Is Providing a Resume a Sign of Interest in Undergrad Research Opportunities?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interest in conducting research and their recent meeting with a prominent professor at their university. The professor asked for a resume, which could potentially indicate an interest in hiring the speaker, although it could also be a way for the professor to assess the speaker's skills and qualifications. The speaker plans to read the professor's papers and engage in further discussions to increase their chances of securing a research position.
UCFEng06
Hey everyone,

I recently met with a professor who is prominent in research at my university to discuss undergraduate research opportunites. I expressed my interest in conducting research and after talking for a while he told me to bring him a resume. Would you say that shows an interest in hiring me, or is it normal for professors to ask for resumes?

I ask because I am extremely interesting in working with him and am trying to analyze my chances.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It could mean various things. If he had NOTHING to be done he wouldn't have even asked for a resume, so that's a start. He probably just wants to know what you can do. Not very helpful, I know :P But good luck

He did mention that he had no open positions right now but he does have some seniors who do research that are graduating this semester. I'm hoping that he wanted the resume to keep until a position opens up.

Read some of his papers and come up with some good questions and talk to him about it. This will get you stuck in his mind and you'll have a much better chance of getting a position.

BTW, you probably won't understand most of the papers at your level, but you can still get the gist of it.

Related to Is Providing a Resume a Sign of Interest in Undergrad Research Opportunities?

1. What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research is a form of experiential learning in which students engage in original research projects under the guidance of a faculty mentor. It allows students to apply what they have learned in the classroom to real-world problems and develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

2. How can I get involved in undergraduate research?

The best way to get involved in undergraduate research is to reach out to faculty members in your field of interest and express your interest in their research. You can also check with your school's research office or department to see if they have any opportunities available. Additionally, many schools offer research programs or courses specifically for undergraduates.

3. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research?

Participating in undergraduate research has numerous benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, gaining hands-on experience in your field of study, building relationships with faculty mentors, and enhancing your resume for future job or graduate school applications.

4. Do I need prior research experience to participate in undergraduate research?

No, prior research experience is not necessary to participate in undergraduate research. Many students start with little to no research experience and learn through the guidance of their faculty mentor. However, having a strong foundation in your field of study and a passion for research can be beneficial.

5. Can I receive academic credit or compensation for my undergraduate research?

Many schools offer academic credit for undergraduate research through independent study or research courses. Some schools also offer stipends or compensation for students involved in research. It is best to check with your school's research office or department to see what options are available.