Is Short Communication Appropriate for Mathematical Analysis Revisions?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a mistake noticed in a mathematical analysis in a paper and the best way to propose a revised version. The options discussed include submitting an erratum or a "Comment" to the journal, as well as corresponding with the original authors. The preferred option is to first send a brief note to the authors and then possibly submit a "Comment" if the issue is more significant. The location of the "Comment" field may vary depending on the journal.
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So I noticed a mistake in the mathematical analysis in a paper and I want to propose the revised version. What should I do?
I think it doesn't worth a journal since the revision probably only takes a page. Is there other ways of doing such revision? I have heard there is this short communications thing, is this relevant? If it is, how long is typical short communication?

Physics news on Phys.org
blue_leaf77 said:
So I noticed a mistake in the mathematical analysis in a paper and I want to propose the revised version. What should I do?
I think it doesn't worth a journal since the revision probably only takes a page. Is there other ways of doing such revision? I have heard there is this short communications thing, is this relevant? If it is, how long is typical short communication?

If you are correcting your own work, you can submit an erratum to the journal.

If you are correcting somebody else's mistake, you can submit a "Comment." If it is simply a typo, the original author may be allowed to submit an erratum, thanking you for your help, etc.

I believe that the "gentlemanly" thing to do is to first send a brief note to the authors of the original publication, which gives them the chance to fix little problems. I did this to a big wig when I was in graduate school, and was sent a very nice thank you letter from the big wig.

If it is a bigger problem (i.e. the analysis is wrong) the original author may get testy, and if you believe that you are correct, you can try the "Comment" route. Journals will allow the original author to submit a "Reply" to the comment. Sometimes you see a Reply to the Reply, etc.

I would try corresponding with the original author first. You may have made a mistake, and in being corrected you can learn something. Or you can endear yourselves to someone for helping them to remove an embarrassment from the literature.

Different Journals have different rules. You can look at the editorial page of the particular journal to see how to submit a Comment.

I simply disagree with the way they present the mathematical analysis. The reason is that their math analysis leads to a physical result which contradicts the underlying theorem. It seems to me that they didn't notice that discrepancy. I think I should sent e-mail to them first, but by the way where can I find this comment field. I opened the publication link but couldn't find it.

blue_leaf77 said:
I simply disagree with the way they present the mathematical analysis. The reason is that their math analysis leads to a physical result which contradicts the underlying theorem. It seems to me that they didn't notice that discrepancy. I think I should sent e-mail to them first, but by the way where can I find this comment field. I opened the publication link but couldn't find it.

Yes this sounds like a bigger problem. If you write to them first, they may invite you to co-author a paper with corrections (assuming that you are correct).

Usually it is with editorial information. In PRL, it is in the "Authors" section:
http://journals.aps.org/prl/authors/comments-physical-review-letters

Ok thank you very much for the information.

Related to Is Short Communication Appropriate for Mathematical Analysis Revisions?

1. What is short communication?

Short communication is a brief research article that focuses on a specific topic and presents concise findings or observations. It is usually limited to a certain word count and aims to provide a clear and concise summary of a study or experiment.

2. How is short communication different from a regular research paper?

Short communication differs from a regular research paper in terms of length and scope. While a research paper typically includes an in-depth analysis of a topic, a short communication is much shorter and only focuses on a specific aspect of a topic. It also has a more concise and direct writing style.

3. What are the benefits of publishing a short communication?

Publishing a short communication can have several benefits, such as providing a platform to quickly disseminate important findings or observations, increasing the visibility of a study, and allowing for rapid communication and feedback within the scientific community. It can also be a good way to introduce new or emerging ideas.

4. How is the quality of a short communication evaluated?

The quality of a short communication is evaluated based on the significance and originality of the findings or observations, the clarity and coherence of the writing, and the potential impact of the study on the field of research. It is also important for the study to follow ethical guidelines and have a sound methodology.

5. Can a short communication be expanded into a full research paper?

Yes, a short communication can serve as a starting point for further research and can be expanded into a full research paper. However, it is important to ensure that the expanded paper includes new and significant findings, and does not simply repeat the information presented in the short communication.