Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is the Acousto-Optic Effect correlated to wavelength/colour?

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    Would the Acousto-Optic effect be different for different colours of light or rainbow? Or it would treat all wavelengths of light in a white beam the same? Would one colour witness a greater acousto-optic effect than the other? Please explain. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what research have you done on this so far ?, considering this post is closely tied to your previous one
    in which is was reasonably well established that significant energy was required to cause any measurable effect

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    This question is speaking purely of the Acousto optic effect in lasers and solids. Not liquids.

I see most research deals with the light as a whole and not the subsequent frequency components (separate colors) of light.

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Would you mind linking to a few of your sources so we can look at them? I doubt many people are familiar with this topic and it would help if we were able to see some of this information for ourselves. Just looking at the wikipedia article, I'd think that dispersion would play a factor since the index of refraction changes with strain, but I know next to nothing about the topic or about how the devices are set up.

6. Mar 16, 2017 #5
    I mainly get text from research repositories related to university, that's why it may not be accessible if I link to papers in journals like I previously did. There are general papers available on google though. I will try to gather some links and post them. They are mainly around Crystals and Light/Sound Acoustic-Optic Effect, Seeing Sound with light and also, looking into carrying sound signal with light, using their interaction.

7. Mar 16, 2017 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If the material is dispersive, there is definitely a wavelength-dependence on the effect, both from the strain-optic tensor and from the Bragg angle. Salen and Teich's "Fundamentals of Photonics" has a very readable chapter on acousto-optics, Korpel's "Acousto-Optics" is much more complete (and advanced).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted