Is the first 3 minutes the best pop sci book ever written

• Thread starter g.lemaitre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: I watched a video on SR by Dr. Saha and it was really helpful. Well, videos are also real helpful for understanding SR. I watched a video on SR by Dr. Saha and it was really helpful.
g.lemaitre
We don't judge pop sci books based on what level of science they assume the reader has. There are myriad levels of understanding science. Every author must choose which level they feel comfortable condescending too. We do judge pop sci books based on the significance of what they are teaching. To me nothing is more significant to the layman than the answer to the question where we come from. Before the 70s we often thought that question was completely beyond science. Weinberg showed in the 70s that finally we actually could have some very precise info about where we come from. He explained that idea to the layman albeit to a layman who had done some very hard work in understanding science, nevertheless he put all the info together for a student of science to understand. For me, therefore, Weinberg deserves the laurels of having written the best pop sci book ever.

Let's take another candidate for best pop sci book. Einstein wrote pop sci books. I know because I read them, albeit 12 years ago. Einstein told us that time and length were not exactly fixed. That's significant and pretty wild but it is not as significant as knowing the origin of the universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
g.lemaitre said:
Let's take another candidate for best pop sci book. Einstein wrote pop sci books. I know because I read them, albeit 12 years ago. Einstein told us that time and length were not exactly fixed. That's significant and pretty wild but it is not as significant as knowing the origin of the universe.

I didn't get much out of Einstein's little pop book on relativity. There's another little book about the same size and length by Barnett called "The Universe and Dr. Einstein" that I thought was much better. Einstein liked it too as he wrote the preface to it.

DiracPool said:
I didn't get much out of Einstein's little pop book on relativity. There's another little book about the same size and length by Barnett called "The Universe and Dr. Einstein" that I thought was much better. Einstein liked it too as he wrote the preface to it.

Well, videos are also real helpful for understanding SR

1. What is "Is the first 3 minutes the best pop sci book ever written" about?

"Is the first 3 minutes the best pop sci book ever written" is a book written by physicist and cosmologist Steven Weinberg. It explores the history and current understanding of the Big Bang theory and the first three minutes of the universe's existence.

2. Why is this book considered the best pop sci book ever written?

This book is considered the best pop sci book ever written because it presents complex scientific concepts in a clear and engaging manner that is accessible to non-experts. It also includes interesting anecdotes and historical context that make the subject matter more relatable and interesting.

3. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone who is interested in learning more about the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe. It can be enjoyed by both science enthusiasts and general readers looking to expand their knowledge on this topic.

4. Is this book still relevant in today's scientific landscape?

Yes, this book is still relevant in today's scientific landscape. While some of the information may have been updated or revised since its original publication in 1977, the core concepts and theories discussed in the book are still widely accepted and studied in the scientific community.

5. Are there any other notable books on the same topic?

Yes, there are other notable books on the topic of the Big Bang theory and the origins of the universe, such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. However, "Is the first 3 minutes the best pop sci book ever written" is often considered a classic in the genre and stands out for its clear and engaging writing style.