Is Rock-n-Roll Dead? Urban Music Trends & My Reaction

• Music
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Rock 'n' Roll will never die. Despite the fact that sales are down, rock will always remain popular because it is a style of music that can be enjoyed by anyone.
2CentsWorth said:
If someone asks you to turn down the volume, then it probably isn't rock & roll. Seriously, why do people want to share their musical taste with the rest of us as we are driving along? Even if I were to like what they are listening to, don't they know it's noise pollution, and when you're at the park that it is disturbing the peace?
Hahahaha... I have a friend who loves to blast music in his car but not the sort you generally hear people playing. He does Polka, Edith Piaf, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Loui Prima, and since the conservatives were complaining about the french he's taken to doing this with La Marseillaise aswell.

Science news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
Hahahaha... I have a friend who loves to blast music in his car but not the sort you generally hear people playing. He does Polka, Edith Piaf, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Loui Prima, and since the conservatives were complaining about the french he's taken to doing this with La Marseillaise aswell.
Does he have his hopping shocks programmed for 'The Beer Barrel Polka'?

Rock isn't dead but there are a lot more versions of it around now so maybe that makes people think its dead.

Soilwork said:
hahah yeah I can't like Kittie and Arch Enemy and Otep.
While I really like the music of Arch Enemy and think some songs are ok of Otep and Kittie, I am just severely put off.
I can't handle a female singing harsh vocals. It's just not natural :)
I mean if Meshuggah got a female singer that could sing like Jens Kidman then I think that I wouldn't be able to listen to it no matter how good they are.
So I stick with the normal female fronted bands like The Gathering and a whole heap of others.

Imagine what it would sound like if Carol King sang death metal. :eek:

Smurf said:
The whole mosh thing is the only reason I like living in a small town (well, small compared to what I'm used to). When the punk bands come to town, it never get's violent and people rarely get hurt. And it's always loads of fun.

That's more about my speed too.
I've kind of lost my interest in it recently. It would just be weird for a 30 year old guy in the beginning stages of male pattern baldness to be thrashing around with a bunch of teenagers. Nothing against teenagers. I was one once, and it doesn't seem very long ago.

FredGarvin said:
I didn't think I would EVER hear of another person that could reference to Lighthouse. Their two best songs, IMO were "Pretty Lady" and "One Fine Morning". I have both on my computer right now.

What a huge production that group was. They were the precursors to BS&T and Chicago.
I agree with your assessment. They were one of those one hit wonders unfortunately. I bought the Best of Lighthouse on CD.

Another similar song is "Vehicle" by Ides of March - good brass in that one too.

Also another classic is "The Horse" by Cliff Nobles & Co, which is more funk than rock.

Danger said:
Does he have his hopping shocks programmed for 'The Beer Barrel Polka'?
If he had them I'm sure he would. :-)