Is the energy of this system conserved?

In summary, the energy of a system is conserved if there are no external forces acting on the system, meaning that the total amount of energy remains constant over time. This principle is known as the law of conservation of energy and is a fundamental concept in physics. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, if a system is isolated and there are no external factors influencing it, the total energy of the system will remain the same. However, if there are external forces or factors present, then the energy of the system may change.
rtareen
TL;DR Summary
A gas is contained in an insulated cylinder with a movable piston onto of which is a lead shot with mass. The thermal reservoir at the bottom allows for heat the be transferred to the gas.
WorkHeat.jpg
In this system (consisting of just the gas) heat is transferred to the gas by means of a reservoir. So this means energy is added to the system. Does this necessarily mean that the work done on the lead shot due to an increased pressure will equal the heat that enters the gas? We are assuming everything is ideal. The book does not really say what would happen. How can we know? What dictates how much work the gas will do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is safe to ask what would happen if, starting from equilibrium, you add (or remove) a piece of lead shot and wait until the system reaches equilibrium again. That will be an isothermal compression (or expansion). You can calculate the final pressure from the added weight, then use the ideal gas law to find the final volume and do the integral to find the work done by the gas.

rtareen said:
In this system (consisting of just the gas) heat is transferred to the gas by means of a reservoir. So this means energy is added to the system. Does this necessarily mean that the work done on the lead shot due to an increased pressure will equal the heat that enters the gas? We are assuming everything is ideal. The book does not really say what would happen. How can we know? What dictates how much work the gas will do?
Be organized and specific about what is changing and what isn't and think it through:
  • It is being heated, so is the temperature of the gas changing?
  • It is a sealed piston, so is the mass of gas changing?
  • The piston moves, so is the volume of gas changing?
  • The weight of the bucket of shot isn't changing, so are you sure the pressure is increasing?
An answer of "yes" is a change in energy and a "place" where energy is going. You didn't actually develop a clear-cut problem here, so I'm going to assume the unknown you are trying to solve for is how far the cylinder moves, given a fully defined starting state and a given amount of heat addition. Along the way, you account for where the energy goes.

What kind of book did that come from and what is the context behind this? It feels like it should be part of a chapter in a thermodynamics book, on constant pressure heat addition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_process

Likes etotheipi and jbriggs444
kuruman said:
I think it is safe to ask what would happen if, starting from equilibrium, you add (or remove) a piece of lead shot and wait until the system reaches equilibrium again. That will be an isothermal compression (or expansion). You can calculate the final pressure from the added weight, then use the ideal gas law to find the final volume and do the integral to find the work done by the gas.
I don't think that matches the problem the OP is trying to solve, nor do I think it is true that that process would be isothermal given that the piston is insulated.

russ_watters said:
I don't think that matches the problem the OP is trying to solve, nor do I think it is true that that process would be isothermal given that the piston is insulated.
The piston is insulated but in thermal contact with the heat reservoir. As shown in the figure, heat may be exchanged with the reservoir. I would agree, though, that an isothermal process is not necesarily what OP is trying to solve. OP asserts that "heat is transferred to the gas by means of a reservoir". However, there is no mention whether the heat transfer is taking place isothermally, isobarically or in some other manner. I like the isothermal process because it has the simple feature that whatever heat is added to the gas is equal to the work done by the gas on the piston.

Likes etotheipi
kuruman said:
The piston is insulated but in thermal contact with the heat reservoir. As shown in the figure, heat may be exchanged with the reservoir. I would agree, though, that an isothermal process is not necesarily what OP is trying to solve. OP asserts that "heat is transferred to the gas by means of a reservoir". However, there is no mention whether the heat transfer is taking place isothermally, isobarically or in some other manner. I like the isothermal process because it has the simple feature that whatever heat is added to the gas is equal to the work done by the gas on the piston.
russ_watters said:
Be organized and specific about what is changing and what isn't and think it through:
  • It is being heated, so is the temperature of the gas changing?
  • It is a sealed piston, so is the mass of gas changing?
  • The piston moves, so is the volume of gas changing?
  • The weight of the bucket of shot isn't changing, so are you sure the pressure is increasing?
An answer of "yes" is a change in energy and a "place" where energy is going. You didn't actually develop a clear-cut problem here, so I'm going to assume the unknown you are trying to solve for is how far the cylinder moves, given a fully defined starting state and a given amount of heat addition. Along the way, you account for where the energy goes.

What kind of book did that come from and what is the context behind this? It feels like it should be part of a chapter in a thermodynamics book, on constant pressure heat addition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_process

This is from Halliday and Resnick. I am self-studying Chapter `18. This section introduces the first law of thermodynamics. I haven't yet gotten to the point of isobaric or isothermal transfer. I don't know what those are.

Yes, the reservoir is adding heat to the gas.
The piston can move up and down, so the volume of the gas can change.
I am assuming the pressure increases because if work is done on the lead there needs to be a net force upward.

This example is supposed to give us the relationship between heat and work. But does not explicitly say what that relationship is. All it says is that heat can be added to the gas. And that the gas can do work on the lead if some of the mass is removed. But I want to know whether or not the gas will do an amount of work equal to the amount of heat added in the case there is no change to the mass of the lead, which is not explained by the book.

kuruman said:
However, there is no mention whether the heat transfer is taking place isothermally, isobarically or in some other manner. I like the isothermal process because it has the simple feature that whatever heat is added to the gas is equal to the work done by the gas on the piston.
I do not see how it can be isothermal in the OP's scenario.

For slow changes (negligible acceleration), the pressure in the cylinder is constant due to the piston with the lead shot. So, by inspection we have an isobaric expansion.

If we are pumping in heat and keeping pressure constant, volume will increase and temperature must rise.

Edit:

The OP asks:
rtareen said:
Does this necessarily mean that the work done on the lead shot due to an increased pressure will equal the heat that enters the gas?
[emphasis mine]
How can there be an increased pressure if we are talking about an isobaric expansion?!

My answer is that we are talking about a slowly changing equilibrium. It is "quasi-static". At some point early in the process there is a tiny increase in pressure. Just enough to get the piston moving. Then pressure can return to the baseline. The piston moves slowly and steadily upward as the expanding gasses do work and the temperature knob is slowly turned up. Then when we stop turning the knob, there is a tiny decrease in pressure as the piston coasts to a stop.

[And we ignore any possible oscillations as things settle down to the final state]

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
I do not see how it can be isothermal in the OP's scenario.

For slow changes (negligible acceleration), the pressure in the cylinder is constant due to the piston with the lead shot. So, by inspection we have an isobaric expansion.

If we are pumping in heat and keeping pressure constant, volume will increase and temperature must rise.

Great! So what does this mean in terms of energy? Does the gas keep the added energy or will it exit the gas by doing work on the lead mass?

rtareen said:
Great! So what does this mean in terms of energy? Does the gas keep the added energy or will it exit the gas by doing work on the lead mass?
I've edited some additional verbiage into the prior post which may be useful.

To directly answer the question: Why can't it be a little of both?

jbriggs444 said:
I've edited some additional verbiage into the prior post which may be useful.

To directly answer the question: Why can't it be a little of both?

You say that the gas will do work as the knob turn up. The pressure increases, and this translates to energy leaving the gas through work. Then when we stop turning the knob the piston slowly comes to a stop. So I think you're implying that the gas does an amount of work proportional to the amount of heat added. So you answered part of the question, whether there will be work. But you didn't explicitly say whether this work will be equal to the amount of energy gained by the gas through heat transfer. In other words
##\Delta E_{int} = Q - W = 0##?

jbriggs444 said:

I think @kuruman was referring to a process in which individual lead shots are removed, one by one, causing the external pressure (and thus internal pressure, if the process is quasi-static) to decrease very gradually. For it to be isothermal, ##dQ = p dV## but we also have ##d(pV) = pdV + Vdp = nR dT = 0## and consequently ##dQ = -Vdp##. So for any increment (decrement) in pressure due to removing a lead shot, we can always find a corresponding amount of heat ##dQ## to add so that the process is isothermal. Would that work?

Likes jbriggs444
rtareen said:
You say that the gas will do work as the knob turn up. The pressure increases, and this translates to energy leaving the gas through work. Then when we stop turning the knob the piston slowly comes to a stop. So I think you're implying that the gas does an amount of work proportional to the amount of heat added. So you answered part of the question, whether there will be work. But you didn't explicitly say whether this work will be equal to the amount of energy gained by the gas through heat transfer. In other words
##\Delta E_{int} = Q - W = 0##?
As long as the gas expands, the work ##W## done by the gas is positive. The first law of thermodynamics always holds true. To figure out whether the heat added to the gas is greater than or less than the work done by the gas, we need to know how this heat is added. If it is added at constant temperature, the work done by the gas is equal to the heat added so no net change in the internal energy. That's the dividing line. If heat is added at constant pressure, more heat enters the gas than work leaves it so there is a net increase in the internal energy. If less than the isothermal amount of heat enters the gas while the gas expands, then the internal energy will decrease.

1. What is the definition of energy conservation?

The principle of energy conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How do you determine if the energy of a system is conserved?

To determine if the energy of a system is conserved, you must calculate the total energy of the system at different points in time and see if it remains constant. If the total energy remains the same, then the energy of the system is conserved.

3. What factors can affect the conservation of energy in a system?

The conservation of energy in a system can be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance, as well as internal forces, such as energy being converted from one form to another within the system.

4. Can the energy of a closed system ever change?

No, the energy of a closed system, where there is no exchange of energy with the surroundings, cannot change. This is because the total energy of a closed system is always conserved.

5. How does the law of energy conservation relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The law of energy conservation is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. It is the first law of thermodynamics and states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant. This is closely related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which describe the transfer and transformation of energy in a system.