Is the hamiltonian in the coordinate representation always diagonal?

In summary, the Hamiltonian of a quantum mechanical system is not always diagonal in the coordinate representation. However, when the potential is local, meaning it can be described by a diagonal matrix, the Hamiltonian can be written in a diagonal form. This allows for the Schrodinger equation to be a differential equation in the X-representation. The proof for this can be shown mathematically by using the relations between the position and momentum operators and applying them to the Hamiltonian matrix.
zedya
In the coordinate representation of a quantum mechanical system, is it always true that the Hamiltonian of the system is diagonal? If so, can someone explain to me why this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the Hamiltonian of a qm system need not be diagonal in the coordinate rep. The Hamiltonian of a free particle is diagonal in p, not in x. The 1-dim. harmonic oscillator is neither diagonal in x nor in p.

zedya said:
In the coordinate representation of a quantum mechanical system, is it always true that the Hamiltonian of the system is diagonal? If so, can someone explain to me why this is true?

What led you to believe that it was?

I think someone said something of that sort a while back... and I made a note of it. It's been confusing me for several days. Because I was pretty sure that it made no sense. I wanted to check basically. Thanks for your replies.

zedya said:

Let me explain to you what people mean when they say that.
In the X-representation, a potential is said to be local if it can be described by the following diagonal matrix;

[tex]\langle x | \hat{V} | y \rangle = \delta (x-y) V(x)[/tex]

So, when the potential is local, the Hamiltonian is diagonal in the sense that it can be written as

[tex]\langle x| \hat{H}| y \rangle = H(x,-i\partial_{x}) \delta(x-y)[/tex]

where

[tex]H(x,-i\partial_{x}) = -\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + V(x)[/tex]

This diagonal form of H is the one and only reason why Schrodinger equation is a differential equation in the X-representation;

[tex]i\partial_{t} \Psi (x) = \int dy \langle x|\hat{H}|y\rangle \Psi(y)[/tex]

When V is not local, the Hamiltonian will not have a diagonal form and Schrodinger equation becomes an integral equation.

This also happens in the P-representation where the Hamiltonian has the following non-diagonal form;

[tex]\langle P|\hat{H}|\bar{P}\rangle = P^{2} \delta(P - \bar{P}) + V(P - \bar{P})[/tex]

where

[tex]V(p) = \int dx V(x) e^{iPx}[/tex]

and

[tex]i\partial_{t}\Psi(x) = P^{2} \Psi(x) + \int d \bar{P} V(P - \bar{P}) \Psi(\bar{P})[/tex]

regards

sam

Last edited:
samalkhaiat said:
So, when the potential is local, the Hamiltonian is diagonal in the sense that it can be written as

where

[tex]H(x,-i\partial_{x}) = -\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} + V(x)[/tex]

So, one more question (thanks a lot for this reply by the way, beautiful explanation)... how would you prove the above? I always get confused with notation stuff... how would you prove that

is true mathematically?

Thanks again.

zedya said:
So, one more question (thanks a lot for this reply by the way, beautiful explanation)... how would you prove the above? I always get confused with notation stuff... how would you prove that

is true mathematically?

Thanks again.

In the X-representation, and for an arbitrary ket [itex]|\Psi\rangle[/itex], we have;

[tex]\langle x|\hat{X}|\Psi \rangle = x \langle x| \Psi \rangle \equiv x\Psi(x)[/tex]

[tex]\langle x|\hat{P}|\Psi\rangle = -i \partial_{x}\langle x|\Psi\rangle \equiv\ –i \partial_{x}\Psi(x)[/tex]

Now letting [itex]|\Psi\rangle[/itex] be the position eigenket [itex]|y\rangle[/itex], we get

[tex]\langle x |\hat{X}| y \rangle =x \langle x |y \rangle = x \delta (x-y)[/tex]

[tex]\langle x |\hat{P}| y \rangle = -i \partial_{x}\delta(x-y)[/tex]

Next, write

[tex]
\langle x |\hat{P}^{2} | \Psi \rangle = \int \ dy \ \langle x |\hat{P} | y \rangle \langle y | \hat{P} | \Psi \rangle
[/tex]

and use the above relations to obtain

[tex]
\langle x |\hat{P}^{2} | \Psi \rangle = (-i)^{2} \partial_{x} \int \ dy \delta(x-y) \partial_{y} \langle y | \psi \rangle = - \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} \langle x | \Psi \rangle
[/tex]

Again, let [itex] |\Psi \rangle = |y \rangle [/itex] to get

[tex]\langle x | \hat{P}^{2} | y \rangle = -i \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} \delta (x-y)[/tex]

Now if you put the above in the Hamiltonian matrix ( 2m = 1),

[tex] \langle x| \hat{H} |y \rangle = \langle x | \hat{P}^{2}| y\rangle + \langle x | \hat{V}| y \rangle [/tex]

you will get what you wanted.

Regards

sam

Last edited:

Related to Is the hamiltonian in the coordinate representation always diagonal?

1. Why is it important for the Hamiltonian to be diagonal in the coordinate representation?

The Hamiltonian being diagonal in the coordinate representation is important because it simplifies the equations of motion and makes it easier to solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of a system. It also allows for a clearer understanding of the physical properties of the system.

2. Is the Hamiltonian always diagonal in the coordinate representation?

No, the Hamiltonian is not always diagonal in the coordinate representation. It depends on the specific system and the choice of coordinates. In some cases, it may be more convenient to use a different representation, such as the momentum representation, where the Hamiltonian may be diagonal.

3. How do you know if the Hamiltonian is diagonal in the coordinate representation?

The Hamiltonian being diagonal in the coordinate representation can be determined by looking at the potential energy function of the system. If the potential energy is independent of position, then the Hamiltonian will be diagonal. However, if the potential energy depends on position, then the Hamiltonian will not be diagonal.

4. What are the benefits of using the coordinate representation for the Hamiltonian?

Using the coordinate representation for the Hamiltonian allows for a more intuitive understanding of the system and its physical properties. It also simplifies the equations of motion and makes it easier to solve for the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system.

5. Can the Hamiltonian be made diagonal in the coordinate representation if it is not initially?

Yes, it is possible to transform the Hamiltonian to a diagonal form in the coordinate representation through a change of basis. This can be done by using a linear combination of the original basis states that diagonalize the Hamiltonian, known as eigenstates.