Is physics your main interest in life?Is Physics the Right Path for Me?

• Thread starter pv=nrt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a high school student who is considering studying physics in university but is unsure about their abilities and the differences between high school and university level physics. They discuss the difficulty of university physics, the importance of being passionate about the subject, and the potential career opportunities in the field. The student also mentions the current state of their country's job market and their desire to keep physics as a hobby.
pv=nrt
Ok, new member,with english not being my main language -just sayin.
(This is a school - job regarding question)
Well, first, as a matter of introducing myself, I am a high school student,
and my question is: how different are school's physics from University's?

To explain further, I've never been any good at math or physics - because I never
studied, I guess. But after I started extra classes last year to help me (and I did improve) I
started finding it more and more appealing - though at the same time partly difficult.
Now I am one year short of finishing high school, and still thinking about a possible career.
My country doesn't have a good job market atm, and things are kind of ****ed up.
My first choice is now almost out of my reach due to secondary reasons,
and I am now torn between.. well, anything and anything. So if to some this seems
like a "last resort" thread or find this childish, I don't really care.
What I want to say to those who are still reading this, however, is this:
What really troubles me, is that I don't think I am going to be that good at physics.
I like the way physics are taught, developed and studied - but , at the same time,
find it too complicated with all these laws and types, which then create more types etc.
I DO like them, their whole concept- but don't thing I'll be up for this.
So , second question: (and thank you for reading this far)
Has anyone been in my place? Anyone who is now studying physics? I mean, someone
who didnt' exactly fall from the sky or was always hard working?
In another way: Can someone who was practically wasted 4 years of school physics,
learn what he needs to enter a university in his 2 last ones? And if he does, will he
be able to cope with the difficulties? I AM willing to study a lot - and already are, with my grades gradually improving - but I need a serious answer so I know if I can have this option
or not. And are the physics there completely different? I've heard theyre doing some super-special extra tough classed, and freaking out.
All answers are welcome, though I'd rather you be cruel( NOT RUDE) and speak the truth,
even if the answer is "you can't."
I'll always like physics and will keep it as a hobby, but I have to clear things up.
Thanks to anyone who read & replied.
A student

Physics news on Phys.org
You and me are in the same boat.

Damn.
The first answer is that of another drawning man xD

how different are school's physics from University's?

The tests are different as they are not typically 'plug and chug questions'. Also, the pace of the courses seems quicker, but that could just be due to the overall course-load (it's higher).

Bottom line: Uni physics is more difficult than HS physics.

One point:
Many people like HS physics and like it, so decide to study physics as undergrads. Then when subjects become more abstract, like with quantum mechanics, they get turned off because they are no longer given problems involving blocks sliding down inclined planes and stuff like that. Most people who like physics (and are not physicists) like doing the classical mechanics stuff, and discussing -but not doing- the modern stuff (the sexy stuff like black holes, quantum entanglement and so on).
Physics is an ever-changing field where the point of being a physicist is contributing to this process, not solving plug-and-chug problems for which you don't have to study.
Just be careful with that.

dsanz said:
One point:
Many people like HS physics and like it, so decide to study physics as undergrads. Then when subjects become more abstract, like with quantum mechanics, they get turned off because they are no longer given problems involving blocks sliding down inclined planes and stuff like that. Most people who like physics (and are not physicists) like doing the classical mechanics stuff, and discussing -but not doing- the modern stuff (the sexy stuff like black holes, quantum entanglement and so on).
Physics is an ever-changing field where the point of being a physicist is contributing to this process, not solving plug-and-chug problems for which you don't have to study.
Just be careful with that.

They should do engineering then.

Hey man I know exactly how you feel. I've always been interested in physics, being able to understand nature and the universe n all. But I've never been good at math because I just hated it. My high school math average was something like a 68.

I'm still only in my 2nd year at Uni so I'm still on my grind, but I realized that for what I want to do (aerospace industry), I wanted to study physics rather than engineering because I was genuinely interested in the concepts n all.

If you want to study physics in Uni, there's no running away from math, numbers, and weird symbols. So the best you can do is accept this and do your best. My current average in math courses is about a B*. In physics, don't strain you brain by just seeing these weird symbols and complicated math because you'll hate it and it'll turn you away from studying. Try to understand what they actually mean, like visualize.

Also, realize that there are several topics that you must learn in order to get a physics degree that you may or may not like: classical mechanics, electrodynamics, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, optics, relativity, waves etc.

With respect to the situation in your country however, I think you should get a general idea of what you want to do with your life and how an education in physics can get you there.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Likes Ethan1983
That's the best question you could ask yourself while your still young. The answer is ultimately up to you, but you should think about these questions first.

Are you passionate about science? Are you enthralled by questions about the origin of the universe? Do you ever find yourself wondering what matter really is; what force drives (or originally drove) the universe?

If your answer is yes to any of the above, study mathematics. What is difficult becomes simple later on and your ability to excel in highly complex problems (systems) is a factor of youth with regard to mathematics. If you start while your young your ability to understand and contribute is substantially enhanced.

1. What is the purpose of studying physics?

Studying physics allows us to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many other fields.

2. Is physics a difficult subject to learn?

Physics can be challenging, but with dedication and perseverance, anyone can understand and apply its concepts. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice regularly to improve understanding.

3. How is physics relevant to our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from the technology we use to the natural phenomena we observe. It helps us understand how things work and allows us to develop new technologies that improve our lives.

4. Can anyone pursue a career in physics?

Yes, anyone with an interest and aptitude for physics can pursue a career in the field. It is a diverse and interdisciplinary field, with opportunities in research, industry, and education.

5. What are the branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.