Is space covariant or contravariant?

In summary: However, the meaning is that if you have a basis of vectors that is covariant then the space is covariant and if you have a basis of vectors that is contravariant then the space is contravariant.
RudiTrudi
I often meet the question whether the (physical) space is 'covariant' or 'contravariant'.

I once replied to that question with: Space is space. The COMPONENTS of a tensor are covariant/contravariant if the basis is CHOSEN TO BE contravariant/covariant. As far as I know tensors the 'covariance' or 'contravariance' of space (or tensor) itself is not even the question.

The thing is that the professors were not satisfied with the answer. They said the space is contravariant.

So, I am confused. As far as I know tensors, or better saying tensor components, the 'covariance' or 'contravariance' depends on the choice of basis, i.e. contravariant or covariant basis. In other words, tensor cannot be covariant or contravariant, it can only be represented in covariant or contravariant BASIS and therefore having contravaiant or covariant components.

Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Coordinates are contravariant. I suspect that is all that the professors meant to ask.

the coordinates can be covariant or contravariant if the basis is chosen to be contravariant or covariant. The are also cases when tensor is represented in mixed coordinates, i.e. as a linear combination of base vectors, some from tangent space and some from its dual space. So I don't understand why can an answer 'contravariant' be 'correct'.

Last edited:
I think you should ask the professors. I am really bad at reading your professor's minds.

However, if you look at your explanation you will note that justifying your answer required use of basis dual vectors from the dual space whereas the professor's question was about space. If he was intending to emphasize the distinction then you missed his point.

Last edited:
thanks for the effort. It is obvious that reading someone’s mind is difficult if not impossible. But still, I found the answer on imechanica forum. Prof. Sia Nemat-Nasser clearly confirms my understanding of the topic. Here is the link to the post http://imechanica.org/node/4356. I recommend reading it. And once again thanks for your responses. I appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
But still I am afraid I am missing something. That is why I am asking for some help on physics forum instead of (solely) on mathematical one.

You need to speak to your professor. He obviously wants you to learn something that you have not learned. Looking up websites that you think somehow agree with you may make you feel better but is not going to help you learn a concept you are struggling with.

Keep in mind that, some time ago, the meaning of covariant and contravariant was reversed. I'm not sure if the usage is consistent these days.

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant in space?

Covariant and contravariant are two different mathematical concepts used to describe the transformation of coordinates in space. In simple terms, covariant refers to how coordinates change with respect to a given direction, while contravariant refers to how coordinates change against a given direction.

2. How does the concept of covariance apply to space?

In the context of space, the concept of covariance is used to describe the transformation of coordinates between different reference frames. It allows us to understand how coordinates change when we switch from one frame of reference to another.

3. Is space considered to be covariant or contravariant?

In general, space is considered to be covariant. This means that coordinates in space will change in the same way regardless of the direction we are looking at. However, in some specific cases, such as in general relativity, space can exhibit both covariant and contravariant properties.

4. What is the significance of covariance in physics?

Covariance is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the laws of nature. It allows us to describe the same physical phenomenon from different reference frames and ensures that the laws of physics remain the same in all frames of reference.

5. How can we use the concept of covariance to understand the universe?

By understanding the concept of covariance, we can better understand the behavior of objects in the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies. It helps us to describe the laws of nature in a more comprehensive and consistent way and provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern our universe.