Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Is Obama fueling the Gate's incident?

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_harvard_scholar [Broken]

The investigation of the incident is still on going but Obama said publicly that the police "acted stupidly," perhaps they did but anyone else thinks it is sort of premature to say so?

Also

"Obama said he could understand police responding in good faith if he was forcing his way into his old house in Chicago"

"Here I'd get shot," he joked.

Puts a dent on the Chicago police department

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, to use the Office of the US President to attack the Cambridge police on national TV without further details was, I'll say, lame.

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_disorderly [Broken]

Talk about mixed messages.

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This is silly, when I broke into my neighbors house, the President didnt defend me one bit.

Wait did i just say that?

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try to at least get the most elementary information correct. He joked about being shot if he was breaking into his house at the White House. When he said "my house" he realized that is a bit different being that he is the President.

He is also personal friends with Gates, which he made clear. He went on to say:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25310.html#ixzz0M7VGkCSB

I would say it is more likely that the cops acted out a sense of superiority, than stupidly. They didn't like their authority being challenged. That is why he was arrested - he asked for their badge numbers - and that's why the charges were dropped.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. Jul 23, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

The cop that arrested Gates is supposedly an expert in racial profiling.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090723/ap_on_re_us/us_harvard_scholar_disorderly;_ylt=Aq80jc3wsWx0MvX7FV12pd6s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNmamU5OTRrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNzIzL3VzX2hhcnZhcmRfc2Nob2xhcl9kaXNvcmRlcmx5BGNwb3MDMgRwb3MDNwRwdANzZWN0aW9uc19jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2NvcHdob2FycmVzdA-- [Broken]

8. Jul 23, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well, I'd say he created his own incident! Perhaps he was premature in that he didn't know what the facts were, but the facts of the incident were clear enough by then to anyone who reads the news that Obama really "acted stupidly" here. He put his foot in his mouth and he should apologize to the cop.

As for the professor, I guess he's just another race baiter. Coming home from a long trip and finding you've locked yourself out of your house is frustrating to say the least, so I can accept his initial reaction to the police being called as a frustrated indescretion. But it's been a few days now - he should have had time to calm down and realize he was just plain wrong and the cop was right. And even the woman who called the police - she was right too! The only person involved in the incident who was wrong is Gates.

9. Jul 23, 2009 #8
    1.) Gates was quite simply just a jerk. Just show the cop your DL politely and the situation is over in 2 minutes. No need to throw a hissy fit or be difficult.

2.) The cops screwed up by arresting him. People are allowed to be jerks on their own property. Disorderly conduct in a public space? WEAK. He was in his own house.

Gates was probably looking for a conflict when there didn't even need to be one. This incident is not important at all.

10. Jul 23, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Well that's just some real bad luck!

This is a perfect storm.

11. Jul 23, 2009 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yelling at an officer WILL get you arrested. That is the definition of disorderly conduct. He was outside... not in his own house.

The http://www.amnation.com/vfr/Police report on Gates arrest.PDF" is an interesting read.

Not weak at all...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Jul 23, 2009 #11

russ_watters

Actually, no, you are not allowed to be a jerk to the police anywhere. Even on your own property.
    No, this incident is important because it is a great example of the principal racism problem in America today. From black scholars to the President himself, we live in a society where race baiting is at the forefront of black culture. The reason we are not "post racial" isn't the lingering fringe of white racism (which is real), it is because the black culture is hypersensitive to any perceived racism. Non-racist whites, in turn, are forced to tiptoe around the topic for fear of being so labeled.

But this incident went to about the furthest extreme possible and is so perfectly wrong it is going to serve as the archetypal example of the problem for a long time to come. Trust me on this one: people aren't going to let it go.

[edit] Remember you heard it here first: This will jeopardize Obama's re-election chances.

13. Jul 23, 2009 #12

russ_watters

While I am aware he was outside, I think it is important to note that that is irrelevant. Inside or outside, the crime is the same.

14. Jul 23, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Reportedly, the officer who accosted Gates in his own home and on his own property refused to identify himself to Gates. It might be nice if our public servants actually followed procedure, even when it does not suit them.

15. Jul 23, 2009 #14

russ_watters

Have a read of the police report. Gates was not interested in his ID, only in berating him. He shouted over the cop when the cop tried to tell him his name - several times.

16. Jul 23, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Did Gates have any input to the police report? Are police reports always honest and accurate? I would be VERY ticked off if the cops accosted me in my own home, and I doubt that the resultant police report would reflect well on me. I have a nephew in the state police, a relative who was (now retired) chief of police for the county seat, and a dear friend was (now retired) chief of the Maine warden service, and his son who is currently a warden. I have nothing against law-enforcement officials in general. The fact that a police officer arrested a black scholar in his own home in a nice neighborhood in Cambridge seems lost on you. The fact that the officer is an expert in racial profiling and refused to give his name and badge number to the professor after accosting him in his own home is past ironic.

17. Jul 23, 2009 #16

Evo

I read that and it did sound like gates copped an attitude and was beligerant and caused all of the trouble. If he had co-operated with the police, it would have been over in a couple of minutes...no incident.

No sympathy from me on this one.

18. Jul 23, 2009 #17

berkeman

Thanks for that. Very helpful. I'm pretty sure President Obama didn't have a chance to read that before making his comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  19. Jul 23, 2009 #18

berkeman

Don't know if they're always honest and accurate, but police can be fired for putting false information in the report, or omitting important information.

20. Jul 23, 2009 #19

j93

I fully understand the police were investigating a call which really does give them the right to investigate

but

For Gods Sake the matter should of ended when he showed his identification without an arrest. Unless the house had no personal property in it whatsoever which is highly doubtful the only common sense investigation to be done is if there is the owner private property (pictures,documents, mailbox(You dont even have to enter the house most of the time). I have never heard of a burglar sending mail in his name to the property he is about to rob or put pictures of his house. Given that it should be pretty obvious who is the property owner based on the methods described coupled with his providing id. Now can someone explain to me how the police didnt botch this by not using common sense despite the professors attitude because you dont have to be a genius to know to use the common sense methods I have described instead of giving the professor the third degree.

21. Jul 23, 2009 #20

berkeman

Did you read the police report?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook