Is a Career in Physics Right for You? Insights from Real Physicists

• Thread starter Nam/Bass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the person is an 18-year-old high school student seeking advice on whether to pursue science or physics. They ask for suggestions on how to make their decision and inquire about the life, money, social life, working hours, and recreational time of a physicist. The respondent shares that they chose physics for the pay and because they weren't skilled enough in other areas, but their life is enjoyable and they have enough money to cover expenses and have fun. They also have time for a relationship and some hobbies, but not for multiple jobs. They conclude that being a physicist is a fulfilling career that they wouldn't trade for anything.
Nam/Bass
Alright, I had a long post with background information and everything, but then something happened and I lost everything I wrote on the last minute. So I'm just going to do this briefly...

I'm 18, finishing High School, and I need help deciding whether Science -or Physics is right for me.

Is there something I can try or do that'll help me find the answer? Why did you guys choose Physics? How's your life? The money? How's your social life? Working hours? Enough time for recreational activities? Enough time for second jobs/professions? A third? In short, what's it like being a physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nam/Bass said:
Alright, I had a long post with background information and everything, but then something happened and I lost everything I wrote on the last minute. So I'm just going to do this briefly...

I'm 18, finishing High School, and I need help deciding whether Science -or Physics is right for me.

1. Is there something I can try or do that'll help me find the answer? 2. Why did you guys choose Physics? 3. How's your life? 4. The money? 5. How's your social life? 6. Working hours? 7. Enough time for recreational activities? 8. Enough time for second jobs/professions? 8(b) A third? 9. In short, what's it like being a physicist?

1. Try learning about science
2. The glib answer is that it pays more than music and I wasn't good enough at football.
3. My life rocks.
4. I get paid enough to pay rent, bills, food, and save a bit. (I am a grad student, your mileage may vary).
5. My fellow graduate students are quite fun to work with. I have time for a girl friend.
6. 8am until I stop. Usually between 8pm and 11pm.
7. My recreational activities are limited to a bit of guitar per week, watching some football on Sunday, and most of all doing physics!
8. No
8(b). Hell No
9. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1. What skills do I need to have to pursue a career in science?

To succeed in the field of science, you will need to have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a strong foundation in math and science. Other important skills include attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team.

2. Is a degree in science necessary to work in the field?

While a degree in science is not always necessary, it can greatly increase your chances of finding a job in the field. Many scientific careers require at least a bachelor's degree and some may even require a master's or doctoral degree. Additionally, having a degree can help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in a scientific career.

3. What are the job prospects for those pursuing a career in science?

The job prospects for those in the field of science vary based on the specific field and industry. Overall, however, the demand for scientists is expected to continue to grow in the coming years. Some of the fastest-growing fields in science include biotechnology, environmental science, and data science.

4. What are some common misconceptions about working in science?

One common misconception about working in science is that it is a solitary and boring job. In reality, many scientific careers involve working in teams and collaborating with others. Additionally, science is a constantly evolving field, so there is always something new and exciting happening.

5. What are some potential challenges I may face in a career in science?

Some potential challenges you may face in a career in science include long working hours, intense competition for jobs and funding, and the need to constantly stay updated on new developments and technology. Additionally, some scientific research may involve ethical considerations or difficult moral decisions.