Is the cable inside a socket outlet / power strip attached firmly?

In summary: The quality of such devices vary widely from very good to very bad. I once examined an extension cord purchased in the dollar store. I was shocked (figuratively) by what I found. I'll never buy stuff like that in the dollar store again.Yes. :wink:Does it have internal transient protection? If so, depending on how the components are mounted, they could have broken off or otherwise been compromised. Since you probably are not plugging a computer into this power strip that keeps falling from significant height, that may not matter.
kenny1999
I have a power strip that has fallen from height accidentally for a couple of times, there is no observable crack or damage, however, could this lead to bad contacts or anything bad to the
electrical/electronic appliance? I'm thinking if the power cable inside is usually well attached

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's probably fine but there's really no way to tell without opening it up or using it.

Drakkith said:
It's probably fine but there's really no way to tell without opening it up or using it.
I'd like to know, if wires and connections inside electric socket of power strip are tough or fragile by design?

kenny1999 said:
I'd like to know, if wires and connections inside electric socket of power strip are tough or fragile by design?
The quality of such devices vary widely from very good to very bad. I once examined an extension cord purchased in the dollar store. I was shocked (figuratively) by what I found. I'll never buy stuff like that in the dollar store again.

Agree with anorlunda. There was a flap a few years ago about cheap power cords (or was it extension cords) shipped from China that were spontaneously shorting and bursting into flames.

kenny1999 said:
Yes. :wink:

Likes DaveC426913
Does it have internal transient protection? If so, depending on how the components are mounted, they could have broken off or otherwise been compromised. Since you probably are not plugging a computer into this power strip that keeps falling from significant height, that may not matter.

kenny1999 said:
That depends, as others have said. I myself would open it up for a good inspection, but I'm an EE with a fair amount of AC mains experience. What is your background in electronics and AC Mains safety stuff? If no background, I'd just buy a new one and fix the setup where it keeps falling... :wink:

• Love
Likes Tom.G
anorlunda said:
The quality of such devices vary widely from very good to very bad. I once examined an extension cord purchased in the dollar store. I was shocked (figuratively) by what I found. I'll never buy stuff like that in the dollar store again.
How bad was it? Overheated?

berkeman said:
Does it have internal transient protection? If so, depending on how the components are mounted, they could have broken off or otherwise been compromised. Since you probably are not plugging a computer into this power strip that keeps falling from significant height, that may not matter.That depends, as others have said. I myself would open it up for a good inspection, but I'm an EE with a fair amount of AC mains experience. What is your background in electronics and AC Mains safety stuff? If no background, I'd just buy a new one and fix the setup where it keeps falling... :wink:
I don't think it is a cheap one, but not a decent one though. It fell off from the desk by accident when it was connected to anything. I think this kind of things are not too fragile, but wish to know if it would cause problems to the appliance if used to power them. This is a trade-off between cost and risk so I am asking this question to help making estimate

kenny1999 said:
How bad was it? Overheated?
I cut open the lamp cord wire. I found an inner "tube" in the insulation. The tube was filled with loose strands of wire, each about 1 cm long, not braided or twisted or systematically placed --- just random. It looked to me like copper sweepings from a factory floor.

I could not begin to think how to calculate the standard deviation of the ampacity of that cord.

Likes kenny1999

1. Is it safe to use a socket outlet or power strip if the cable is not firmly attached?

No, it is not safe to use a socket outlet or power strip if the cable is not firmly attached. A loose or damaged cable can cause electrical sparks or shocks, which can be a fire hazard and also pose a danger to anyone using the outlet or power strip.

2. How can I tell if the cable is firmly attached to the socket outlet or power strip?

You can check if the cable is firmly attached by gently tugging on the cable where it enters the outlet or power strip. If the cable moves easily, it may not be securely attached and should be replaced. You can also visually inspect the cable for any damage or fraying.

3. What should I do if the cable is not firmly attached to the socket outlet or power strip?

If the cable is not firmly attached, you should stop using the outlet or power strip immediately and have it repaired or replaced. It is important to address any loose or damaged cables to prevent potential hazards.

4. Can I fix a loose cable myself?

No, it is not recommended to fix a loose cable yourself. It is best to have a professional electrician repair or replace the outlet or power strip to ensure it is done safely and correctly.

5. How often should I check the cables on my socket outlets and power strips?

It is recommended to check the cables on your socket outlets and power strips at least once a year. However, if you notice any damage or issues with the cables, you should have them checked immediately. Regular maintenance and inspection can help prevent potential hazards and ensure the safety of your electrical outlets.