Is Strong Atheism Logical?

Well put, Evo.

The biggest problem for me in religion is that there is no need for it to exist. Religion is a guideline to life, but irrelevant to existance. Religion assumes that everything revolves around our being, whereas we know through science that we are pretty insignificant.

Sure, I think it's logical to believe in god. It's just that you cant go anywhere from there. Just because there is a god, it does not follow that god likes green shoes and dislikes over-cooked pasta.

It could be said that belief in god(s) is the scaffolding necessary to begin seeing reality as a single thing that can be explained, regardless if that explaination is at first flawed.

I think there is a need for it to exist because of that fact that it does exist. :P
The truth is some people couldn't care less, others want to know more any spend alot of their time trying to seek meaning and better understanding whether through religion, science or some other way. Some rather just believe and get on with "normal" life and not let such questions or lack of questions bug them because they know enough to move on.

I spend alot of time trying to figure it out myself. "It" meaning God and that kind of poop.

Ya it really hurts when ur beliefs r questioned. But all i wanted to say was whatever that seperates a theist and an atheist is thinner than what seperates a theist and an agnostic. Sure u can go on arguing on this without end. But if science cant answer to the existance of god, why not try religion? Religion is supposed to be a search of finding god. Maybe science works well in proving things that fit into the sphere of reasoning. What if god cant be found by reason...maybe its something u end up realising after the quest. Maybe at that point it looks above reason. Maybe there is a sphere of inspiration after instinct and reason. This does not ask u to shun science.
All men mohammed/ jesus/ buddha have expressed the realisation of god. Once somebody asked to Ramakrishana if he had seen god....and his reply was that he saw him more magnified than anything around. All these people were not completely irrational or superstitious. But unlike some of us here who sit around and talk their time out, they actually practiced some religon or all religions to see if god can be realised. If u dream of becoming a chemist and pray all night to become so...u'll end up nowhere...sure u have to go get ur hands burned in the lab. I guess u'd have to do the same about realising god. Talking volumes wont help. Either sit there and say to urself and make believe that there's no god or go find out.

Icebreaker
pattarkutty said:
If u dream of becoming a chemist and pray all night to become so...u'll end up nowhere...sure u have to go get ur hands burned in the lab. I guess u'd have to do the same about realising god. Talking volumes wont help. Either sit there and say to urself and make believe that there's no god or go find out.
You just contradicted yourself. Like you said, praying doesn't get you anywhere, not even near god(s). If you want to be a chemist, then you have to study chemistry, discuss the reasons behind everything, and see for yourself experimentally; you can't simply sit there and pray to become a chemist. However, you cannot apply what you did above in the search for god; all you have left is that prayer, and that leads to nowhere.

I always figured that religion took god for granted and created stories around that, and that it is science that is doing the actual 'searching' (whether it thinks so or not).

Icebreaker said:
You just contradicted yourself. Like you said, praying doesn't get you anywhere, not even near god(s). If you want to be a chemist, then you have to study chemistry, discuss the reasons behind everything, and see for yourself experimentally; you can't simply sit there and pray to become a chemist. However, you cannot apply what you did above in the search for god; all you have left is that prayer, and that leads to nowhere.
just what makes u think that its all prayer thats left in the search of god. Do u know that there r scriptures in some of these religions that says "do this and this (physically) and u will realise god. And moreover it will depend on ur obsession with the idea. its good to be born in church not to die in one. Religion over centuries has passed the stages of prayers, heaven and hell concepts. its always for u to choose the right kind of religion that will take u to realisation faster. i never said that prayer will take u to god.

Icebreaker
NOTHING will take you to god except your death. There's no difference between "do this and this" and "prayer".

If I pray (real hard) for two dice to both role on three, in one throw, will this increase my odds, even if I know they are only 1 in 36?

Icebreaker said:
NOTHING will take you to god except your death. There's no difference between "do this and this" and "prayer".
if there is no difference between do this and this and prayer, stop doing science and start praying....give me a break.