Is Quantum Computation the Foundation of Quantum Gravity?

In summary, the article discusses the concept of spin networks and how they can be reformulated in terms of harmonic oscillators. This allows for a link between LQG and non-commutative geometry. Another section of the article discusses how quantum reference frames could help us to localize systems on a spin network background.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
http://lanl.arxiv.org/quant-ph/0501135
The Computational Universe
A theory of quantum gravity based on quantum computation
24 jan 2005

I know :smile:
that is Seth Lloyd's new paper. I posted a link to it the day it came out
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=439912#post439912
and one of us, Kea, responded
Kea said:
I had a quick look at this... Where is SetAI when we need him? The idea of building QG with qubits is now well entrenched in certain circles.
Cheers
Kea :smile:

I commented briefly on Seth Lloyd in that 24 jan post, looked up his past work in Quantum Computing and put a link to a 1996 article. Not long after that, Kea recommended the same article to SetAI, in a thread he started which became a sticky. The Seth Lloyd article seems to appeal to SetAI----and Kea's comment suggests to me that there could be a bunch of people interested in the idea of modeling gravity with computation

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i missed it, it is rather mechanical approach to QG, which
has some appeal to me, but i guess it will stay on the book shelf,
shame really i like furry little quib its.

wolram said:
Sorry i missed it, it is rather mechanical approach to QG, which
has some appeal to me, but i guess it will stay on the book shelf,
shame really i like furry little quib its.

May I invite you to also take a look at the article I flagged right after that one (25 January) here
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=440989&postcount=290

Reconstructing Quantum Geometry from Quantum Information: Spin Networks as Harmonic Oscillators
Florian Girelli, Etera R. Livine
16 pages, revtex, 3 figures

"Loop Quantum Gravity defines the quantum states of space geometry as spin networks and describes their evolution in time. We reformulate spin networks in terms of harmonic oscillators and show how the holographic degrees of freedom of the theory are described as matrix models. This allow us to make a link with non-commutative geometry and to look at the issue of the semi-classical limit of LQG from a new perspective. This work is thought as part of a bigger project of describing quantum geometry in quantum information terms."

Instead of being put off by not understanding it, try to get the drift. Here is a quote:

----quote from Livine Girelli---
A possibly relevant point of view is provided by quantum information. It appears that many mathematical tools and physical questions are actually shared by loop quantum gravity and the quantum information field, and it could be helpful to develop an explicit bridge between these two research areas. This defines a project to reformulate quantum geometry in terms of entropy, entanglement and quantum reference frames. The present work is thought as part of this bigger project. We seek to understand the geometry of spin networks at the kinematical level. We reformulate spin networks in terms of harmonic oscillators and we show how the boundary degrees of freedom in LQG are described as matrix models...
... In a last section, we explain how quantum reference frames should allow us to localize systems on a spin network background and end with the idea that a notion of distance could be constructed on a spin network can be constructed in terms of entanglement between parts of that spin network.
---end quote---

I think Livine Girelli hit a rich vein here.

Marcus said:
quote from Livine Girelli---
A possibly relevant point of view is provided by quantum information. It appears that many mathematical tools and physical questions are actually shared by loop quantum gravity and the quantum information field, and it could be helpful to develop an explicit bridge between these two research areas. This defines a project to reformulate quantum geometry in terms of entropy, entanglement and quantum reference frames. The present work is thought as part of this bigger project. We seek to understand the geometry of spin networks at the kinematical level. We reformulate spin networks in terms of harmonic oscillators and we show how the boundary degrees of freedom in LQG are described as matrix models...
... In a last section, we explain how quantum reference frames should allow us to localize systems on a spin network background and end with the idea that a notion of distance could be constructed on a spin network can be constructed in terms of entanglement between parts of that spin network.
---end quote---

I think Livine Girelli hit a rich vein here.

This is where Kea points out to us that categories and toposes are the natural way to express those common tools and physical relations. True, too.

I must admit the idea of spin network, circuits is an interesting
concept, the information is probably in the papers you pointed
to, but I am to green, and can not see how these spin networks
circuits evolve and multiply, and if they follow a blueprint or
form spontaneously.
My printer is dead so i have book marked these pages for hope
of better understanding.

marcus said:
----quote from Livine Girelli---
A possibly relevant point of view is provided by quantum information. It appears that many mathematical tools and physical questions are actually shared by loop quantum gravity and the quantum information field, and it could be helpful to develop an explicit bridge between these two research areas. This defines a project to reformulate quantum geometry in terms of entropy, entanglement and quantum reference frames. .
If space-time is a result of a quantum computer algorithms, and computer algorithms have entropy (I've been told), does this article imply that there is a certain emount of entropy associated with space-time itself? I think I've read other articles that may have directly said this, but I don't remember where.

I like the idea of unify quantum gravity with computation. Maybe some of you know that I believe that the Universe is a creation of a computer (read my journal for more info). I have read Lloyd's paper superficially and I find interesting the idea of Computational graphs, that somehow remember to me an integrated circuit of some PC

meteor

meteor said:
I like the idea of unify quantum gravity with computation.

Would you like to vote on selfAdjoint's poll in Quantum? Not that I'm trying to sway you either way...well, it would be nice if enough people voted for a certain option then maybe we could get a new subforum one of these days...

Science by proxy ? no

Related to Is Quantum Computation the Foundation of Quantum Gravity?

1. What is the Computational Universe?

The Computational Universe is the concept that the entire universe can be described and explained through computational processes and algorithms. It suggests that the universe operates like a giant computer, with all physical phenomena being the result of calculations and information processing.

2. How does the idea of the Computational Universe differ from traditional scientific views?

The idea of the Computational Universe challenges traditional scientific views, such as the belief that the universe is fundamentally made up of physical matter and energy. It suggests that information and computation are at the core of reality, rather than physical particles.

3. Can the Computational Universe be proven?

Currently, there is no way to prove or disprove the concept of the Computational Universe. It is a theoretical framework that is still being explored and debated by scientists and philosophers. However, there is evidence that supports the idea, such as the success of computer simulations in predicting and understanding complex phenomena in the universe.

4. What implications does the Computational Universe have for our understanding of the universe?

The Computational Universe has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe operates according to rules and algorithms, and that everything in the universe can be described and predicted through computation. This could potentially revolutionize our approach to studying and understanding the universe.

5. How does the concept of the Computational Universe relate to artificial intelligence?

The concept of the Computational Universe is closely related to artificial intelligence (AI). It suggests that the human brain, and by extension AI, operates similarly to a computer, with information processing and computation being the basis of intelligence. This has led to the development of theories and models that explore the potential of AI and its relationship to the universe.