Is space quantized or is it seamless and smooth?

In summary: It has been theorized that the size of these quantized chunks is called the Planck length. It has not been fully tested, but it is thought that it could be tested.
jsirak2
I recently read an article that stated something to the effect that it is thought that space is divided up into quantized little indivisible chunks, the size of which is called the Planck length.
is this a new theory and where can i find more information on it? ANY information
Specifically, how would you test this theory? Can it be tested? WHO can i talk to about it?
I am a simple mountain man who loves science and gets most of his data from magazines and some internet sources, which is where i recently read this article. (still looking for the original article so i can properly quote it here and provide a link). I don't get tv and have limited internet access which is why i am confused. any and all help will be appreciated. personally, i have some thoughts about a quantized space that i need to ask someone who understands more and is a physicist that can explain to a lay-person.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not really a lot of evidence to support it either way, but because of the accuracy of relativity many scientists I think treat it as seamless and smooth.

I think that relativity is not that accurate in the quantum domain. As far as I know (but perhaps those who write so are thoroughly mistaken) the two domains have not been fused yet with a 100% success?

I have heard that theories based on the quantization of space-time have trouble when it comes to the Lorentz-Invariance principle...

Or, perhaps, Lorentz invariance principle has troubles when it comes to the possible granular structure of reality? Which should not be a surprise, because for any theory in physics there was, so far, a certain particular domain where it applied. When you go beyond the domain, the theoretical descriptions should be changed. At least that is what we have learned from the history of science. The dream of TOE is, as for now, just a dream, and not everyone id dreaming the same dream.

arkajad said:
Perhaps you can start with reading this thread: Quantized Space

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64745

Thank you for the information, especially as i try to familiarize myself with the site. I appreciate it.

Sometimes there is more than too much information... kinda like trying to pick which shiny object is the prettiest.

Thanks again.

Space-time is smooth in the currently accepted major theories (GR and QFT). Quantum field theory takes a smooth background space-time on which it operators.

Theories in which the space-time is quantized include theories like loop quantum gravity, or causet theory.

1. Is there evidence for space being quantized or seamless and smooth?

There is currently no definitive evidence for either theory. Some scientists believe that space is quantized based on observations of discrete energy levels in atoms and the behavior of particles at very small scales. Others argue that the smooth and continuous nature of space is better supported by the theory of general relativity.

2. What does it mean for space to be quantized?

If space is quantized, it means that it is composed of discrete and indivisible units, similar to how matter is made up of atoms. These units would have a minimum size and cannot be divided any further.

3. How does the concept of space being quantized relate to the concept of the "fabric" of space?

The idea of space being quantized is often compared to a fabric or grid-like structure. Just as a fabric is made up of individual threads, space would be made up of individual units. The concept of a fabric of space helps to visualize the idea of space being made up of discrete units.

4. Are there any experiments or observations that can help determine if space is quantized or seamless?

Currently, there are no experiments or observations that can definitively prove or disprove the theory of space being quantized. Scientists are still actively researching and looking for ways to test this concept.

5. What are the implications of space being quantized or seamless for our understanding of the universe?

If space is quantized, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe, including the behavior of particles at very small scales and the nature of gravity. However, if space is seamless and smooth, it would not necessarily change our current understanding of the universe based on the principles of general relativity.