Asymmetric top eigenfunction

In summary, the eigenfunctions for a symmetric top can be found exactly using Wigner matrices, but for an asymmetric top, this is not possible in general. While it is possible to diagonalize the Hamiltonian and obtain linear combinations of symmetric top wavefunctions, there is no conventional set of special functions that describes the eigenfunctions. However, the eigenfunctions can be solved numerically, and the coefficients can be determined using the stationary states of the time-independent Schrodinger equation.
kelly0303
Hello! I read that for a symmetric top (oblate or prolate) we can find the exact eigenfunctions (in terms of Winger matrices) and eigenstates, but we can't do it in general for an asymmetric top. I am not sure I understand why. The Hamiltonian for an asymmetric top, for a given J, can be written in terms of ##J^2##, ##J_z##, ##J^+## and ##J^-## (where the operators are in the intrinsic frame). So for a given J, we can build the Hamiltonian (2J+1 x 2J+1 matrix), which will mix different values of K. But we can diagonalize this Hamiltonian (which is initially in the basis of the symmetric top wavefunction), and from there extract the energies and eigenfunctions (which will be linear combinations of the symmetric top wavefunction). Why is this not true in general? Can't we always get the eigenfunctions of an asymmetric top in this way? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:
we can't do it in general for an asymmetric top
I think in this case "we can't find eigenfunctions" translates to "we could find them numerically if we really wanted to, but they're ugly". It really just means that there's no conventional set of special functions in the major textbooks that describes asymmetric top eigenfunctions. In contrast, for the symmetric top we have the Wigner D matrices which have all those fancy algebraic properties. Saying "we can't find the asymmetric top eigenfunctions" is really more of a cosmetic statement than a factual one. Smells like theorist-speak to me :oldbiggrin:

Twigg said:
I think in this case "we can't find eigenfunctions" translates to "we could find them numerically if we really wanted to, but they're ugly". It really just means that there's no conventional set of special functions in the major textbooks that describes asymmetric top eigenfunctions. In contrast, for the symmetric top we have the Wigner D matrices which have all those fancy algebraic properties. Saying "we can't find the asymmetric top eigenfunctions" is really more of a cosmetic statement than a factual one. Smells like theorist-speak to me :oldbiggrin:
Thank you! But I am still confused. Assuming we know the 3 moments of inertia, we can write the wavefunction of an asymmetric top as a linear combination of wavefunctions of symmetric tops (by diagonalizing the Hamiltonian in a J subspace, as I mentioned in the original post). So for example for ##J=1## the wavefunction would be of the form:

$$aD_{-1}^1+bD_{0}^1+cD_{1}^1$$

where D are the Wigner matrices and a, b and c are constants that depend on the moments of inertia. So the wavefunction has a clear analytical solution. I am not sure why we would need numerical methods for this. Also one can still take advantage of the Wigner matrix properties appearing there (of course not as easily as in a pure symmetric top case).

I feel like you're right, since ##J^2## should still commute with the asymmetric top hamiltonian. The coefficients a, b, and c will change in time according to the time-dependent schrodinger equation, and those may need to be solved numerically (maybe it has analytic solutions, I really don't know off the top of my head).

Edit: I misunderstood what you meant initially. Now I understand that you mean you could solve for the eigenfunctions of the time-independent schrodinger equation for a, b, and c that make the stationary states of the asymmetric top. Yes this makes perfect sense to me! Nice work!

Likes kelly0303

1. What is an asymmetric top eigenfunction?

An asymmetric top eigenfunction is a mathematical representation of the energy state of a molecule that has three unequal principal moments of inertia. It describes the distribution of energy within the molecule and is an important aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How is an asymmetric top eigenfunction calculated?

The calculation of an asymmetric top eigenfunction involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the molecule, which takes into account the molecule's geometry, mass, and potential energy. This is typically done using computational methods such as the variational method or the Hartree-Fock method.

3. What information can be obtained from an asymmetric top eigenfunction?

An asymmetric top eigenfunction provides information about the energy levels and energy distribution within a molecule. It can also be used to calculate other properties such as dipole moments and rotational constants.

4. How does an asymmetric top eigenfunction differ from a symmetric top eigenfunction?

An asymmetric top eigenfunction describes the energy state of a molecule with three unequal principal moments of inertia, while a symmetric top eigenfunction describes the energy state of a molecule with two equal principal moments of inertia. This results in different energy levels and energy distributions for the two types of molecules.

5. What are some real-world applications of asymmetric top eigenfunctions?

An understanding of asymmetric top eigenfunctions is crucial in fields such as spectroscopy, where the energy levels and energy distribution of molecules are studied. It is also important in fields such as chemistry and materials science, where the properties of molecules and materials are influenced by their energy states.