appendicitis, or if the appendix is found to be inflamed during another surgical procedure.

2. Is it safe to have a non-emergency appendectomy?

Yes, a non-emergency appendectomy is generally considered a safe procedure. However, as with any surgery, there are potential risks and complications that your doctor will discuss with you before the procedure.

3. How long does it take to recover from a non-emergency appendectomy?

The recovery time can vary depending on the individual and the specific circumstances of the surgery. In general, it may take 1-2 weeks for the incision to heal and for the patient to return to normal activities.

4. Will I need to change my diet after a non-emergency appendectomy?

Your doctor may recommend a temporary change in diet, such as avoiding certain foods or liquids, to aid in the healing process. However, in the long term, there should be no significant changes to your diet after a non-emergency appendectomy.

5. Can I prevent the need for a non-emergency appendectomy?

In most cases, appendicitis cannot be prevented. However, maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle and seeking prompt medical attention for abdominal pain can help reduce the risk of developing appendicitis.