Is reality just electrical signals interpreted by our brain?

• Thread starter samsracecar
  • Start date
In summary: Summary In summary, this person is discussing the basis for some famous philosophy and whether or not anything exists "real" or is all just electrical impulses interpreted by the brain. They also mention that sensory input is largely inhibited during dreams, and that $39.95 is a pretty cheap price for this type of information.
samsracecar
I think this is the basis for some famous philosophy, but I'm not sure.

I thought of this on one of my sleepless nights, which are pretty often.

Anyway... Does anything really exist? Or is it all just electric impulses from our nerves that our brain deciphers into sound, taste, hearing, sight, and smell? Can everything be described as these impulses? And while I am here, is it possible to make a machine that can stimulate areas in our brain that receive the senses, and therefore create a virtual world that is indistinguishable from reality?

I hate to quote the Matrix, but it pretty much sums up everything I've been trying to say.
"If this is "real", then "real" is merely electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

I don't want to start a flame war, I am just curious as to what others think.

Physics news on Phys.org
you must have heard of hallucinations...try this video from TED [http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/oliver_sacks_what_hallucination_reveals_about_our_minds.html] whatever the brain "sees" is reality. that's what many meditators experience [ traveling to elsewhere land, visiting dead, or seeing god ] that's very much real for him but need not be for others.

in my view, you its real what your brain projects but people through out the history have claims to train there minds to distinguish between hallucinations and reality and stop getting hallucination once and for all. they call it "enlightenment --looking into things the way they are"
i don know how much that's true.

Every sensation you have is the result of sensory input to the brain, there are clear examples of then this sensory input isn't "real" e.g. dreams, hallucinations and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vision)#Blind_spot_test".

Whether or not thing's are "real" depend on your definition of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality" advocate the argument that one can never be sure if what one see's is "real" therefore the only thing one can be sure of is the existence of one's own mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, what most people see is real, if something is seen/felt only by you its not real.

Woody Allen said:
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
True, but after all, it's only money.

ryan_m_b said:
Every sensation you have is the result of sensory input to the brain, there are clear examples of then this sensory input isn't "real" e.g. dreams, hallucinations...

I don't mean to argue, but isn't sensory input largely inhibited during dreams? In my understanding, the perceptions during dreams are generated within the brain and are hardly influenced by external stimuli.

mishrashubham said:
I don't mean to argue, but isn't sensory input largely inhibited during dreams? In my understanding, the perceptions during dreams are generated within the brain and are hardly influenced by external stimuli.

True, I meant to imply sensory input and perception.

The only directly experienced reality is that which occurs in the conscious mind. However, through various methods (especially the scientific method) we can construct a model of objective reality, that is, a model that makes predictions which other conscious minds can verify.

The choice whether anything exists is real.

samsracecar said:
I hate to quote the Matrix, but it pretty much sums up everything I've been trying to say.
"If this is "real", then "real" is merely electrical signals interpreted by your brain."

I think its a meaningless question. Not just silly mind you, but truly meaningless gibberish along the lines of Louis Carroll's "The Jabberwocky" that merely sounds compelling. I hear these kinds of nonsense questions all the time from people who insist everything is made of "energy" even though energy is defined by mass. Once when asked such a nonsensical question Stephen Hawking responded, "North of north." In this case I'll respond, "Nonexistence exists!"

For only $39.95 I'll send you endless drivel just like this that explains life, the universe, and everything.

wuliheron said:
I think its a meaningless question. Not just silly mind you, but truly meaningless gibberish along the lines of Louis Carroll's "The Jabberwocky" that merely sounds compelling. I hear these kinds of nonsense questions all the time from people who insist everything is made of "energy" even though energy is defined by mass. Once when asked such a nonsensical question Stephen Hawking responded, "North of north." In this case I'll respond, "Nonexistence exists!"

For only $39.95 I'll send you endless drivel just like this that explains life, the universe, and everything.
wuli, you're my new hero.

Also, $39.95 is pretty cheap!

wuliheron said:
I think its a meaningless question. Not just silly mind you, but truly meaningless gibberish ### along the lines of Louis Carroll's "The Jabberwocky" that merely sounds compelling. I hear these kinds of nonsense questions all the time from people who insist everything is made of "energy" even though energy is defined by mass. Once when asked such a nonsensical question Stephen Hawking responded, "North of north." In this case I'll respond, "Nonexistence exists!"
Everything past the ### above is simply rhetoric; it embellishes how strongly you feel, but does not actually make a case for your opinion.

You have not said how you think it's meaningless gibberish. How is 'is anything real' not a valid question, worth some consideration by those inclined?

I'd like to hear you support that.

Last edited:
wuliheron said:

Okay, even though that kinda sounds like flaming, I'll accept it as an idea. Philosophy is a whole bunch of these "nonsense, meaningless, 'north of north' gibberish questions." Get used to it. There's a reason why philosophy and science don't mix.

I already know what explains life, the Universe, and everything. The Answer? 42!

Now all you need is the question...

I'LL sell it to you for $9.95!

DaveC426913 said:
Everything past the ### above is simply rhetoric; it embellishes how strongly you feel, but does not actually make a case for your opinion.

You have not said how you think it's meaningless gibberish. How is 'is anything real' not a valid question, worth some consideration by those inclined?

Seriously? We define what is "real" and our definition

Definition of REAL
1: of or relating to fixed, permanent, or immovable things (as lands or tenements)
2a : not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine <real gold>; also : being precisely what the name implies <a real professional> b (1) : occurring or existing in actuality

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/real

Anything else is not real e.g. imaginary.

Not hard actually. Real is what we define it to be.

samsracecar said:
Anyway... Does anything really exist?

Define your terms. What is "anything," and what does it mean to "exist?" It seems clear to me that something exists, otherwise I wouldn't be thinking anything, seeing anything, or typing anything right now.

Or is it all just electric impulses from our nerves that our brain deciphers into sound, taste, hearing, sight, and smell? Can everything be described as these impulses?

Electric impulses, nerves, and brains are all assumed to exist because they have been observed in reality. Stating that what we perceive doesn't exist negates the whole idea that electrical impulses in our brains exist.

And while I am here, is it possible to make a machine that can stimulate areas in our brain that receive the senses, and therefore create a virtual world that is indistinguishable from reality?

Theoretically. We can already induce flashes of light in the brain with magnetic fields. No reason to think that you couldn't send impulses into the brain to create a virtual world.

samsracecar said:
I think this is the basis for some famous philosophy, but I'm not sure.

I thought of this on one of my sleepless nights, which are pretty often.

Anyway... Does anything really exist? Or is it all just electric impulses from our nerves that our brain deciphers into sound, taste, hearing, sight, and smell? Can everything be described as these impulses? And while I am here, is it possible to make a machine that can stimulate areas in our brain that receive the senses, and therefore create a virtual world that is indistinguishable from reality?

The real question from The Matrix is the same one asked by Rene Descartes. It is not whether anything is real, rather, how do I know my thoughts [perceptions of apparent external stimuli] are my own and not imposed on my mind by an evil genius? Also, Descartes figured that one out in six meditations.

Last edited:
Cool. I knew that I had gotten it from somewhere.

@CJames-These are my definitions.

Anything-Any physical object that can be measured (i.e. weight, mass, height, width, ect.)

Exist-Any physical object that can be observed with the five human senses or aids (i.e. x-ray, ultrasonic imaging, ect.)

samsracecar said:
Cool. I knew that I had gotten it from somewhere.

@CJames-These are my definitions.

Anything-Any physical object that can be measured (i.e. weight, mass, height, width, ect.)

Exist-Any physical object that can be observed with the five human senses or aids (i.e. x-ray, ultrasonic imaging, ect.)
It appears that you've answered your question.

It appears that I have. No more philosophy for me tonight, I'm too sleep-deprived and answering my own questions and overall being rather clueless. I'll try to rest, then come back.

Yes.

samsracecar said:
It appears that I have. No more philosophy for me tonight, I'm too sleep-deprived and answering my own questions and overall being rather clueless. I'll try to rest, then come back.

I think that you proved a pretty good point to yourself, however.

If a thing is not real....It must be complex :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:

Neither of you has defined what "real" or "existence" mean and the context of life, the universe, and everything is so broad and vague that it is impossible to even guess. Hence, I can't even tell if your question is rhetorical or not.

Evo said:
wuli, you're my new hero.

Also, $39.95 is pretty cheap!

You'd be surprised how many people will actually pay for such things. There's one guy I heard of who is an Atheist who makes money selling pet insurance in case the rapture occurs. For a few hundred bucks he'll take care of your pets if Jesus comes back and you go to heaven. He can literally laugh all the way to the bank in his customers faces and they'll keep right on paying for his "service".

samsracecar said:
Okay, even though that kinda sounds like flaming, I'll accept it as an idea. Philosophy is a whole bunch of these "nonsense, meaningless, 'north of north' gibberish questions." Get used to it. There's a reason why philosophy and science don't mix.

I already know what explains life, the Universe, and everything. The Answer? 42!

Now all you need is the question...

I'LL sell it to you for $9.95!

Philosophy isn't all meaningless gibberish and it isn't all incompatible with science. Sometimes you just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

wuliheron said:
Neither of you has defined what "real" or "existence" mean...
Uh, that is the question being asked. Defining them would be part of answering it.

Because a term is not well defined does not make the whole question gibberish. I think you are using a derisive attitude to hide a lack of defensibility of your case.
wuliheron said:
Hence, I can't even tell if your question is rhetorical or not.
It is not.

"Ohh, what's really going to bake your noodle later on is, would you still have broken it if I hadn't said anything?" Matrix Quote thread much?

Anyhow I think what we are "really" looking for here is what is the best definition of the word real. Once we have that and everyone can agree on it we might be closer to an actual agreed upon answer. The problem I think is that people get hung up on words they are simply just tools used to express. It is the expression or more so the thought being expressed from the person that maters not the words. This is one of the reason why machines are not good at understanding language because they do not "feel" the expression for them self so they can not understand it in that way.

DaveC426913 said:
Uh, that is the question being asked. Defining them would be part of answering it.

Because a term is not well defined does not make the whole question gibberish. I think you are using a derisive attitude to hide a lack of defensibility of your case.

It is not.

So according to your logic if I start spouting made up words in the form of a question it doesn't make the question gibberish. Please then, enlighten us all as to what does constitute gibberish. This is what dictionary.com has to say on the subject:

Gibberish
noun
1. meaningless or unintelligible talk or writing.
2. talk or writing containing many obscure, pretentious, or technical words.

wuliheron said:
So according to your logic if I start spouting made up words in the form of a question it doesn't make the question gibberish. Please then, enlighten us all as to what does constitute gibberish. This is what dictionary.com has to say on the subject:

Gibberish
noun
1. meaningless or unintelligible talk or writing.
2. talk or writing containing many obscure, pretentious, or technical words.

This is still a relatively content-free (and argumentative) response. If you feel there's nothing that can be contributed, there's a much more efficient way of making that point: simply contribute nothing (no need to post to say you have nothing to say). Meanwhile, others can grapple with how we might define reality.

There is certainly some latitude about what it means to 'really exist', and I agree that it is a very difficult topic to ponder. But existence and reality are things we face every second, so asking about it cannot be gibberish.

The question at-hand is 'does anything really exist?'

Descartes certainly felt it was worth grappling with. He removed all things he could not be sure exist, all the way back to himself. He was left with the final question: do I exist?

His logic was, simplistically, as follows: I order to doubt whether I exist, there is something doing the doubting. It does not matter what form that thing takes or upon what scaffolding it is constructed (be it atoms, neuronal patterns or even bits), the fact is whatever that thing is that is doing the doubting is what I call 'me'.The intent of his words might more accurately be paraphrased as 'I doubt, there I am'.

DaveC426913 said:
This is still a relatively content-free (and argumentative) response. If you feel there's nothing that can be contributed, there's a much more efficient way of making that point: simply contribute nothing (no need to post to say you have nothing to say). Meanwhile, others can grapple with how we might define reality.

There is certainly some latitude about what it means to 'really exist', and I agree that it is a very difficult topic to ponder. But existence and reality are things we face every second, so asking about it cannot be gibberish.

The question at-hand is 'does anything really exist?'

Descartes certainly felt it was worth grappling with. He removed all things he could not be sure exist, all the way back to himself. He was left with the final question: do I exist?

His logic was, simplistically, as follows: I order to doubt whether I exist, there is something doing the doubting. It does not matter what form that thing takes or upon what scaffolding it is constructed (be it atoms, neuronal patterns or even bits), the fact is whatever that thing is that is doing the doubting is what I call 'me'.

The intent of his words might more accurately be paraphrased as 'I doubt, there I am'.

My assertion is simply that the question is gibberish. Using a 500 year old philosophy in an appeal to authority doesn't exactly prove me wrong. However, if you prefer I'll dig up a few even older accounts from mysticism and religious dogma that suggest the opposite and we can argue about who's is bigger.

wuliheron said:
My assertion is simply that the question is gibberish. Using a 500 year old philosophy in an appeal to authority doesn't exactly prove me wrong.
There is nothing to prove wrong here. You've merely expressed an opinion with no defense.

Opinion: "I believe this. I give no defense, and thus expect no one else to believe it."
"How nice for you."

I really was interested in how it was that you saw no value in the question, because it would help define where the question was lacking, but your responses simply reiterate the same content-free - and increasingly sarcastic - assertion. Without elaboration, I'm afraid your assertion is a dead-end, and it's now distracting from the discussion.

What about triangles (by which I mean the mathematically ideal triangle)? Do they exist?

phoenixthoth said:
What about triangles (by which I mean the mathematically ideal triangle)? Do they exist?
I doubt it. Every geometry book I ever had said "Suppose ABC is a triangle." Would they say that if it really was one?

phoenixthoth said:

Yes, as thoughts in the minds of those who imagine them. When it comes to abstracts, especially those of a mathematical nature, whilst 1 apple + 1 apple = 2 apples is not an intrinsic property of 2 apples the pattern exists in the mind of the observer.

I just drew a triangle. It's very nice, has three sides and all. I think it's scalene. But it definitely exists.

Now the ideal circle, I don't believe that exists in real life. I do believe simple ideal polygons (like the triangle and the quadrangle) exist.