Is the coil in a car's ignition system functioning as a transformer?

In summary, a transformer in a car works by using coiled copper wire to increase the voltage and give the spark plugs a hotter spark. This does not result in an increase of electrons per second, but rather keeps the energy constant while increasing the voltage. Different types of transformers can be made, and the concept of energy conservation applies.
like in a car when electrons flow through the battery to the coil , the coil is like a transformer using coiled copper wire to up the voltage to give the spark plugs a hotter spark. I am not sure where this energy is coming from , so are we actually getting more electrons to flow per second and after it goes through the coil . does the coil allow it to draw more current from the battery.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, all that matters is that total energy is conserved so energy per secons is :

P=U*I so P is a constant in a transformer ( at least consider it so)

If so then IF p=5W there are an infinity of possibilities for U and I. Like U=5 I =1 or I=5 U=1 etc.

That is what happens in a transformer, energy is the same it is just expressed differently.

For different ways transformers can be made consult wikipedia.

I"ve made the exemple in direct current for easy understanding :P

cragar said:
I am not sure where this energy is coming from , so are we actually getting more electrons to flow per second and after it goes through the coil . does the coil allow it to draw more current from the battery.
You have the wrong idea about what a transformer does: A transformer keeps the energy constant while increasing the voltage, which means fewer electrons per second going through the secondary side than the primary side.

i see thanks for your answers

Yes, the coil in a car's ignition system is functioning as a transformer. The coil uses the principle of electromagnetic induction to increase the voltage from the battery and deliver a stronger spark to the spark plugs. This is achieved by coiling the copper wire, which creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. This magnetic field then induces a higher voltage in the secondary coil, which is connected to the spark plugs. This increase in voltage allows for a hotter spark, which ignites the fuel mixture in the engine. The energy for this process comes from the chemical energy stored in the battery. The coil does not necessarily draw more current from the battery, but rather it transforms the voltage to a higher level. This is a crucial component in the operation of a car's ignition system and allows for efficient combustion in the engine.

What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer energy from one electrical circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It is commonly used to step up or step down voltage levels in power transmission and distribution systems.

How does a transformer work?

A transformer consists of two or more coils of wire that are wrapped around a common core. When an alternating current (AC) is passed through one of the coils, it creates a magnetic field which then induces an alternating current in the other coil. This process allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to another.

What is the difference between a step-up and step-down transformer?

A step-up transformer increases the voltage level of the input AC, while a step-down transformer decreases the voltage level. This is achieved by having a different number of turns in each coil, which determines the ratio of input to output voltage.

What is the purpose of a transformer in a power system?

The main purpose of a transformer in a power system is to efficiently transfer electrical energy from power plants to end-users. It allows for the transmission of electricity at high voltages, which reduces energy losses and increases the efficiency of the system.

What is the relationship between a transformer and current?

A transformer does not change the amount of current in a circuit, but it does change the voltage level. According to Ohm's law, voltage is directly proportional to current, so when the voltage is stepped up or down by the transformer, the current will change accordingly.

Suggested for: Is the coil in a car's ignition system functioning as a transformer?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views