1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Is studying too much bad?

1. Jul 17, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

I've found that in the past month or so I've been studying math a lot (more that 8 hours a day). I really like it but am I studying to much? Should I be "playing outside" and enjoying the world (other that math) while I can? Or just do what I enjoy the most? For some reason this thought hit me a few days ago and it's made my motivation go down a little.
    Any thought/advice?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2
    Do what you enjoy most. If it's studying 8 hours a day, then by all means, do it.

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3
    Do whatever you're comfortable with, if you can do 8 hours and not feel burnt out or have any negative impact then do it. I have done long study periods sometimes as long as 12 hours, but I generally mix it up with recreation too, so I don't get too burnt out, and I find you can only do so much before you stop absorbing information effectively, but everyone's different, whatever works, works. You'll work out what's best for you by trial and error I'm sure.

5. Jul 17, 2007 #4
    this is a philosophical question (is the vitality of youth valuable?) whose answer is unique to you.

6. Jul 17, 2007 #5
    Not to the point where you will isolate yourself socially. There are more important things in life too, like friends and family and having fun while you're still young.

7. Jul 17, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

make sure you get some exercise. even if your main goal is studying, it helps to be physically healthy and strong, or you cannot even study as much.

remember you have an intellectual self, an emotional self, a spiritual self, and a physical self, and all need to be in harmony, as the mystics put it.

but the old formula says 8 hours of study, 8 hours of sleep, still leaves 8 hours for food, errands, and play.

8. Jul 17, 2007 #7
    you're forgetting about actual class

9. Jul 17, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8 hours is pushing it, in my opinion. During the summer, sure if you don't work. During school, you won't even have time to have a social life. You might not think it's a big deal, but when you may seek a social life it might hit you really hard on how you don't have one and neither do you possess the social skills to get one. What happens after that? My vote is on severe depression.

10. Jul 17, 2007 #9
    yea its odd but true that socializing takes practice just like everything else

11. Jul 17, 2007 #10

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, it really does. Of course, I sound harsh about it, but I'm saying what the reality is going to be if you choose to ignore it like some students.

You need a balance like mathwonk said.

12. Jul 17, 2007 #11

mjsd

Homework Helper

try as you might, but eventually you will be burnt out and shall "play outside" anyway. Doing something for too long will cause you to lose interest. especially when you have been stuck on a problem for a few days, and getting frustrated, starting to lose interest, that would be a sign to really take a break.
    remember there are always more things to study than there is time available, so like it or not, you shall let your brain to recharge at some point.

13. Jul 17, 2007 #12

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

when i was an undergrd at harvard it was suggeated we spend 8 Hours on class + study, and so on.... but i think it took more study than that. but this was considered normal, not excessive.

14. Jul 17, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you spend 8 hours a day studying and going to class, that's pretty normal. That's like having an 8 hour work day.

15. Jul 17, 2007 #14

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

yes, but we thought it optimistic. top students went to the library when it opened and left when it closed.

16. Jul 17, 2007 #15

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

let me remind of one thing: as students we often take pride in how smart we think we are, but in college and professional life, success is measured by how much we work.

17. Jul 17, 2007 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But remember, that's not true. I have to disagree. That's if you measure success in life as something like how much money you make and how high your grades are and if you're the best student or not.

Remember the famous quote...

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln

A life working all day isn't much of a life filled with success at all.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  18. Jul 18, 2007 #17
    The thing is if you talk about things like 'life' as in your quote it can't be well defined and measured. Life for one person might mean being at the beach whereas life for another might be doing problems. Both type willl say the other has wasted their life.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  19. Jul 18, 2007 #18
    This is something that it took me till my third year of college to realize. I had like a 4.0 for the first two years however I was killing myself and not enjoying things. I was miserable. I do attend college 5 hours from my home but lately Ive been trying to get home every 2 or 3 weeks for a couple of days and trying to be sure to play some games with my college buddies.

20. Jul 18, 2007 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly, same here. I had the same experience.

Once you hit a balance, you're literally on top of the world.

21. Jul 18, 2007 #20
    I would recommend that you take probably 30 minute breaks and do whatever you want, so that you don't get burnt out. If you do get burnt out, those next few hours are going to be worthless, since your body is going to be too tired to focus on studies and you'll find yourself most likely going to sleep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?