Is the blood supply distinctive or collateral per organ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of collateral blood supply to organs and whether there are specific arteries dedicated to supplying each organ. The source cited provides a definition of collateral blood supply as alternate secondary arteries connected to the primary artery for the organ. The question is raised about whether completely blocking the primary artery would also block blood supply to the organ or if there are other arteries that can supply it. The conversation also touches on variations in vasculature between individuals.
cyentist
Hello!

Is the blood supply to an organ done exclusively by one (or more) distinct arteries or there is extensive collateral supply from different arteries?

For example, is lungs' circulation only from bronchial and pulmonary arteries/veins or there is collateral blood circulation as well from other arteries?

Any examples?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
This: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/17063-coronary-arteries
appears to have a somewhat different definition for 'collateral' blood supply. Good diagram and explanation.
Definition: alternate secondary non-used arteries connected to the primary artery for the organ (in this case see heart diagram).

What is your source (citation please) for the definition you used? Maybe we can reconcile.

Mmm, that's not exactly what I mean.

Let's say you want to completely block blood supply to prostate.
If you block completely the prostate artery, do you achieve that? Or blood from different arteries will supply the organ?

Or the same with a specific bone or with lungs or with bowel.

In other words, do we know which arteries supply which organ/area and are these specific arteries or there is never one or more distinct arteries who supply one organ or region?

I don't mean small vessels that may be inactive normally and activate under stress, because these branches come from the same arteries that supply the organ. I am talking about different arteries from the arteries that are supposed to supply the organ.

Also, I am not talking about the variations in vasculature. I know that not all vasculature is the same to every person, but would we still have one or more specific arteries supplying a specific organ or region?

Thanks

1. What is the difference between distinctive and collateral blood supply?

Distinctive blood supply refers to the specific blood vessels that supply a particular organ or tissue, while collateral blood supply refers to the alternative blood vessels that can provide blood flow to an organ or tissue if the main vessels are blocked or damaged.

2. How does the body ensure adequate blood supply to all organs?

The body has a complex network of blood vessels that work together to ensure adequate blood supply to all organs. This includes both distinctive and collateral blood vessels, as well as mechanisms such as vasoconstriction and vasodilation to regulate blood flow to different areas of the body.

3. What factors determine if an organ has a distinctive or collateral blood supply?

The blood supply to an organ is determined by its size, function, and location in the body. Organs that are larger or have high metabolic demands often have a more complex and distinctive blood supply, while smaller organs may rely more on collateral vessels.

4. Can the blood supply to an organ change over time?

Yes, the blood supply to an organ can change over time due to various factors such as aging, disease, or injury. In some cases, new blood vessels may form to compensate for a decrease in blood flow, while in other cases, existing blood vessels may become damaged or blocked, leading to changes in the collateral blood supply.

5. How does understanding the blood supply to different organs help in medical treatments?

Understanding the blood supply to different organs is crucial in medical treatments as it allows healthcare professionals to anticipate potential complications and tailor treatments accordingly. For example, knowledge of collateral blood supply can help in planning surgeries or interventions to minimize the risk of damage to other organs.