Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is space already magnified?

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    Could what we're looking at in space already be magnified, but we just don't realize it? I can take an ordinary camera and zoom out, then zoom in. The image moves and gets larger (the big bang?) or smaller. Just wondering if space is displaying this sort of behavior? I suppose it would take some outside manipulation to do this (as in the person operating the camera).
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2006 #2
    The universe is expanding, but knowbody knows what is causing the expansion. The expanding was deduced as a consequence of the General Theory of Relativity (GTR) and later experimentally confirmed by Edwin Hubble. The expansion is only indirectly derived from GTR but knowbody knows what started it in the first place. Its just like nobody knows what caused the Big bang

Very good topic soft rain
  4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    i didn't understand ur application of big bang in this example...
  5. Sep 1, 2006 #4
    A camera lens "expands" the image into a much larger or much smaller frame of reference. This seems like a most natural thing to be occurring in space as to what we actually are seeing. I don't believe the sizes of the universe that have been estimated. It could actually be very tiny.

Just like when you swim underwater, if you open your eyes under water, you get a magnification effect. Objects are bigger. I've heard new theories of the universe being "fluid". Maybe that is what is happening...
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  6. Sep 2, 2006 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes I imagine myself riding a trajectory in the Lorenz Attractor and wondering . . . what an infinitely unfolding world all about me.:smile:
  7. Sep 2, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "magnified" here?
  8. Sep 3, 2006 #7
    u have a distinct way of thinking. i like it a lot. i'm glad i came across this forum. there r so many people i can be inspired by...:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?