Is quantum superposition the same as regular superposition in physics?

• B
  • Thread starter Bianca Meske
  • Start date
In summary, quantum superposition and regular superposition, as seen in the superposition of sound waves, are related in that they both involve solving linear differential equations and the concept of superposition applies to both. However, they are different physical problems governed by different equations. Examples such as photon polarization demonstrate the concept of superposition in action.
Bianca Meske
Is the superposition of sound waves comparable to the superposition of a particle or more specifically (for an explanation's sake) an electron? OR are quantum superposition and "regular" superposition two unrelated things?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are somewhat related.

The state of a quantum system is found by solving Schrodinger's equation, a differential equation. The state of a sound wave in air is found by solving a similar differential equation. Both differential equations are linear, which means that they have the property that if ##A## is a solution and ##B## is a solution then ##C=\alpha{A}+\beta{B}## (where ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are arbitrary constants) will also be a solution; we then say that the solution C is a superposition of A and B. So they are different physical problems governed by different equations, but the mathematical concept of superposition happens to apply to both equations.

(And be careful here. It's easy to misunderstand and put too much emphasis on this idea that some solutions are superpositions and some aren't. If I have two solutions ##A## and ##B## for my differential equation, I'll know that ##C=A+B## and ##D=A-B## are also solutions, and I'll say they are superpositions of ##A## and ##B##. But a bit of algebra will also tell me that ##A=(C+D)/2## and ##B=(C-D)/2## - and now it's ##A## and ##B## that look like superpositions).

I already mentioned photon polarization as a good example of superposition. If ##A## above is the state "polarized vertically" and ##B## is the state "polarized horizontally", then ##C## and ##D## would be the states "polarized 45 degrees left" and "polarized 45 degrees right".

1. What is a superposition?

A superposition is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where a particle or system exists in multiple states or positions simultaneously.

2. How is superposition different from classical physics?

In classical physics, a particle or system can only be in one state or position at a time. In quantum mechanics, superposition allows for the possibility of multiple states or positions at once.

3. What is the significance of superposition in quantum computing?

Superposition is a key aspect of quantum computing that allows for the potential of exponentially faster processing and solving complex problems that are not feasible with classical computers.

4. How do scientists observe or measure superposition?

Scientists use various techniques such as quantum interference, quantum tomography, and quantum state tomography to observe and measure superposition in quantum systems.

5. Can superposition be seen in everyday life?

No, superposition is a phenomenon that is only observed at the quantum level and is not visible in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in technologies such as quantum computers and quantum sensors.