Is technology moving to fast for morals to keep up?

• Thread starter emms_dna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary: It's a good question but i don't really know where to start with it! any help would be really Appreciated :smile:
emms_dna
hi,

im doing an essay for a Questioning tecnolgy course.
the question is "Is technology moving to fast for morals to keep up?".

it a good question but i don't really know where to start with it!

any help would be really Appreciated :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Welcom to PF!

This question is most often asked in the context of cloning these days, but it also applies to medicine (Merck and Vioxx), genetically modified food, pollution, cosmology (the pope vs Stephen Hawking), nuclear weapons, etc. You may want to start by focusing in on a specific area to investigate (since everyone else is probably going to pick cloning, picking something else may set your paper apart and help your grade).

In general though, the question is usually phrased something like it was in Jurrasic Park (paraphrased): Scientists spend all their time seeing if they can do something, and they never stop and think if they should.

emms_dna said:
hi,

im doing an essay for a Questioning tecnolgy course.
the question is "Is technology moving to fast for morals to keep up?".

it a good question but i don't really know where to start with it!

any help would be really Appreciated :smile:

You will attract and gain more grades if you demonstrate, with substantial degree of subtlety, that 'MORALITY IS AREADY WRITTEN INTO TECHNOLOGY', especially the right kind of technology for that matter. The right kind of technology is the type that contributes in one way or the other not only to the human progress (both in structure and in function) but also to the subsequent and final survival of the human race as a whole. Think, for example, of the type of technology that will create immortality. I am talking about immortality of the human form, whatever form we may finally end up with.

You should then conclude in your essay that, if we were to ever tumble onto such a technology, it would be by far the most significant and MORALLY SUPERIOR act on this planet. And logic as we all currently know it would have earned its keeps!

Last edited:
Simple answer:
Give some possible answers to your own questions(try using paper and pencil- it helps focus the mind like words do but differently) and then open your mind a bit and more questions tend to follow, always leading to greater confusion, if you like that sort of thing.

Convoluted and extraneous reasons why I think that:
I would recommend this as a good place to start in any pursuit of "The Truth!" because if one gets use to formulating answers to their own questions they should naturally find the process of understanding by their own ability to reason stimulating because one is taking control of something possible something that could or does harm them or by knowing leads them to good things, in a way it is our own ignorance that is the real enemy so it's an animal response such that I'm sure everyone has felt it once in awhile when you get a really good idea or insight about something the hairs on your arms stand on end and that's a minor flight or fight response which suggests that ignorance can be learned to be perceived as a psychological enemy so much so that it gives a physical response.
The other thing is when you ask your own questions and get your own answers you'll be more curious about things because you choose them willingly, anything people do willingly is much more likely to become pleasurable to them. In time a person may develope so much pleasure in asking questions or being curious that they may get into a lot of trouble with authorities in which their system is dependent on people not knowing the truth but keeping up the appearance they do... or they just go bonkers and reach The Ultimate Level Of Confusion!.

"Is technology moving to fast for morals to keep up?"
I would define morals, ethics or principles 1st , establish a frame of reference, I always thought principles are fixed guidelines. But then again what the hell do I know… :confused: :rolleyes:

1. Is technology advancing too quickly for our moral understanding?

This is a common concern among individuals as technology continues to evolve at a rapid pace. While it may seem like technology is moving faster than our ability to understand and regulate it, it is important to note that morals are constantly evolving as well. As we encounter new technologies, we are forced to confront ethical questions and adapt our moral compass accordingly.

2. Can moral values keep up with technological advancements?

Moral values are not set in stone and are constantly influenced by societal changes, including advancements in technology. As we become more aware of the potential ethical implications of new technologies, we are better equipped to shape our moral values to align with these developments.

3. How can we ensure that technology is used ethically?

One way to ensure ethical use of technology is by promoting discussions and debates about the potential moral implications of new technologies. This can help raise awareness and lead to the creation of regulations and guidelines for responsible use. Additionally, it is important for ethical principles to be integrated into the design and development of new technologies.

4. Are there any dangers in technology evolving faster than our moral understanding?

There can be dangers in the rapid advancement of technology if it is not accompanied by a thorough understanding of its potential ethical implications. This can lead to misuse or abuse of technology, causing harm to individuals or society as a whole. Therefore, it is crucial for our moral understanding to keep up with technological advancements to ensure responsible use.

5. How can we bridge the gap between technology and moral understanding?

One way to bridge the gap is through education and awareness. By educating individuals about the potential ethical implications of new technologies, we can encourage critical thinking and responsible decision-making. It is also important for ethical principles to be integrated into the development and implementation of new technologies.