Is Stacking RAW Images the Key to High-Quality Astrophotography?

In summary, a globular cluster in Hercules is a dense grouping of stars located in the constellation of Hercules. They typically contain tens of thousands to millions of stars and are among the oldest objects in the universe, with ages ranging from 10 to 13 billion years old. They are located around 25,000 light years away from Earth and can be seen with the naked eye under certain conditions, but are best viewed with a telescope or binoculars.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Virgo has moved on, Hercules is now in position- from last night:

43m.TIF%20RGB_zpsufchx1d5.jpg

This is a downsized crop. Technical deets: 800/5.6, 10s ISO 2000, 204 frames.

Likes Drakkith
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very nice for ISO 2000. Shots at that speed are usually rather grainy.What mount you using?

Thanks! My lens mount is a Losmandy GM-8. I've found that stacking RAW images (as opposed to JPGs) let's me use higher ISO settings.

Andy Resnick said:
I've found that stacking RAW images (as opposed to JPGs) let's me use higher ISO settings.

yes it does and you end up with a much better quality image :smile:D

Related to Is Stacking RAW Images the Key to High-Quality Astrophotography?

1. What is a globular cluster in Hercules?

A globular cluster in Hercules is a dense grouping of stars located in the constellation of Hercules. It is a spherical collection of stars that are tightly bound together by gravity.

2. How many stars are typically found in a globular cluster in Hercules?

There are typically tens of thousands to millions of stars found in a globular cluster in Hercules. The exact number varies depending on the specific cluster.

3. How old are globular clusters in Hercules?

Globular clusters in Hercules are among the oldest objects in the universe, with ages ranging from 10 to 13 billion years old. They are believed to have formed shortly after the Big Bang.

4. How far away is a typical globular cluster in Hercules?

A typical globular cluster in Hercules is located around 25,000 light years away from Earth. This means that the light we see from the cluster today has been traveling for 25,000 years to reach us.

5. Can globular clusters in Hercules be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, some globular clusters in Hercules can be seen with the naked eye under dark and clear skies. However, most are best viewed with a telescope or binoculars.