Is Snell's Law valid even when incident ray is Normal to the surface?

Therefore, the actual Snell's law is n_1sin(i) = n_2sin(r).In summary, the conversation discusses the Snell's law, which states that the refractive index n21 is equal to the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence (i) to the sine of the angle of refraction (r). However, when the incident light is normal to the surface, the equation becomes 0/0. The question is raised on how to define Snell's law in this situation. The actual Snell's law is n_1sin(i) = n_2sin(r), and not n21 = sin(i)/sin(r), as the latter is not valid when sin(r) is
aleemudasir
According to the Snell's Law refractive index n21= sin i/sin r, but when we use this equation while having a incident light normal to the surface of lens or any other refracting surface it becomes 0/0. So how can we define Snell's law in this situation?

Science news on Phys.org
[tex]n_1sin\theta_1 = n_2sin\theta_2[/tex]

This is the actual Snell's law. When you shift the sin over to the other side, you assume it's not 0.

Infinitum said:
[tex]n_1sin\theta_1 = n_2sin\theta_2[/tex]

This is the actual Snell's law. When you shift the sin over to the other side, you assume it's not 0.

Which one is the actual n21=sin i /sin r or n1 sin i= n2 sin r?

As I said above...

[tex]n_1sin(i) = n_2sin(r)[/tex]

The other one is not valid when sin(r) is equal to zero.

Yes, Snell's Law is still valid even when the incident ray is normal to the surface. In this case, the angle of incidence (i) is equal to 0 degrees and the refracted ray will also be normal to the surface, resulting in an angle of refraction (r) of 0 degrees. This means that the ratio of sine of the angles (n21) will also be equal to 0/0, which is undefined. However, this does not invalidate the law because the refractive index (n) is not dependent on the angle of incidence or refraction. It is a constant value for a specific material. Therefore, in this situation, Snell's Law can still be defined as n1sin0 = n2sin0, which simplifies to n1 = n2. This means that the refractive index of the material on both sides of the interface is the same, resulting in no refraction.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave passing through a boundary between two different media. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

2. Is Snell's Law applicable to all types of waves?

Yes, Snell's Law is applicable to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves.

3. Can Snell's Law be applied when the incident ray is normal to the surface?

Yes, Snell's Law is still valid when the incident ray is normal to the surface. In this case, the angle of incidence is 0 degrees, and the angle of refraction is also 0 degrees, resulting in no change in direction of the wave.

4. How is Snell's Law used in practical applications?

Snell's Law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing lenses and mirrors for optical devices, determining the path of light through different materials, and calculating the critical angle for total internal reflection.

5. Are there any limitations to Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a simplified model that assumes the waves are traveling through a homogeneous medium and the interface between the two media is smooth. In reality, there may be variations in the refractive index and surface roughness, which can affect the accuracy of the law. Additionally, Snell's Law does not take into account the polarization of the wave.